Born Again Christians

by Celia 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Celia
    Celia

Something is bothering me. From time to time I watch two or three little boys, the sons of a young woman I know. I did again 2 days ago, as she needed to go to the mall with a friend for back-to-school shopping. She took her last one with her, the baby. These little kids are really nice kids, polite and all.

So they had a ball with my son all day long, playing Nintendo, swimming in the pond and what have you. During lunch break, we were talking about the 6 year old starting school this fall. His 8 y.o. brother said that he is sad, bacause one of their best friend at that school won't be here anymore. They go to a "Christian School" -- almost no teachers -- they use these homeschooling books there -- looked into it when we wanted to take our son out of the miserable public school here... Not for us ! Too much emphasis on "witnessing" their faith, trying to save as many people as possible. The English class uses only the Bible as material ! and also, they still discipline the kids if they do something wrong, with a paddle on the butt ! I was shocked !

Anyway. So I ask, why isn't he coming back to that school ? Because his Mom won't go to church on Sunday.... Say, what ? So when the Mother comes late afternoon to pick up two of her brood, I asked about that. Jake is quite upset that his best friend won't be coming to their school anymore, what's the deal ? Well, the school wants everyone to go to church with their kids, no exceptions... This kid goes to church, but alone not with a parent... The mother of Mitch is a work addict, she works 60 hours a week, she's kind of a manager there, she is into making lots of money... I forgot all she said, but it came down to : As a woman, she should not be working, or at least not so much, this is not her job, the husband can work all he wants but not the wife... she also said that they all hope and pray that she will change her ways, and Mitch will hate it so much in the public school that he will beg her to go to church with him so he can go back to his old school...

Wow ! another intolerant cult in my opinion ! Women stay in your place ! Isn't that blackmailing ? Either you go to Church and stop working so much and making so much money, or we throw your kid out of our chool ?

Just venting....

Edited by - Celia on 18 August 2002 12:38:0

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Celia, this is a pime example of why I have lost all use for all religions. I have found the BACs (Born Again Christians) to be as intolerant and cultish as the JWs, if not more so. They too are not open to discussion on any points and if you disagree with them, you will be burning in hell for eternity.

When will people ever wake up and find that religion isn't what it is cracked up to be? Rather than a safe haven and place of comfort, it is a "snare and a racket," brainwashing otherwise decent people into believing they are somehow chosen over others and will be saved, so long as they do exactly as they are told by their leaders.

It is nothing more than a crutch and sadly, many use it to keep from having to be responsible for themselves.

I am trying to keep believing in God, seeking answers still, but cannot abide by any religious doctrines any longer. Religion has caused many wars and is responsible for much bloodshed throughout history. Yet, Jesus taught love of neighbor and enemies. Makes you think, doesn't it?

I once read that women were declared human by one vote in one of the Catholic Church's Councils centuries ago. It was in "The Rape of the APE (American Puritan Ethic) by Allan Sherman (of Hello Muddah Hello, Faddah fame). As far as I am concerned, "man has dominated man to his injury" has been fulfilled by religion.

Lew W

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Celia,

Wow, I homeschool my kids. I would never be a part of a group like that. I guess I consider myself born again too, since believers must be in order to see the kingdom of God. The world is full of all kinds of people and wacky ideals...........please don't let that incident make you judge all of us Christian home-schoolers. With Love, DJ

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The group you describe sounds somewhat extreme, and almost cultic. Please don't tar all born-again Christians with the same brush. There really is a lot of diversity between different churches in matters of faith and conscience. Some churches are, indeed, extreme, controlling and very nearly cultic. Others are loving and warm, and encourage freedom of conscience. The neat part is, unlike JW's, born-again Christians are not part of a large, overbearing organization that attempts to make everybody clones of one another. If you're uncomfortable in a church, you're free to find another. And you won't be shunned for doing so.

• Celia
    Celia

Last year, I went to their church 3 or 4 Sundays in a row, with my kid. There was Bible school after the service for the kids, and the parents had their own Bible study upstairs. I soon noticed that they wanted me to agree with their views, and when I asked uneasy questions, some of the participants turned around and looked at me like I was an alien. The pastor once brought up the subject of women being the men's helpers and should be obedient... that was the last time I went...

They also were hinting at the end of the world, or the return of Jesus Christ, very soon now... and you have to be born again to be saved... Just not my cup of tea...

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

That's the sort of thing I was talking about, Celia. I'm a born-again Christian, but I wouldn't last more than one service in a church like that (and maybe not that long).

• COMF
    COMF

Did you mean "borg again"?

• Satanus
    Satanus

The purpose of being born again is to unite w god (ok, ok, jesus then). 
    The result is that you don't need anyone to lead you anymore. 
    Whatever is needed for you to progress is provided by the 
    universe (ok, jesus/the higher powers/the spirit/god). 
    These arbitrary groups become redundent. 
    It's the same as the eastern enlightenment concept, the illuminati, etc. 
    SS

Edited by - saintsatan on 18 August 2002 18:29:7

• Celia
    Celia

Comf, you know, if I had not known about the JWs, I may not have noticed any of this, or it may not have bothered me so much !

Something else that I just could not swallow..... they were saying that the worse criminal, child abuser and molester, what have you, if, in prison discovered Jesus and took Him in his heart, or however they call it, accepted Him as their Savior, they would be saved, he was our brother and we should love him, etc....... I asked about an old Catholic lady who has never hurt anyone, always been nice to kids, helpful to neigbors, etc... they said, if she has not accepted Christ as her Savior, she is doomed.... Just doesn't make much sense to me !

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dakota

Some of the chapter names in that book sound interesting. Is it primarily comedy, or serious?

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit