Why did you join JW's?

by happysunshine 16 Replies latest jw friends

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Why did you join JW's? I was raised a witness, so I had no choice till I could live on my own. But why would you actually choose such a thing! I'm still mad at my folks for that, and trying to get perspective. Comments please!

-Vexed in Victoria

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was forced into it by my parents.

• Amazing
    Amazing

This topic is food for another one of my multi-part series ... briefly, though, I was young, idealistic, looking for some answers, unhappy with the Catholic Church, and American society in general was going through hell ... so, the siren song of a seductive religious sect like the JWs hit me at the right time ... and I was sucked into their vortex of idiotic ideology, brain-dead following of leaders I didn't know, and somehow believing that I would be granted everlasting life ... but the joke was on me.

• LB
    LB

I have asked myself the same question. I was in my 40's. Maybe it's because of several factors. I was very fat, new to the area and didn't know anyone. My middle son had recently been arrested and sentenced to jail. I had some depression going and they all seemed so darn nice.

I ignored the red flags everytime they were waved too.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Cults seem to have a disproportionate number of incredibly hot chicks in their ranks. JWs are no exception.

I rest my case.

• teejay
    teejay

My Mama made me. Well, not "made" me, but she definitely pushed. Dadddy (non jw) tried to send subtle hints for years, but since he'd disgraced himself many times prior to that over the years and wasn't living with us (my folks got divorced when i was 5), I didn't listen. Didn't hear.

I will always wonder how I would have fared had I not heard about the truth(tm) until after I'd reached manhood. I'll never know, of course, but I wonder like hell what makes a thinking person drink it in and join up. I've found that usually self-esteem issues come into play.

• SYN
    SYN

It wasn't like I had a choice...I was 4!

• anewlife
    anewlife

Pretty much "raised" as one.

I have to agree those that become a part of it now...it's a self-esteem issue and 99.999% of the time those that join and get baptized are dysfunctional people who cannot live in this world on their own, without someone else telling them what is right and wrong and what to do and what not to do.

I once thought this theory of mine was going to be thrown out the window when a double board certified female doctor of Internal Medicine and Psychiatry became one of Jehovah's Witnesses about 6/7 years ago.....WRONG!!! After she became baptized and I got to know her....oh my gosh!...she was more dysfunctional than many of her own patients!!!!! On the other hand, it was nice to be proven right again with my theory!

Thank goodness for

anewlife

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Why did I join? Well, I really didn't have a choice. I was thirteen when my mom began her studies. My dad never took any part in raising his kids, other than beating us. He never took any interest in our lives. When I was young, I felt very insecure and unloved, so I clung to the only person who was there for me, and that was my mom.

When she began studying and gathered us together and said that she had found the "real truth", and that Armegeddon was coming any day, and we would be protected if we were part of this great crowd of Jehovah's Witnesses., I was baptised the following year because I didn't want to die at the world's end. Simple as that.

What did I know? As a good and obedient daughter, I just followed the lead of my mother. She would have never ever gotten involved with them, had my dad been there as a good husband and father. The JDubs gave her the one on one care and concern that she longed for. They made her a part of something. They provided her with a congregation of friends, people who cared enough to provide her with transportation and help her with her four children. She now had a purpose in life. Sacrificing and suffering for Jah became her quest. When she made this choice, dad drifted even further from us. At one point, he did try to force the issue with her, but by then it was too late. She would chose Jah over him, and he lost. So he through in the towel and let her have full reign over us. She enjoyed having this power and control over her children.

How I wish that my childhood had been different. But, we can't change the past. We can only try to fix our life when we grow up and become an adult. That is major hard work!

Thank goodness we are out and free from that bondage. My mother has been a borg since 1959 and never waivered.

Love and Light,

Karen

• bay64me
    bay64me

anewlife.......

sad to say, you're right. I was looking for structure, a place to belong, a superior authority, the ultimate say-so. I always wanted acceptance and a sense of 'belonging' mainly because of my very dysfunctional childhood.

They came along and I swallowed it...............at great cost!

They raped my vunerable mind and I am now suffering the consequences of that.

Hey ho, i'm dealing with it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit