ARE YOU UPSET THAT YOU DIDN"T GO TO COLLEGE?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'm upset that college was such a no no that it couldnt be considered or prepared for , long before high school ended. i ended up with a GED, why go to school when you cant associate with anyone or take part in any extra curricular activities?

• Gayle
    Gayle

You bet!!!,,the young mind (and free time) is a terrible thing to waste!! Going later is more difficult, tho sometimes possible, depending. I turned down possible scholarships, instead I pioneered 5 yrs and Bethel 5 yrs (housekeeper),,at Bethel you could see ones there that had gone to college were readily accepted, like nurses, doctor, dentist, eye doctor, degreed accountants, and later computer engineers and lawyers were in an inner elite group there. Even the Society paid for Mr. Brady in Bethel Canada to go to law school, now a "king or something" there. Later, I had five children and left the organization in mid 80's and pushed college all the time. Now, four of the five are degree'd and another one will be done in 2 yrs; and the WT organization never got them. I am a proud mother and grandmother!!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Yes big time !.........I wish my jw parents were more pressing on education with all the kids in our family !

When a child grows up in the informative years and gets plugged in constantly that this worldly system of things will be destroyed soon, this will certainly stumble

intellectual growth and advancement, stunting personal interests as well as passions.

Sadly now, I see my young nephews who are jws by virtue of my sister still being a practicing jw, have their education thwarted and muted, the damaging effects of the WTS. are still there !

Luckily for myself I saw through the BS that the WTS was presenting and left the borg. when I was in my early twenties and did obtain a collage degree...............phew !

Where would mankind be without advanced education..........not a pretty thought

It's somewhat ironic and hypocritical now that the GB of the WTS, are now using and seeking the benefits of advanced education, to benefit their health and welfare today wouldn't

you think ! .............Dickheads

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

YES. It wasn't an option. Raised in it, was the little kid knocking at the door by age 7, no cartoons, no days off - it was every weekend, every night, every month and every year. No holidays. No celebrations. No sports - nothing. I excelled in school, especially math. I would have loved to have gone on and gotten a degree in accounting but that would have been going against everything the watchtower had taught me. Every single summer vacation was spent pioneering from the time I was a little kid. Once I was old enough to drive, I got a part time job cleaning, went to school and spent every spare moment in service. I consoled myself with the thought that education didn't matter because I wouldn't see old age anyway. According to the Watchtower I didn't need an education - I believed them.

I believed them every week and every month and every year for 50 years - so that there are no pensions, there are no savings accounts, there were no vacations, there are no houses or luxury items. Extra money had to be donated to the society so it was. The kids wore cheap clothes and hand me downs so that donations didn't drop. Every car was used and old but that's okay, that's what we were supposed to do. If a job interferred with your responsibilies as a JW - and then as an Elder - then you must quit that one and find something else.

I think anger and bitterness are natural feelings to have when you wake up and realize that as a direct result of what your leadership has said - you are now struggling to stay alive. While it may feel good to begin learning what you could not before, the reality quite simply, is that the older you get, the more limited the market for your skills and thus the loss of savings for any sort of retirement. Personal growth is fine, but had many of us not had our lives twisted by order of the watchtower, we may have in fact been in far better financial, emotional and mental positions. One might argue otherwise, but we didn't even have a chance to win or lose, to try or fail - because of what we were taught to think and do by the watchtower. An even sadder aspect of the watchtower teachings, is that many of us raised our own kids to follow the society in the same way that we did because we didn't know any better. Now, many of those home schooled kids who also turned away from education in order to serve the society, will end up just like we are. Education is just one thing the watchtower stripped from our lives. Anger? You bet! I can't get back the money I lost. To make it worse, I can't get back the time - my childhood, my youth, my energy or my health. I can't get back the future that I might have had.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I'm upset that I didn't finish 'High School'! But then, as my mother said, "You should quit and get some jobs ready for the college guys when they get out"! So, I did!

Outaservice

• mama1119
    mama1119

I really wish I had gone to college straight out of high school. I will be going back this year, but it is going to be complicated now with two kids, a house to run, a husband to boss etc. I should have gone when life was easier to manage.

My parents did not encourage or prepare for college for my brother or myself, although my brother did get to go to college and has a great job now. They are encouraging now that we are out though. I did not have that much motivation to go howevr, because a few years after high school I started working as a makeup artist, which is what I really wanted to do, and it did not require college, so I settled into it. So I can;t blame not going entirely on JW and Ma and Pa.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

I do regret it. Not for the financial impact because I've done very well. I have a responsible position, some recognition in my industry, and I actually manage people that have degrees or advanced degrees. I just regret missing the opportunity to learn more, missing the experience, not having the memories that others do. What makes it doubly galling is that the Organization's motive seems to be pure mean spiritedness. If they'd approached the issue correctly they could have managed it without any negative impact on the Organization but a positive impact, they just didn't want to.

• JH
    JH

I went to college before becoming a JW.

What I regret was taking the wrong course, because at 17, you have no clue who you are and what you want to do.

• flipper
    flipper

Minimus, I too have alot of resentment towards the org. for not encouraging college in the 70's when I graduated high school. Was raised in the "false" from birth so Dad being an elder since the 1950's didn't push college. Pushed me to pioneer after high school. Had a 3.5 gpa so I could have accomplished something, as opposed to being a Janitorial psychologist, as I've been for 25 years now. But my revenge is I have helped my 22 year old son, also a nonjw to get through college financially and he works for me. So I feel a little justice has happened. Peace, Mr. Flipper

• love11
    love11

I wish I would have went to college when everyone else did, but it's never too late. You can always reinvent yourself; so that is what I did. At first I was so scared that I wouldn't even make it. I started out with only one class, but after one A, then another A, and another A. I decided to jump in and go full time. Since I began college, I have only ever gotten an A in my classes. When I was a JW in high school, they put me in the slow learner classes. I couldn't tell the school counselor that the reason I was failing was because I didn't have time to study. The real reason I didn't do good in my school work is because of all the studying I had to do for the kingdom hall. My parents said that was more important than school work. So in k-12 school I only got C-D.

I've recently been asked to represent the country overseas because of my good grades. I am in an honor society and have been on the National Dean's list for several years in a row. It just goes to show you that when you are allowed the freedom to spread your wings, amazing things happen.

No one has the right to take away your dreams!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit