ARE YOU UPSET THAT YOU DIDN"T GO TO COLLEGE?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I wish I would have went to college when everyone else did, but it's never too late. You can always reinvent yourself; so that is what I did.

ditto...now I want to go back again for a masters...just not sure yet...

• bluebell
    bluebell
    In the UK, 16 year olds may choose not to continue their education, and of course, it was considered ideal to leave education at this age. I did A'levels until I was 18, then found full time work.

That is the problem in the UK, they get all this "don't go into higher education" and miss the point that in the USA most are in school until 18 so going on to do your 'A' levels after 16 shouldnt be a problem because then you'd be leaving the same time as those in the USA.

Used to really annoy me, being told not to carry on to 6th form and do 'A' levels because that was higher education.

i doubt I'd have done much work at university - i never used to study much in school and didn't revise for any of my gcse's except for my french written to memorise the verbs the morning before the exam.

instead i worked full time at 16 and went to college (paid by employer), I got my degree equivalent at 25.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

While I was doing some market analysis research I came across this:

Young entrepreneurs of this generation [Generation Y; those now aged 5-25] are also “deep miners” for relevant information that will improve their businesses. Once they see the need, they will do research on the Web and network with others in their field to identify solutions. University is seen as a path for education, but not the end-all solution. On-demand education programs customized to their specific entrepreneurial needs will become more common.
    -- The Intuit Future of Small Business Report

Mind you, this isn't the same as education becoming obsolete. In other words - will the "catch-up," "stop-gap" educational solutions we are now grumbling about -- will they become the norm for our children and grandchildren?

gently feral

• Quandry
    Quandry

Even though my parents will never understand or be proud, I'm proud of me. My husband also started college last year.

Oh, yes, just like most on this forum. I actually went to college one year, got married, then studied/bacame a witness along with hubbie when I was twenty.

In the ensuing years I cleaned houses like a good Jdub wife. Never had money. Hubbie became elder and self employed so that he would never miss meetings. We had book studies in our home, always took talks, regular in service.

What we didn't have was vacations, or money. When my dryer went out, I had to hang clothes on the fence until I could come up with money to get mine fixed. Forever didn't have a garbage disposal, when the dishwasher went out, I used it to dry they dishes in.

My daughter always had second hand clothes and toys. I had second hand clothes.

But we always had money to put gas in our car to go to meetings or out in service. We even bought a van once because we had rural territory and wanted to take more people with us.

Finally, I started working at a school as a teacher's aide. There I saw when encouraging the children to get their education, I needed to take my own advice.

Now, with a full time job, and a child in college, I still have no money, and no vacations, due to years of making little and not having any savings. But I am plodding along.

It is misery to go to a class with teens and young adults when you are 55 years old. But I try to look past that and envision the time when I hold a collge diploma in my hand.

Any of you reading this, any of you that want to be proud of yourself, or are still feeling bad about not going to college--DO NOT DELAY! YOU CAN DO IT! DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU YOU CAN'T. IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit