ARE YOU UPSET THAT YOU DIDN"T GO TO COLLEGE?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

As I reflect back, I think my parents would have supported me if I had decided to college after I graduated in '72. Even though my father was the "king" elder at the time, I had mostly friends that were not JW's, and most of them went to college. Even though my parents didn't do any crazy things like quitting jobs to pioneer, the things I heard at the meetings etc, caused me to think "why should I go to all that work, the end is coming in '75" I didn't apply myself in high school either because of that attitude. That's what really makes me mad now. The negative attitude that is caused in me. I think it also caused the low self esteem and depression I have suffered with most of my life (until I read C of C and got rid of the guilt) I feel better now than I ever have, and even though low times come they don't last anymore.

• Liberty
    Liberty

You said it well Gary B. Children raised as JWs are simply never prepared for the harsh realities of life period! Not going to college is just one of many crippling handicaps a JW must struggle with in the real world. Thinking the World will end at any moment has a profound effect on a developing child's psychology. We old timers who grew up as JWs before the 80's got an extra dose of this as is evidenced by the younger folks here who were raised in the more cynical post '75 era. The dogma was backed off a little and JWs became a little more practical especially since the "1914 generation" policy was changed in '95. There is still damage being done however.

• minimus
    minimus

I wonder how many now are upset that they never could go further their education. I know of only 2 JWs that went to college and pioneered too.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    Although some may want to pursue financial advantages, prestige, or comforts of life, the family examine the Bible to see what it recommends.

I love how the Society always frames a topic in a negative light, as if the only reason people pursue a degree is out of greed.

I was pissed that I never went to college so I enrolled and am now pursuing my B.S. I now see some advantages in being an older student, for one I appreciate my education more. I study harder than I would have at age 18, and as a result I get better grades.

• Mary
    Mary
    ARE YOU UPSET THAT YOU DIDN'T GO TO COLLEGE?

Don't get me started.........

• minimus
    minimus

Mary, it's too bad....You could've been even smarter.

• mia_b
    mia_b

WOW August '02 this is an OLD topic! The problem is that the USA has school leaving age of 18 whereas in the UK its 16. And UK witnesses were unaware of this fact and encouraged to leave at 16... my dad did actually point this out (he has some good points even if he did molest me i suppose) however saying that - he wanted me to leave home at 15 and repeatedly said he hated the sight of me and wanted me to earn money to pay back my debt of being bought up. lol. so although i wanted "A-levels" there was no way he'd have supported me. so i worked full time, went to college, got a degree and am a chartered certified accountant. if i had gone to university i think i'd hav realised the falicy of the borg and left sooner - thats what they dont want. keeping people in line is easier if theyre relatively uneducated even if theyre bright. (sorry i use mozilla firefox so i cant put it in paragraphs)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I am yes, but no point spending the rest of my life moping about it. I have done night classes over the last few years to get a couple of A levels (college qualifications in the UK) and am now doing my BA degree and I am bursting with pride at myself - although to be fair I only started today - I have to study 16 hrs a week for the next 5 years until I get where I want to be. Thats cool - I know how to study but what I dont have good experience of is truly analysing material, questioning sources and evaluating data because I was denied that as a dub and trained to never check anything outside of WT material. I'm going to really enjoy learning how to think properly, question evidence and hopefully develop my own theories with something substantial to explain my beliefs and understanding. When I know myself perhaps I will be able to form proper relationships with people.

Synergy said something about this in her very long story post - that she didnt know herself and couldnt form proper friendships or relationships and that is really the case for me. Something is always missing - and I realise that its probably me!

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary, it's too bad....You could've been even smarter.

Awww.....you're sweet to say that as I certainly don't feel like I'm very smart........I'm getting my Bachelor's degree now....something I should have done 20 years ago. It'll be a few more years before I'm done as I can only do it on a part time basis as I work full time. I think when I finally get my diploma, I'll photocopy it and send a copy to Brooklyn Bethel with a note that says "....Despite everything you bastards did to try and prevent me from getting an education, I still managed to do it." Gary's comments are spot on and I've made similar comments on other sites. Instead of being encouraged to think of a career when I was young, or going to university, or even how to balance a cheque-book, I grew up with absolutely no coping skills for either adulthood or even for living. After all, Paradise was going to be here by the time I was 18----no point in teaching me anything about love, life, finances, charity, self-discipline, sex, or anything else in life. Everything I'm learning now are things I should have been taught decades ago.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

ARE YOU UPSET THAT YOU DIDNT GO TO COLLEGE?

Look at my avatar-Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit