laser surgery

by finnrot 24 Replies latest jw friends

• finnrot
    finnrot

Hi All,

I just got back from Newport Beach, where I had laser surgery on my eyes. Since the 5th grade, I have had to wear glasses. Each year my eyes have have needed a new prescription for stronger glasses into my 30's. When I took my glasses off, if I didn't put them exactly in the same place every time, I wouldn't be able to find them, even if they were only a foot in either direction.

I can now see perfectly, what a miracle!!!! My opthamologist told me that I would need glasses for reading after the surgery, but a week later, I can see sharp and clear far away and I can also read the phone book. I find I don't need glasses at all.

For those of you that can see, this is no big deal. But for those of you that have been waiting for years to get the surgery we have been hearing about for years, I can tell you, the time is now. This is fantastic.

-fin

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Welcome to the club! Isn't it great!? I had it done in 1996 and I've had zero problems with it. The only thing I've experienced is my eyes are a little dry first thing in the morning, but it's no big deal. I got my first pair of glasses when I was 8, and I've hated wearing glasses/contact lenses ever since. Isn't it great to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see the clock?

Congrats!!!!!!!!

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I have been considering this surgery as my doctor says I'm a perfect canidate (sp). Have they had studies on the long term effects yet?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Know what you mean. Finally I can go swimming and recognize everyone in the pool !! Ain't it sweet?

RK man

• finnrot
    finnrot

Hey Big Tex,

My first surgery was about 8 months ago in Sactown, and they kinda screwed it up. So I asked my doctor to send my to the guru who does surgery on the stars. So my doc sent me to Dr. Thoma in Newport Beach. Dr. Thoma is the head shmoe, I wanted the head guy, not someone who was taught by him. After all, you only get one set of peepers.

-fin

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

What particular laser surgery are you talking about.There are different types. Which one in particular was the one you got for yourselves and what was the cost.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

My best friend had this surgery five years ago. She is extremely satisfied.

I remember how she gleefully told me about not having to put on her glasses first thing in the morning to see what time it is when she woke up.

Always having great eyesight myself, it was something I never gave a second thought to.

Andee

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yow! I don't blame you. After what you went through, I'd want the best too. But everything is okay now?

As for the long term effects, I don't know. It's been 6 years for me, and I've had zero problems.

• finnrot
    finnrot

gsx, I'm not sure about long term, but I was tired of being blind, so I grabbed the bull by the horns(which I can now see).

Carmel, just don't open your eyes in the part of the pool that feels particularly warm. You'll usually find kids nearby.

BLUEBLADES, 3 thousand 5 hundred. And I'll have to look up exactly what kind of laser surgery it was.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I had PRK laser surgery, which means the procedure was done entirely by the laser itself. It was painless and took maybe 2-3 minutes. It cost $3,200 in 1996. The doctor did no cutting of the eye. An old procedure is called RK, where the improvement is done completely through the reshaping of the eye with the scalpel. The most popular procedure is LASIK. It is a combination of laser and cutting. At least, that's how I understand it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit