Selective Banning

by Elsewhere 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

So JanH..if there is a consensus among a large majority of people on the board that have a low opinion of certain users that slander, distract us from issues, hijack threads, personally insult us, attempt to discredit Bill's work, and on and goddam on, is this mob behavior? If we could all turn off You Know's drivel, would it matter? Perhaps in your opinion that denying him the right to be heard via individual choice is the same as banning him totally from the board. I'm sure there are many that enjoy dealing with him. I can see where you can defend his right to speak, but I would ask you to examine your motive. He never apologizes, and coming from one who has demanded apology from others many times, you should be acutely aware of what I am talking about. You can go on about Orwellian conspiracy all you want, but sooner or later you start to sound like YK, and still end up defending the worst of the worst. Where are you when he comes with the insults in regards us? When is enough enough bro? I always respect you opinions and your contributions and would expect at least you to be able to see some of my side. Cheers.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Beast of Bergen" class

• dubla
    dubla

but sooner or later you start to sound like YK

i see im not the only one who has noticed.

aa

• JanH
    JanH

Valis & Dubla,

You just disgust me. How the hell is defending YK's right to speak his opinion making me like him? YK is the opposite: a totalitarian who do not support the freedom of speech of his opponents. He supports the JW system where any deviation from toing the orthodox belief is banned.

I have been called a large number of vile names by YK over the years, when I still could be bothered to reply to his nonsense. I have had far more fights with him than any of you.

I still support his right to express his opinion, even though his particular opinion disgusts me. Today, I hardly read anything of what he writes on this board. It is boring, verbose and silly.

I can tell you a story: When I left the dubs, a JW in the computing department of the University I worked had my account immediately closed. Obviously, he didn't like the idea of me propagating "apostate" ideas through "his" department. The result was a massive outcry on the Net, including articles in paper media (and this was at a time when all newspaper articles about the internet had to explain what it was!) resulting in me getting the account reopened by the University.

Shortly afterwards, a JW at a German university was forced to close down his site because the administrators there did not like him propagating JW teachings. Me and some other exJWs publicised this fact, staged a protest on the Net and wrote to the university administrators protesting the infringment on his freedom of speech. He got his account back, and continued using it for propagating JW ideas (as far as I know). I remember he emailed me, knowing I was a "dangerous apostate" and thanked me personally.

This is what I stand for, and believe strongly in.

- Jan

Edited by - JanH on 19 August 2002 16:17:42

• dubla
    dubla

jan-

You just disgust me. How the hell is defending YK's right to speak his opinion making me like him?

i never said that defending yks right to speak makes you like him....please do not twist my words. i just thought it was nice to see someone else had noticed youve been sounding more and more like yk lately. here are my reasons, as posted on another thread:

you both dismiss opposers arguments as "stupid", "ignorant", and of course "unworthy" of response.....you both insert insults into handles (drooling about how clever it will look once posted)......you both erroneously claim victory on a regular basis......you both claim that youve somehow lowered yourself to another level by responding to unworthy posters......you both engage in stereotyping........you both ignore what you have no response for (selective rebuttals).......and of course you both resort to schoolyard namecalling in a pathetic attempt at discrediting.

on top of these reasons, id add increasing arrogance and a condescending tone. hope this helps,

aa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

One of my favorite quotes is by Thomas Jefferson:

If [a writing] be false in its facts, disprove them; if false in its reasoning, refute it. But, for God's sake, let us freely hear both sides, if we choose.

I have a real hard time swallowing censorship - even if I have to endure the nonsense of a few.

• Valis
    Valis
    You just disgust me. How the hell is defending YK's right to speak his opinion making me like him? YK is the opposite: a totalitarian who do not support the freedom of speech of his opponents.

Sir, I think you mistook my words. I was referring to the whole "Orewellian" Animal Farm analogy that you have been so fond of since the whole stupid thing started. IMO its paranoia and not constructive. Its the same thing I told bboy. Cut with the bitching and help find a solution. You still didn't answer my question about our personal right to have a feature on the board where we could block someone we didn't want to listen to, which I am not for by th by, VS him being totally banned from the board. I can already predict your response and say it will just lead to mob behavior, which I can see why you would say that, but to me is not a good enough reason. Nor does it get to the root of the matter. Why do you insist on being "disgusted" when someone doesn't agree with you? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. I can understand the importance of this issue to you, but I also think you could stop for a moment and reconsider what I said. Your friend.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• JanH
    JanH

dubla,

You are a bigot. Now, that was my take on personal insult, so we're even.

What you accused me of doing, is exactly what you and a significant number of other participants do when you run out of patience. You and many, many others do the same thing to YouKnow, for example. Or a number of other braindead dub apologists here.

Your pet peeve seems to be that I do the same to stubborn creationists once they have posted the same rebutted argument a dozen times. You don't like it? Fine. I happen to consider die-hard creationism several levels of stupdity above dub-dom. People propagating it in face of overwhelming evidence, ignoring counter arguments and repeating assertions rebutted a thousand times, for some reason make my patience wear thin.

Now, I suspect you are a form of creationist light, which is like saying you only had half a lobotomy. So I guess that I hit a bit too close to home with you..

There is very fundamental difference between me and YouKnow. I use solid arguments and facts. He doesn't. Now, I have seen no evidence that actual arguments are significant to you, but they are to me.

- Jan

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

[Sigh] Here we go again.

• JanH
    JanH

Valis,

If you don't want me to "mistake" the words you wrote to mean what they said, you should not have written them in the first place.

I begin to suspect you never read Animal Farm, btw.

I did not respond to your suggestion about an ignore feature on this thread because I have done so many, many times before. I also happen to know that it's a quite complex feature to add to the board, which may be why Simon is reluctant to do it. But yes, I think it's a great feature. I would use it extensively.

- Jan

• Simon
    Simon

I'll translate: People who disagree with me are dumb 'cause I have read lots of books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit