Thanks for the BS

by safe4kids 28 Replies latest jw friends

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Well well....how wonderful it is to see people taking potshots at one another, to see a group of people who could be supporting and helping one another instead turn to infighting and slagging. I'm disgusted by it all, I really am. In the last year or so that I've been online, I thought that I had made some real friends, I thought that it was possible to really get to know people thru this modern miracle of technology. My trust was misplaced, in so many areas, I can't even begin to describe them all.

Do I sound bitter? I'm not; I passed bitter months ago. I'm out the other side of it and the best way to describe my feelings right now is to say that I'm more sorrowful and disappointed than anything else. Goodbye naivete, hello reality. Thanks for the lessons folks. I don't think I would've learned it without you all showing me the way.

I feel sorry for Simon and Angharad, who's only real crime has been in trying to provide a place for people with issues to come together and discuss them. How awful indeed that Simon is human...who woulda thunk it?

I understand better now why some folks have left...like Maximus, Seeker, Ginny and a few others that I admire.

Do I really think that many (or any, for that matter) care about my opinion? Nope, but I usually keep my mouth shut in the interest of keeping the peace and I'm just fed up with it. I've experienced first hand manipulation, blatant dishonesty, and other less pleasant aspects of human nature from acquaintances and even people I called "friends"...call me immature, call me whatever you will, I really don't give a shit.

Dana (letting off some major steam class)

• Satanus
    Satanus

This place isn't for everybody, that's for sure. I sometimes wonder if the long timers here might have a syndrom of some kind. If that's true, then i suppose it would include me.

SS

• Seven
    Seven

Hey Dana, How yuz doin' en 'aht? Let's have a SPAM and cheese bagel and coffee and talk about it.

Love, Seven

• Simon
    Simon

Hey Dana (and Seven) !

I agree it's disappointing but I think it is a minority of people that cause most of the problems. A few who are very vocal and stir things up and then a few others who they take advantage of and are easily led, perhaps because of things they have recently been through.

Not everyone is like that though and there are still a lot of people here who both offer and receive support. I have the advantage that I get to see some of the emails that people send thanking me for the forum and saying how much it has helped them (very humbling).

I intend to make sure it continues to do this and gets better as we go on. If anyone wants it to be a battle ground instead then they will find themselves somewhere else (I don't care where).

Regards
    - Si

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hey Dana,

I can certainly relate to what you are saying. I'm afraid that collectively, many people don't extend the same social courtesy online that they do in person. As a culture, we have more conditioning to be polite when we face people in person (that is common sense unless we happen to like getting our faces pounded in) but this is no excuse for not both tolerating other opinions and treating other people with more respect.

You have a good point in that we could choose to be more supporting to others, after all what goes around comes around, but it seems that sometimes all that goes out the window when we find ourselves involved in an online pissing match. Personally, I just try to stay out of it and let it roll on by. It's evolution you know, survival of the laid back. LOL!

Anyway, hopefully this will all blow over soon and we can make peace with everyone again.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

Edited by - mindchild on 18 August 2002 10:59:59

Edited by - mindchild on 18 August 2002 11:0:37

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

*Stepping out of safe4kids way so she can vent*

Yeah.... what she said!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Dana, I couldn't agree more about the childish nonsense displayed by some here recently. Fortunately, Simon has dealt with those that wish to only cause disruption.

Don't let the few spoil it for you. There are many kind and decent folk posting here. If you haven't been able to attend an apostafest, please do, if you get the chance. While at Princess's house a couple weekends ago, I met many wonderful people. Over 20 that post here on a regular basis.

I believe the majority here are also good people looking for support and offering theirs. But, they often go unnoticed due to the malcontents. Don't think no one cares about your opinion, either. I am one who cares about others opinions, even if I may disagree.

Don't let the minority get you down. Blow off as much steam as you need.

Lew W

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Hey sweet Dana,

The past two (or so) days that this has been going on, has drained me, and also triggered me. It reminded me of when my parents were fighting - one would be in the livingroom with the tv and the other would be in the rec room with the stereo. If one turned up the volume, the other would turn up the volume etc. etc. etc. until things were blaring in the house. Now, I had school in the morning and this often happened at night. Things would escalate until my parents were yelling at each other (over the volume of the tv and stereo) and then objects would start being thrown. I thought my head would surely bust.

I was so dismayed that Simon and Angahard had to arrive home to THIS - happening in their cyber home. I was disgusted that common sense was an abstract thing to some - they needed exact rules, which is censorship, which they didn't want. Circular arguments. I spent a couple times trying to reason with some. Check my thread 'Remember...'. It didn't get many responses but I hope it slapped a few people upside the head - figuratively speaking.

No one will ever make me leave this place. I'm in a bad space today because of the fighting (but I could've left - I just didn't want people to get hurt so I stuck around). Just like I did as a kid. I made sure mom wasn't killed. This place is home to me. It's done so much good and the majority of people here are fantastic spirits. Dana - please don't let anyone push you away. It gives them too much power and they are already experiencing delusions of adequacy.

Give my thread a look-see cos I bring up all the good stuff. Things have settled down now.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Dana)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) This place needs people like you.

Mimilly

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hear, hear!

I could have written all of this:

Well well....how wonderful it is to see people taking potshots at one another, to see a group of people who could be supporting and helping one another instead turn to infighting and slagging. I'm disgusted by it all, I really am.

I feel sorry for Simon and Angharad, who's only real crime has been in trying to provide a place for people with issues to come together and discuss them.

I usually keep my mouth shut in the interest of keeping the peace and I'm just fed up with it

call me immature, call me whatever you will

I'm happy to call you "spot on!", friend!

Kisses,

Brenda

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Simon, it's large of you to take that view, but I think the past few days has proven the WaterTower Backhoe and Tractor Society was right all along, people really are bad from their youth up. That's why it is doing no good to implore people to just grow up. Also, nice curves do not an intelligent or nice chica maka.

Seven, hiya girl. You have no idea how charming many of the men on this board are to me, till they make the disconnect that I am not you, and am in fact, a male, lol. I work it for bling-bling, sista. Nomesayin'?

Dana, how often I've wanted to gather you under my wings like a mutha... oops, sorry, my christ complex is flaring up again today.

I thought that it was possible to really get to know people thru this modern miracle of technology.

hmmm, maybe some people reveal themselves quickly and honestly, but I think more likely, more often, it takes a while, maybe even an episode like this past week. Hey, you know some people a bit more now, eh? I think for most people, you have to actually sit down and have a Spam and cheese bagel and coffee with them to actually get to know them.

I understand better now why some folks have left...like Maximus, Seeker, Ginny and a few others that I admire.

I'm pretty sure Ginny is now posting as Trauma Hound, lol. I do hope that as you peer through the flames of the latest war, you will admire me from a fire, as I do you. Pun intended, but nothing dirty came to mind till I reread that last bit, lol.

Six- full groan man

Edited by - SixofNine on 18 August 2002 11:22:43

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit