re: question on the magi

by A Paduan 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yadirf
  • A Paduan
    A Paduan

A star shall rise out of Jacob

The Magi from the east are the worldly wise behold, men having their backs towards the temple of the Lord and their faces towards the east

But we have seen his star - we have seen his grace amid the vanity of the world - sinners who see the light.

By this light they are drawn to Gods chosen people - but Herod is king there, and they do not find Him there - but he's near. Where is He that is born King of the Jews?

The devil is troubled by people not glorying in him - w hen Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all with him - and all Jerusalem by their lives, the inclusion of those from the east, and the perceived absence of 'He who is born King'.

When they turn away to 'Herods' secret summons they lose sight of the star (Nevertheless, return to me saith the Lord) - and they depart, go their way.

And seeing the star they rejoiced with exceeding great joy - like prodigal sons who return to themselves and go 'inside the house', they enter - and entering the house they found the child with Mary his mother, and, falling down, they adored him

A joyful story of sinners who repent, but Herod doesnt like all that, no glorying for him, no simple affections of reason envy slayeth the little one

Paduan

I am the root and stock of David, the bright and morning star Shall not I that make others to bring forth children, myself bring forth? Says the Lord

And for the jws, why didn't Satan show Herod the star?

Edited by - a paduan on 21 August 2002 19:49:48

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

And for the jws, why didn't Satan show Herod the star?

Herod wasn't an astrologer, that's why!

Friday

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Satan can only show astologers the way somewhere?

The magi deceived Herod, repented from being sinners, that's the journey they were on - and that's why christendom tells the story - to preach repentance, as He said.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 22 August 2002 2:52:30

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Paduan (aka Bang),

Satan can only show astologers the way somewhere?

Think, Bang, think! Kings wear crowns, astrologers study the stars.

Friday

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

This star came to rest over the place where the child was.

I'll stick with the repentance version, rather than the conspiracy, but for now I'm out of time - Lord willing I'll study it and post again.

paduan

Oh, when the magi deceived Herod, why didn't the star get brighter - and follow Jesus to Egypt ?

Hang on, don't tell me, I know. Chasing Him off was enough.

Looking further - paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 22 August 2002 3:45:11

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Yardiff,

Just a question, Isaiah 14:10-15 How do you read that?

paduan

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Paduan,

Oh, when the magi deceived Herod, why didn't the star get brighter - and follow Jesus to Egypt ?

First, like most people do you make the mistake of assuming that the star was a MOVING star (see below). Since Satan, at this point in the story, had already observed that God was indeed watching over Jesus in order to protect him ( in that He had thwarted Satan's attempt to get Jesus killed by Jealous King Herod, by means of sending the Magi back to their country another way other than via Jerusalem), Satan would thereafter have no reason to hope that the star that he had made to appear could be of any further use in threatening the life of the Messiah.

Isaiah 14:10-15 How do you read that?

It's noteworthy that the "star" (NIV & RSV) of verse 12 has reference to the

King of Babylon (see verses 3 and 22). Too, it's interesting (and consistent) that the Magi interpreted the so-called "star" they saw as indicative that a person had been born destined to become a King . As I've already explained, within the links supplied previously, it IS a mistake to assume that the Magi "followed" the star, as if they saw it in motion. Not once did the Magi ever see the star move. When the star first appeared to them it no doubt lay off in the direction of Israel, and that's the reason they went into Jerusalem inquiring about a newborn King THERE. Likewise, after they departed from Jerusalem and were on their way to Bethlehem in obedience to Herod's wish they did not see the star in motion ... they did NOT "follow" the star to Bethlehem. Instead, when they arrived in Bethlehem the star was already there waiting for their arrival, stationary over the home of Jesus -- precisely where Satan positioned it.

Friday

Edited to restore the apostrophes, which I originally supplied but were somehow deleted in the posting. (Wonder why that happen's? Anybody know?)

Edited by - Yadirf on 22 August 2002 14:32:45

Edited by - Yadirf on 22 August 2002 14:40:57

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

it IS a mistake to assume that the Magi "followed" the star, as if they saw it in motion.

but

the star was already there waiting for their arrival, stationary over the home of Jesus

So it was high enough to see from the east, imprecise enough to venture into Jerusalem, but actually low enough in the sky to pick out Jesus' place.

It's stretching into a flat earth theory.

Nevertheless, how do you read Isaiah 14:10-15 ?

paduan

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

So it was high enough to see from the east, imprecise enough to venture into Jerusalem, but actually low enough in the sky to pick out Jesus' place.

It's stretching into a flat earth theory.

Was the "star" stationed over Jesus home when the Magi originally saw it? No! That's not hardly what I was saying. Was it stationed over Jerusalem at the time then? No, not even that!. What then? It apparently wasn't so very far off from them, but merely lay in the direction of Israel. Since they reckoned that the star had to do with a "king", it would therefore only be natural for them to venture to Jerusalem, the city where the King lived.

Friday

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit