worst JW introductions

by sleepy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

"We've been talking to you and your neighbors" (This is the worst; one lady thought we were gathering information to spread to the neighbors about her.)

"We've been making brief calls" (and then talk for 15 minutes)

"We're here to share a positive thought..." (and then talk about the destruction of the wicked)

Techniques guaranteed to doom your mission

1. Ask a question but don't give them time to answer

2. Ask a question and answer it yourself

3. Ask a question and not listen to their answer

4. Ask a question and not respond to their answer

5. Ask a question and dismiss their answer

In response to the recent push by the CO and the KM to get publishers to use a scripture in their introductions...

Just a couple of years ago, JWs were discouraged from bringing out their Bible in the beginning and using a scripture because it would turn people off....first engage their interest then slip the Bible in.

What's wrong with the FDS, use the Bible, don't use the Bible, use the Bible, don't use the Bible.

Ever had an elder or the CO tell you to hold off on telling the person at the door that you were a JW. Like they didn't know that when you walked up to the door. The HBH (home but hiding) are very astute at recognizing JWs in their neighborhood.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

blondie, it just all comes down to sales does'nt it? I train my sales team to do exactly the same thing: Social Approach, Establish needs and wants, show features and benefits, listen, ask open ended questions, yadda yadda yadda. We've even got a book similar to "Reasoning from the scriptures" for every rejection. One slight difference though - we are actually sucessful in our client interest.

O.k, I hated the doors, and it went a little like this.

Mother and daughter out witnessing, daughter frantically looking around her to make sure no high school mates are around. Daughter grasps silly WT and Awake, dreading the door. Daughter pretends to ring bell, but doesnt actualy press it, mother nudges her in back "KNOCK" says mother. Daughter knocks, shooting mother dirty look. Youngish guy comes to door, daughter trys to hide behind mothers back but mother expertly sidesteps so daughter is revealed.

Daughter: "Um, hi, were just calling around your neighbourhood today (voice quickens almost to the point of non-recognition) and offering these two magazines, the WT and Awake, this one (flashing guy Awake very quickly) has a very interesting article called "Walruses - what are they good for?" - i'm sure you will enjoy them - they are just 80c to cover the printing cost"

Young guy: "Um........"

Daughter: "No? No problem, see you later" Daughter power walks back down driveway with mother running to keep up.

That was the basically the context of every single presentation I ever made, under the force of my parents. I absolutely hated witnessing.

• Swan
    Swan

LOL @ in_between_days!

"Walruses - what are they good for?"
    That ranks right up there with "Watch Out! Spies About!"
  • LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I am seriously LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff is too funny,, I guess that means we have come along way in our recovery from the cult. We are able to laugh at ourselves and how pitiful we were!!!!LOL

My sister and I loved to work together so we could fake our way thru it. We had down the walk very slowly so as to not get many doors , I had probs with feet so it was easy to explain. We also did not ring the door bell, we would play with the householders cat or dog for as long as we could. We would stand at the end of the driveway,, writing our house to house record,,,,,,,,,, very slowly,, where is my pen,,,, where is my record book??? Drop it a few times, spill all papers on the ground . These little tactics did take up a few minutes. My mom hated service more than we did , so she was ready to tell dear ole dad that my feet were hurting and I needed to get off of them.I was her scapegoat...LOL.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I was reading this at the same time as a thread on tithing - and lets face it, the society would be better off encouraging their members to study academic subjects diligently, go to college, get good jobs, be compelled to give 10% of their income to the society. The society would then be stinking rich and with a regular income with would enable it research and write good and interesting literature and mail it out free to targeted audiences.

At the moment, they do the opposite. Members like me were told the end is to close to go to college (although I did after I left the org) and I spent hours and hours peddling the mags to no avail.

With the scenario above, both the society and the members would be winners (as I now know), I am earning a lot more than 10% extra than I was without an education.

• sleepy
    sleepy

There was a brother in my hall who used to talk VERY quitely and slur his words, it was very difficult to understand what he was saying even when you knew him.

I remmeber him doing presentations and I didn't know what he said let alone the householder who would usually stare for a bit and ask what he said , which he would repeat just as mumbled as at first in the end in would have to butt in and speak for him.Quite embarrassing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit