Iv been thinking (now I have a headache)

by seven006 50 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

Looking at this board and the various kinds of thoughts, beliefs, maturity levels, insecurities, as well as an individuals time span on this board one main dilemma seems to keep popping up, That dilemma is freedom of expression verses the possible alienation of a new poster fresh out of the JW mindset.

The board wars (or being able to express a controversial and contrary opinion) and the use of colorful language (my personal favorite) seem to be jeopardized because of the concern of possibly loosing or offending an IMPORTANT NEW poster who we all have to agree means something to us all (we were all there once in our lives). The dilemma seems to ride on personal freedoms of old and established poster who are not easily offended by controversial things and the sensitivity of those who are experiencing the REAL WORLD for possibly the first time in their lives and have just made a dramatic life change.

I personally am very concerned about a new poster who is confused and looking for some answers, I think most of us are. I completely understand Simon's wishes to try and not offend them. I am also concerned with being able to speak my mind and use a little more freedom in the words I use to describe certain things and or people when discussing things with the more seasoned posters. As many have stated, we have had our lips sealed and our thoughts controlled for too long and if we have to keep them sealed here what makes this place any different then the controlling and thought stifling place we all left?

I have a suggestion for a solution. Of course it means a little more coding work for Simon, but since he is one of those geek computer nerds and he loves to figure out how to do this kind of stuff he should like this one.

What if:

The friends part of this board stays the same and any other section that might be a bit controversial changes a bit. Right now all you have to do it hit the active button and everything shows up. If it was set up that the controversial sections only popped up on a viewers screen after they have posted least say 250 posts then it would be impossible for them to see us all being crazy and abusive to each other. Not only will this keep the new ones from being offended until they are ready for it, it will also keep the Brooklyn spies from reading our more personal disagreements and reporting back to their little Bethel gods? IF they don't post, but only read, they can't reach the 250 post level to be able to view the more advanced and controversial threads.

This way, we can be nice in the friends section (or any other milder sections) and slowly break new ones into the real life as we know it and keep the butt tunnel Bethelite voyeurs out of our business. After 250 posts, if someone is still posting they have probably adjusted to life outside of the JW world long enough to be able to handle the more seasoned posters and the more advanced discussions.

This will also keep new trolls in check and out of the more controversial discussions. If they take a thread and begin to cause trouble the thread is simply moved to the 250 post and above viewing and their bullstuff will quickly be defused. The new exJW won't have to deal with them and some of us older and more creative posters can do with their comments as we please.

This will also make You Know be forced into proving what he states his only purpose for being here is to reach out to the new posters who may want to hear his egotistical words of self righteousness. If he posts in the section were all us seasoned posters are he well be shown to be a liar and that his purpose is not what he claims but rather he is just here to stirr up shit. If he does post in the 250 post and up sections we can deal with him as we please and not worry about new posters being offended by his bullshit or our kind and concerned replies to him. Same with Yardstick..

Also, if a poster gets out of hand, instead of deleting their account, You give them a warning and if they persist, you just send them back to babyland and start their level of posts back at 1. If they persist then you delete their account. If they are a troll and they want to use several new account names and play games, they will never get up to 250 posts and thus will stay out of the more controversial threads. If they are a troll and we cannot see that fact within 250 posts then possibly they are not a troll or we are just too stupid to see that they are.

Any thoughts?

Dave

• ISP
    ISP

Could you get extra posts by posting nice and considerate stuff??

ISP

• Bgurltryal
    Bgurltryal

Also, if a poster gets out of hand, instead of deleting their account, You give them a warning and if they persist, you just send them back to babyland and start their level of posts back at 1. If they persist then you delete their account. If they are a troll and they want to use several new account names and play games, they will never get up to 250 posts and thus will stay out of the more controversial threads. If they are a troll and we cannot see that fact within 250 posts then possibly they are not a troll or we are just too stupid to see that they are.

I like this idea. One should get a warning and explenation of exactly what one is doing wrong before one is simply wiped from exhistance, in my opinon.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

An interesting idea ... but for me, it sucks :o)

Check my score at the side ... if I was cut out of the big boys talk due to my score, I'd find it insulting.

Plus you could easily pump your score up by posting against anything and everything and then get let into the big boys club.

Maybe a written examination would be more fitting (I jest of course).

• SYN
    SYN

Interesting idea, but difficult to implement and a lot of people would feel "shunned"...

• seven006
    seven006

<<<Could you get extra posts by posting nice and considerate stuff??>>>

ISP,

Why would you want to do that? If the extra posts with nice stuff in them is done to get into the more contraversial section then what is the point?

The reward for being a continues poster, reaching 250 posts and developing a tough skin by being out of the JW for a longer period of time is the right to play in big boy and big girl land. All the nice people can continue to post in the nice people section. All the bad boys and girls can post in the nice section if they want to be nice. If they don't want to post in the nice section and they reach 250 posts then they can post in the Farkel section with the rest of us cynical bastards.

I think it really solves a problem. I know Simon would love to cuss, but he is too concerned about the new posters just like I am. Having to use nice lanuage makes me want to pull my nose hairs out with a pair of vice grips.

<<<Check my score at the side ... if I was cut out of the big boys talk due to my score, I'd find it insulting.>>>

Dizzy,

Thus is the price of freedom. We all have to pay our dues, may of us have paid several times over and the same problem still exists. The idea is for peace on the overall board. I'm sure it won't make everyone happy, nothing ever dose here.

Dave

• Carmel
    Carmel

Quoteth rodney king. . . "......................................"

• seven006
    seven006

SYN,

Good point, but, how would someone feel shunned if they can still post on the majority of the board? An explanation of the 250 posting level could be given. It is for the over all peace of the board. It should keep both the ones who feel offended and the ones that don't happy.

Look at it as training wheels for your mind. This place isn't easy to get use to right away, this idea may help. Maybe the 250 level is too high. Maybe it could be at 100. I'm just trying to figure a way out to make both the new ones and the old ones happy. If you have a better idea, lets hear it.

Dave

• JeffT
    JeffT

Interesting idea, but there are some problems with implementation. What to do you do with somebody like me? When I surfed in here in June of last year I'd been out of the borg for twelve years. I had You Know, Fred Hall etc figured out three minutes after I got here.

I think this may just be a problem we have to live with.

• seven006
    seven006

That's a very good point Jeff, I don't have an answer for that one yet. Let me go and consult my friend Jack Daniels and I'll get back to you on that one.

Dave

PS: Wait a second, this is Simon's board, let him figure it out, I am only allotted two ideas per day. My first one was to turn the alarm clock off this morning, don't confuse me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit