re: question on the magi

by A Paduan 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I think that I read somewhere that jws believe that the magi who followed the star were 'evil' .

Is that the case - if so how did they figure that?

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 21 August 2002 0:34:42

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,

But basically the JW's believe that the Magi were astrologers and since they believe that astrology is satanic they believe that the magi were being lead and misguided by satan.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I didn't think that post worked.

Thanks. - simple as that maybe. That's very paranoid.

paduan

• heathen
    heathen

I have heard they believe the star the magi were following was Satan the devil leading them first to king herod who was also evil .

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

How do they explain - and falling down they worshipped Him ?

I think I've got it - the wtbts think that it means "bow down like a slave" or "pay homage" - like someone fearful.

Would that be it then ? - that by altering the meaning of worship, they can effectively demonise the magi - covering the fact that those "from the east" recognised the light of Christ - before those from the west.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 21 August 2002 2:23:37

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I wonder where Dungbeetle is

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

and since they believe that astrology is satanic

Well, that is not exactly correct.

But they do believe that one should not put their FAITH in astrology. The reasoning behind it is due to "POSSIBLE"

Satanic influence as Satan is the ruler of the earth therefore does not put your faith in things of earthly influence. Not because they believe astrology in itself is satanic. Satan is not the "inventor" of astrology but it is suggested he is in the drivers seat at the present time.

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

If you want to take the time to weed through the bickering and rivalry there are some interesting points and comments to read in the link below.

If you are really that interested in who's who and what's what in whatever bible youre into, just follow along the comments and get out your bible and do your homework.

Here is the link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=15854&site=3

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Well, the ' vital truth whose importance the org stresses ' about Satan's star seems like a well investigated trip down the wrong road.

"Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him."

paduan

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

A Paduan,

"Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him."

Remember, those were merely the recorded words of the Magi themselves. It was "His" star simply because it was interpreted as such by THEM.

Here's a quote from the link that Mevirginia supplied you, which bears directly on the point that you've brought up here:

The way it really was:
    Satan knew the Magis trade. He was not ignorant of the fact that when the Magi would witness something really great or spectacular in the heavens that, being astrologers, these ones would interpret such a happening as an indicator that somebody, somewhere, had been born destined to become someone great, such as a king. The mere appearance of the star told them that much, and thats what supplied them the reason for asking: Where is the one born king? (Matthew 2:2) But, apparently, how they knew that the one born was to become king of the Jews was that the star lay off in the direction of Israel. Thus the star served as a pointer, so as to identify the particular nationality of the new-born king. Naturally these star-gazers would then head out for Jerusalem, because of obvious reasons all quite in accord with Satans plan of having Jesus killed while still a young child.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=15854&site=3

Yadirf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit