Born Again Christians

by Celia 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks Dakota

Thats encouraging. I will look for it too.

SS

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    As if no matter what one does in this life, it just doesn't matter. Rape, steal, murder, whatever! Just as long, in the end, you declare Jesus your "personal savior". By their standards, heaven is going to be loaded with prisoners.

Would you prefer a scenario in which God would not forgive someone who had done a lot wrong, no matter how sincerely they turned to him?

The Bible says we are not saved by works, but by faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. If the act of faith is real, then works will follow. But it is the faith that saves. Good works are a result of salvation, not the reason for it.

If someone professes faith in Christ, but then goes on living just as they did before, then their profession is likely not real. So, if someone went through their whole life doing evil with the intention of "accepting Jesus" at the last moment before they died, that would not be a valid act of faith on their part. There is no such thing as a "trust Jesus" card that one can play when he or she needs it; salvation involves committment.

However, if a person who has led an evil life really sees the error of his ways while on his deathbed, repents, and turns to Jesus, I have no doubt that that person would be saved. Would you have it any other way? Should there really be a point at which one's sins are so great that God cannot reach him?

The Bible tells us that we have all sinned, and fall short of God's glory. So everyone needs to put faith in Jesus for salvation, not just really, really bad people. What we think of as a "good" life in human terms still falls short of God's perfect standards. So even "good" people need to trust in Jesus for their salvation.

I've tried to give you a quick overview of the basic beliefs of born-again Christians in the hope that they won't seem quite so strange. Not all of us are judgmental and demanding like the church described at the beginning of this thread. Some are, to be sure, but I try not to hang around with that sort.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

So, just for the record, these aren't real:

• Celia
    Celia

Neon :

I had all that explained to me almost exactly with the same words, when I was going to that church....

However, if a person who has led an evil life really sees the error of his ways while on his deathbed, repents, and turns to Jesus, I have no doubt that that person would be saved. Would you have it any other way? Should there really be a point at which one's sins are so great that God cannot reach him?

Well, of course....He's in jail, maybe on death row ... He won't get out alive anyway, so he won't be able to show if he has changed his ways ! Can't hurt to say he repents and he's sorry... As for saying he is turning to Jesus, why not ! After all , the prisoners get frequent visits of such groups of Born Again Christians who are there to save their soul, and they probably enjoy the attention...

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO NEVER WENT TO JAIL AND LIVED A DECENT LIFE, NEVER KILLED ANYONE, OR STOLE ANYTHING, OR RAPED, MOLESTED AND ABUSED WOMEN AND KIDS... ?

They may not have "accepted Jesus as their Savior", simply because religion has never played any role in their lives. But aren't these these people also worthy of God's love ? Didn't Jesus say something to the effect that we should love our neighbor, etc. ? and that's what these "unsaved" people have done all their lives. I guess it upsets me quite a bit to see these BOC playing judge, telling others that they know who is worthy of God's love and who isn't ! What do they know !

Edited by - Celia on 22 August 2002 10:55:38

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Well, of course....He's in jail, maybe on death row ... He won't get out alive anyway, so he won't be able to show if he has changed his ways ! Can't hurt to say he repents and he's sorry... As for saying he is turning to Jesus, why not !

Why not, indeed? Which certainly ought to lead us to question many of these last minute, death row conversions as to their genuineness. Thank God, it's not up to me to be the judge, but to the One who can read what is really in their hearts! So, yes, people can say anything, and it may not always be possible to observe whether they have really changed by their actions (you cite the perfect case - a criminal who is locked up and can't do much of anything). But God knows whether they have truly repented, and His judgment is righteous.

They may not have "accepted Jesus as their Savior", simply because religion has never played any role in their lives. But aren't these these people also worthy of God's love ? Didn't Jesus say something to the effect that we should love our neighbor, etc. ? and that's what these "unsaved" people have done all their lives.

Well, as I pointed out earlier, we have all sinned. God's standards are so much higher than our own, that he says in Isaiah, even our righteousness is like filthy rags before him. All the good works in the world can't give us salvation, but a simple act of faith can, as a free gift. At John 7:15-17, it says:

Jews were amazed and asked, "How did this man get such learning without having studied?" Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

I would take part of the meaning of that verse to be that God is capable of drawing people to himself, if they are willing to obey him. If a person who is a "good" person in human terms repeatedly hears the gospel message and rejects it, would such a person be saved? I don't think so. How can you give a gift to someone who will not accept it? If a person never had the opportunity to hear, I wouldn't presume to judge what God might do in their case. I certainly can't see billions of people throughout history being condemned because they never even heard the name of Jesus Christ. But for those who have heard, I think that there is responsibility.

Again, I'm glad that He is the judge, not me.

I guess it upsets me quite a bit to see these BOC playing judge, telling others that they know who is worthy of God's love and who isn't ! What do they know !
    I'm inclined to agree with you. I've become as frustrated with fellow Christians as you probably have with them. We can state general principles about sin and salvation, and we can declare the gospel and try to lead others to Christ. But anyone who presumes to judge the personal salvation of another human being is way over the line, in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit