Do JW's pay tithing?

by Double Edge 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

A friend of mine said that JW's paid tithing. I've never heard it mentioned on this board - is this true, and if so is there a set amount? It's biblical so I would expect the JW to say something about it.

Edited to post in the correct section.

Edited by - Double Edge on 21 August 2002 16:9:44

• ballistic
    ballistic

No - that's Mormons. JWs are expected to donate all that they can. While the Momons only donate several years of their life to ministry, the dubs waste most of their lives in it. The statistics I find most wastefull to the point of sickening.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ballistic is right, but in my experience as a JW "all that you can" usually meant "almost nothing".

Also the members of the Worldwide Church of God under the leadership of Herbert W. Armstrong, paid TRIPLE tithes. The WOG published the "PLAIN TRUTH" magazine, which was similar to the Watchtower.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 21 August 2002 16:19:12

• heathen
    heathen

From what I've seen the jw tried the paying of tiths but too many people balked on it .This is really not a christian requirement .THe new testament clearly states in the acts of apostles that the new converts were required to sell all of their worldly belongings and devide it up and share as we see the corruption that set in on that issue cause the jews wanted to have more than the gentiles. I have seen first hand the chananagans the WT pulls at the conventions in order to increase the the flow of money by making announcements of being short during a convention than towards the end a guy strolls out on the stage and states they have met and exceeded their requirements.Kind of reminded me of telethons or something. They also tried this technique in the local congregation where every month they seemed to come up short ,they had to borrow money from brooklyn ...... yadda yadda

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

hmmmm...then my JW friend was fudging a little. If tithing is mentioned in the Bible (I think Abraham paid 10% of his herd or something to someone) I'm really surprised that WTS isn't that 'biblical' on the subject.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Heathern asserted, "From what I've seen the jw tried the paying of tiths...

Heathern, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to provide ANY WTS reference to back up your claim. I contend that the WTS has never asked for tithes. Dare you rise to my challenge?

• larc
    larc

In the Old Testament, one tribe of Israel was devoted to the priesthood and the governance of the nation. Tithing made sense, in order to support them. Ten percent is not much to support the religious and administrative needs of a nation. We pay a lot more than that today to support our governments.

• writerpen
    writerpen

Brings up an interesting subject. Being that it is a Biblical practice, I'm surprised the GB has not required this as part of "serving Jehovah." What I do know is that the society has always prided themselves on not passing a collection plate, etc. As for me, I rarely contributed, but would be the first one in line to get a new Bible. Isn't that terrible? Forgive me God, for I have sinned.

Edited by - writerpen on 21 August 2002 16:40:38

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I rarely contributed, but would be the first one in line to get a new Bible.

You mean the Bibles are free? Well, if people don't tithe, they don't pass the plate, where do they get the money to run individual congregations?

• LB
    LB

The average JW donates nothing. Most congregations run on little money. Ours cost about 1200 bucks a month to keep open. That worked out to around 10 bucks per publisher, yet many months we had to have a little talk to get people to catch up with our bills.

I'd say that about 10 publishers in my old hall carried the rest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit