Do JW's pay tithing?

by Double Edge 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seven006
    seven006

Double Edge,

The cost of running a congregation is fairly low. Being a religion and a nonprofit organization they do not pay taxes. None of the elders or members are paid and any building, or hall maintenance is done with donated labor.

When the utilities bills come up a bit short the brother that does the congregation accounting usually will go up at the end of the service meeting and read the accounting report. If they are a bit short, the money seems to miraculously appear after the accounting report is read from the platform and found to be a bit short.

The watchtower society makes money several ways. They own a tun of real-estate that they buy and sell. They publish books and magazines and sell them at a definite profit. They also have several million older JW's who leave them money in their wills. Many of these older JW's do not have children to leave their money to because when they were younger they had been "encouraged" not to have children because they were too close to the time of the end. The WT society has been named benefactor to many wills. Since they are nonprofit, they do not pay inheritance tax on this money.

Once all those older JW's are all dead and gone I'm sure the JW leaders will find a way to get more money. Their recent attempt at TV advertising should help.

Dave

• jgnat
    jgnat

One of the selling points of the WTS is that they do not pass the plate. Nor is there a requirement for tithing. The WTS picks and chooses which sections of the OT are applicable for today.

The WTS criticizes "christendom's churches" for bleeding their followers for money, and portrays these religions as being fat and loaded with jewels. A nice illustration of the Pope properly decked out in his finery does the trick. Instead, the Society has cute little boxes at the back of the hall and conventions - more spiritual apparently, than a plate.

From my observation, the WTS makes money by keeping costs down. The WTS has a virtually free labour force. Many congregations share the same building, in shifts; a unified labour force can be quite efficient. At least here in Canada, the study groups take turns doing the janitorial and yard duties. I have read rather tragic stories of missionaries who literally gave their lives to the work, only to be turned down for pension or even a plane ticket home.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thanks for all your posts...it's much clearer now.

• TR
    TR

Dave,

When the utilities bills come up a bit short the brother that does the congregation accounting usually will go up at the end of the service meeting and read the accounting report. If they are a bit short, the money seems to miraculously appear after the accounting report is read from the platform and found to be a bit short.

That was my job as a M.S. Oh Joy.

TR

• seven006
    seven006

TR,

No shit, you made MS? I left the religion when I was 28 and never made MS. I didn't really try very hard either.

I can't believe those people were stupid enough to let you handle the money. Did they ever notice a little missing over the years? BTW, how's your daughter doing in college?

I need to take a trip up to Spokane, I have a JW sister who lives there. She hasn't had a chance to shun me in person for years.

Dave

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

That was my job too. All I ever seen in the "Donation Boxes" were moths. Tithing, no way but they should. JW'S think Jehovah will provide. Everything is free. No need to worry. Quit your job and go on welfare & pioneer. Our Congo was ALWAYS ALWAYS in the RED.

• heathen
    heathen

natas- I was merely relating my observations of the congregation I was attending .I was never a JW but I did attend meetings and one of the things that came to mind after reading this thread was a time when one of the church members was talking about other individuals who refused to pay tiths.As to whether it was in the watchtower I wouldn't know I do not read the watchtower on a regular basis but have read some.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

What's wrong with passing the plate?

• Dia
    Dia

Yet, they are very, very rich.

Where's it coming from? How many people actually placed magazines and received donations? How much?

Any guesses? What do you remember?

I'm impressed by the woman here who said she was no good at placing magazines, but she just said she did and filled out the slip and then just gave them her own cash to cover them.

I wonder how common that is? Lord knows, they DO know how to induce GUILT!

• dsgal
    dsgal

They do not tithe but every now and then there will be a study in the km about giving to the organization.They also put a reminder in the watchtower sometimes that you can put the society in your will and make them the beneficiary on your life insurance policies.This is something I never thought was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit