Arrests in Child abduction case-Bodies found

by ISP 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'd like to extend my sympathies to everyone who has been affected by this horrible crime. Here in the US we have had a rash of child abductions this summer.

One very immportant piece of information that has come out during the press coverage of the abductions here is how very, very difficult it is - how nearly impossible it is - to get young children to behave in a safe way with strangers. In one study, a psychologist went to a park where children were playing. First, he approached the child's parents, identifying himself and asking if the parents believed that their kids knew better than to go off with a stranger. When the parents answered yes, the believed their kid was safe and smart, the psychologist asked their permission to test the kids. Permission granted, the large (six foot) male psychologist, his beard trimmed in the Van Dyke style, approached the kids. To the young kids he made offers of candy that he had in his car, to older kids he offerred a pair of roller skates, also in his car. EVERY child he approached went into his car and sat waiting for their reward.

When the children were interviewed afterward, they each said that they knew they shouldn't go with strangers, but that he looked like a "nice man." I saw this guy on TV - he didn't look like a "nice man" to me - certaily no "Mr. Rogers" type, and the TV reporter/interviewer agreed, laughing nervously when the psychologist said he was described as a "nice man."

Kids need to be taught that NO strange adult EVER nedds a child to help them, and that if a stranger says they need help, the best thing the child can do is have their parents call the police to help the nice man.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 18 August 2002 20:13:57

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit