Words we no longer use

by sleepy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Honest hearted ones"... what the heck does that mean?

"Fleshly sister" ... meaning your real family not just someone at the Hall

"Men of goodwill"

EVIL SLAVE CLASS

• link
    link

I used to think that "right hearted ones" had some sort of internal deformation!

What about the public speakers who end every sentence with "isn't it", "aren't they", "don't they" etc. etc. ad nauseum?

"Ones" answering up in the Watchtower who always start off with the word "Yes". Did you have one of these?

link

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

"Spirit of a sound mind" - my mother's favorite phrase - still makes me gag

"Happifying" - never used it - THIS IS NOT A WORD, GB

"Listen to his voice" - had a very strange single mother tell her kids that when my husband was trying to keep them from tearing up the car and each other while we were out in service.

"We see that" - favorite phrase to start a Watchtower comment of someone who hasn't really thought out what they're about to say or, alternatively, is about to read it directly from the mag.

"My sister" - pious-sounding form of address when elder can't remember who the hell you are.

"Little Sister Scott" - form of address guaranteed to tick off my 8-year-old, who, when she was 6, announced in the microphone, "I'm NOT little!" before she gave her comment. You go, girl!

"Negative attitude" - anything that doesn't agree with what the elder just said.

Uh-oh, I'm starting to get mad, so I'd better stop while I'm ahead!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

What phrase did I dislike the most?

To this day I can remember the feeling of revulsion when I first heard " we have a letter from mother " read from the platform. With the usual inciped grin on the face and syrupy voice.

I didn't get along well with my mother. I wonder if that had an affect on me?

NAH it was just to obviously stupid.

Hey Cruzinheart.

Believe this or not there was one BROTHER "shudder" that would often not be able to come up with his own wifes name when he was on the platform. When her hand went up every one would get this expectant look on their face. Waiting for the laughs and giggles to follow.

Edited by - outoftheorg on 22 August 2002 17:28:22

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Rendezvous, i.e. meeting for field service or possibly an illicit get together.

Back Call, i.e. Bothering people again.

Thinking Christians, i.e. JW's who do not think!

The Special Talk, i.e. Especially Bad!

Whole souled service, i.e. Giving all your time to an idol.

CO, i.e. Circle Serpent, Conscientious Objector, Congregation Overseer,

Outaservice, (Who gave it up as a lost cause)

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"Suchlike ones" - who has ever heard this phrase outside of turn of the century religious writing?

"Fleshly brother or sister" - my mother in law uses this expression constantly, even with worldly persons. They look at her like she's smoking something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit