Selective Banning

by Elsewhere 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Simon,

I had not read your post when I responded.

I think your ideas have some merit. You would have to find us a lovely "tomatoe gif".

Karen

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Simon,badges and tomatoes?..LOL..I Like it...OUTLAW

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Well If I can throw monkey turds I guess that would be cool....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I like the analogy of the woman on her roof with binoculars. I think A LOT of what is going on can be traced back to cry babies... you know, the type that will call the city if your lawn gets just a little to long or you bring your garbage out the night before pickup. The yardstick that they measure other people against is often not in line with reality.

I like to Pimp-Slap people like that. [SMACK!]

Speaking of lawns... if an a$$ hole wants to compain about my lawn, then I guess I'll have to compain about that BIG spot of dead grass in his lawn after someone (not me ) dumps a 50 pound bag of salt in the middle of his yard!

Edited by - Elsewhere on 19 August 2002 13:23:24

• seven006
    seven006

Simon,

Considering the diversification on this board and some of the long time feuds will there be a limit on how many tomatoes one can throw in a day?

I see some throwing a tomato at a friend as a joke, will their be friendly tomatoes as well as unfriendly tomatoes?

Will there be some kind of limit to how many tomatoes one poster can throw at another in one particular thread? Someone who does not like someone else can unjustifiably throw his whole basket of tomatoes at the other poster to purposely trash his post simply because they do not like the person.

Will the tomatoes turn into pillows on the sex threads?

Just a few thoughts,

Dave

• JanH
    JanH

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Look at which threads get the highest ratings, and you'll easily see what this will become on the personal level.

I am sure it could be an interesting experiment in online group (mob) behaviour, though.

- Jan

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, there would be a limit. You can only vote once on any post. Add to that the fact that the more votes you cast, the less they get taken into consideration.

So, someone who throws tomatoes all day every day would be ignored whereas someone who rarely throws one and then decides to will be taken more seriously.

The same works in reverse with the certificates / badges / awards.

So, I don't see how it will become the much talked about 'mob' as it will give more opportunity for the silent majority to have a say and these always out number the few highly vocal ones.

I think it's definitely worth trying.

Incidentally, the highest rated threads include some very good ones. The aim is to refine the process so that it's easier and clearer.

• Simon
    Simon

Incidentally, who is this 'mob' ... seems like one of these things that people claim but never point out.

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

I think that selective banning buttons, etc. would be just a lot of unneccessary busy work for Simon. If a poster really bugs you enough that you would use such a feature, there is a lower-tech solution...Don't read that poster's comments. Just skim past the offensive post, excercise restraint.

It's okay decide who really annoys you and to ignore their posts. It's allowed. Not everyone in this world is going to get along and it's unrealistic to think that it should be that way.

Just my opinion.

Michelle

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

myMichelle,

I would normally agree with you - if ya don't like someone... ignore 'em!

However, there seems to be too many people here with their panties in a knot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit