what did you miss in order to attend meetings?

by jack2 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jack2
    jack2

For me, it was the NFC Championship Game three years ago in order to attend the meeting, then, on top of that, the elders had *scheduled* a meeting for that day as well, to discuss the CO visit.

Then there was a "supplemental" elder's school held a few years back that took me away from the AFC title game.

Oh, I taped the stuff, but time-shift recording of sports just doesn't cut it.

So what events/ TV shows/ stuff like that did you miss when you attended/attend meetings?

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

A life.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I missed Loony Toons because of meetings for service on Saturday mornings!

This is sad .

Sheila Bowen

• spider
    spider

When I was a kid we had the group study at our house and we always had to switch off just as the bionic man came on. I used to love that show and it quite pissed me off when the bell rang and I had to pull the plug out just as it started. Oh and knight rider - but that was okey becasue we had a video recorder by then.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Hangovers. . . oh TV shows?

I've missed meetings for the MTV music and movie awards.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Hey Jack, reading your post made me laugh out loud! Here's why:

Set the wayback machine to 1977. Our congregation (White Rock) had shared KHs with another (Lake Highlands), but we always got Sunday morning meetings. Well after a few years, Lake Highlands got tired of this arrangement and wanted to share Sundays. Well, here in Dallas we cannot miss our Cowboys games. So what the body of elders decided to do was to put the Sunday meeting times up to a vote. They cancelled the entire service meeting one night and got out a big easel board and "discussed" the advantages of a 6:00 p.m. start time. See, it was never mentioned in the meeting, but an NFL game lasts about 3 hours and most of the Cowboys games that season were scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m. So the vote was put up and the majority of the congregation voted on a 1:30 p.m. start time, which was a disaster since one would miss the beginning of the game. So they tabled a "final" vote until next week, when they again cancelled the entire service meeting to vote between 1:30 and 6 p.m. Well in the intervening week, the elders canvassed certain sections and twisted some arms and got several people to change their minds, since a "1:30 p.m. start time would be inconvenient to the pioneers and families and it would take up the whole day, etc. etc." So 6:00 p.m. was voted and passed.

Well, that year Dallas went to the Super Bowl and guess what time it started? 5:30 p.m. The elders, being sensitive to the needs of the congregation quickly convened an emergency meeting (cancelling another service meeting) to address the "6:00 p.m. Question". They magnanimously pointed out their error in suggesting 6:00 p.m. and said that since 1:30 p.m. was originally voted on and passed, that they would listen to the wishes of the flock and change times. Effective this Sunday. So we all got to see Dallas beat Denver in the Super Bowl. And we didn't miss the meetings, which after all is the most important thing. Isn't it? (heavy sarcasm)

• JT
    JT

Sanford and Son- Friday night meetings

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

The time wasted started before the meeting and continued after the meeting. I used to have to start getting the kids ready an hour before the meeting...and of course I would always look haggard because I would leave so little time for myself. Finally, exasperated, we would all arrive at the meeting with bags, books, polished shoes etc. I would sometimes rest during the meeting by day dreaming and planning my weekly activities...thats if I wasn't dragged up to do a fill in number 3 or 4 talk. But after the meeting, when most families were going home, I would be sitting in the car with the kids waiting for the elders meeting to finish. This would be very taxing on the kids...but it was what it was and we wouldn't dare complain, only the weak complain. I was so stoopid.

Sometimes on a Saturday morning while I am watching my son play rugby I reflect on my freedom - I wouldn't go back for all the tea in china.

Beck

• glitter
    glitter

"Eastenders" on Tuesdays and Thursdays *and* the repeat on Sunday if the meeting was in the afternoon! Not that I was actually allowed to watch it back then, but that's what "homework" and the BW portable telly that was in mum's room were for!

And of course every Saturday/Sunday morning kids TV show there was until we got a VCR.

Edited by - glitter on 22 August 2002 22:48:7

• Swan
    Swan

My grandmother's death. She died alone in the hospital while we were all at the Sunday meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit