Tax-exempt Status of Churches and the Gay Marriage Decision

by lambsbottom 34 Replies latest jw friends

• azor
    azor
    Great point lieu.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    Wt lawyers are no doubt already figuring out what to do.
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback
    If this is big enough to change any Tax exemption away from a Charitable organization, the Charitable organization will simply tell their members to go get married by a Civil Ceremony, and come back to the KH for a wedding talk. If they eliminate that ability before the country, they eliminate the penalty. They operated that way before.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Quarterback is right. That's their out. No one has legally binding marriage rites performed by elders. Too easy. Dang.
  • azor
    azor
    You guys really think they would give a talk in a kingdom hall for a gay couple. I don't know what kh you were going to but here in liberal california that would not fly. I know many a jw that would walk right out the door with that one.
  • just fine
    just fine
    I guess I was thinking more along the lines of their DF policy. If sex outside of marriage is a DF offense, how will they get around it if two gay people are legally married? Will they still attempt to DF for homosexuality? Will that be a civil rights issue then?
  • just fine
    just fine
    Or for instance a legally married gay couple being told they can't get baptized because they are gay? Won't that be a problem?
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

This is exciting news folks. The gay community is very vocal here in

California. Think about it, the Witnesses are under the radar but if the

gay community get wind of no way they could become a JW, get baptized

the sh--t will hit the fan. Picket signs outside of the KH. It would be far more effective

then one of us. Now all we need to do is put a bug in the ear of a gay leader.

JW think you folks are abhorring, all are welcome except Gays and Apostate.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

The JW's don't need to worry about the Gay Marriage issue. For them it is a non-issue. They merely need to require anyone who is being married in a KH to be a baptized witness. End of problem. It was already in the rule book that both parties need to be either baptized witnesses or a progressive bible study with both parties who wished to become baptized, but their living situation was at odds with JW teachings.

• just fine
    just fine
    I don't think it is do much of the marriage itself, for them to perform the marriage would never happen. It's more of the civil rights implications that has everyone in an uproar. There is going to a lot of legal implications from this that have nothing to do with the actual wedding ceremony.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit