Jehovah's Undeserved Kindness

by Amazing 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

The Watchtower Society, in its prime teaching publication The Watchtower magazine, loves to discuss Jehovah's "undeserved kindness." Comparing their Bible, the New World Translation , with the King James Version, we see an interesting difference at Romans 11:6:

NWT: "Now if it is by undeserved kindness, it is no longer due to works; otherwise, the undeserved kindness no longer proves to be undeserved kindness."

KJV: "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

First, the NWT reads rather awkwardly by its use of 'undeserved kindness,' but there is also another more important and interesting aspect to this.

If someone invites you into their home, and while you are there they offer and serve you food, beverage, and maybe lodging, you could say that this is 'undeserved kindness' as you did not earn it, for it was a kind gift. Yet ... the Host does not continuously rub into your face the fact that you received 'undeserved kindness,' thus reminding you of being unworthy ...

... rather, the Host wants you to enjoy their hospitality, and feel happy and comfortable. So that when you eventually take your leave, you say that they are a gracious Host, one who extends a gracious atmosphere, filled with grace ... you are appreciative of what they did for you.

The Watchtower religion loves to remind people of how unworthy they are before God, adding to the JW membership never feeling good enough ... to illustrate, The Watchtower magazine has used the term 'undeserved kindness' 1596 times between 1950 and 1999, whereas its use of 'Grace' during that same period in the same magazine is only 257 times ... clearly the emphasis is on unworthiness rather than uplifting.

... whereas, the Christian faith places emphasis on God's graciousness, so that we come away from God feeling uplifted, and not berated. The issue is not our unworthiness, but God's graciousness.

This is a subtle, but significant difference that sets the Christian faith apart from the high control guilt groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edited by - Amazing on 14 August 2002 17:33:10

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Great post, Amazing.

The "undeserved kindness" that the Society extends to victims of JW pedophiles and those who stand up for them is certainly UNDESERVED :(

Jrig

• Francois
    Francois

The phrase "undeserved kindness" is another example of how the JWs screw around with not only the bible, but with people's self image.

One of the primary characteristics of a cult is that it keeps its membership as psychologically and emotionally unstable as possible. One of the primary techniques used to do this is the continual transmission of conflicting messages to each member. With the use of this phrase we see the JWs at their diabolical worst.

JWs are taught that Jehovah is a kind, gentle, loving father on the one hand; but on the other that this same kind, gentle, loving father is moved only far enough to show us, his children "undeserved" kindness.

Now, what kind of father would be kind to his children while at the same time considering it only "undeserved"?

Additionally, this is another way, another way that is utterly devoid of meaning, to "separate" the JWs from other organizations in Christendom by avoiding the use of the word "grace." More JW disengenuous word play.

It occurs to me that this planet is screwed up for reasons that are utterly not our fault, for things that happened thousands of years ago that had nothing to do with me. Now, I don't buy the idea of original sin in the first place (unless you're talking about MY original sin), and I certainly don't buy the atonement doctrine. Yes, I was born on this planet, screwed up as it is - and through no fault of mine. I don't know about you, but I personallly think that I deserve every bit of kindness that the God who put me here can come up with. Not only do I deserve it, I want it. And I want it now. And I want it on the day I die. And I DON'T want some JW telling me that God is less capable of showing kindness to his erring, but ignorant, children than I AM of showing the same thing to MY erring but ignorant children.

I know I'm repeating myself, but my patience is at an end, especially today. This cult of Jehovah's Witnesses, this open, running sore on the body of humanity that's spreading its monkey pus all over the place has got to go. By any means possible. NO. I take that back. It's got to go by EVERY means possible.

I say they're a cult, and I say *******. Let's all be there in September.

Frank Tyrrell
    - francois

YAY US -*******
    (That's southern, btw) C'mon Francois, you know that the f word is a no-no.

Edited by - Englishman on 14 August 2002 18:51:10

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Amazing,

All I really have to say after reading your post, ("Jim" is it?), is that you make a perfect candidate to become a member of one of Christendom's churches. Go to "the church of your choice" for a good ear-tickling. They'll make you feel REAL good, Jim. Go for it, like a hog does slop! Get ALL YOU WANT OF IT.

BTW, I noticed that on Ray Franz's (your hero) site that he actually admits to no longer having a firm conviction that it is God's purpose to restore the earth to a paradise. What a fall, this aged man has taken! The man has truly went down hill since abandoning the WTS, no doubt about it.

Friday

Edited to show that this was addressed to Amazing, to prevent any misunderstanding.

Edited by - Yadirf on 14 August 2002 17:16:54

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Yadirf:

Wow, you need to chill bro! Hey, instead of blowing smoke all over the place, I would like to hear your thoughts on the points Amazing makes.

PS: Ray Franz has his own site? Please post the link..............Unlike most JWs, he can change his viewpoint any time he pleases without some old fart's approval in Brooklyn.

Edited by - thichi on 14 August 2002 17:23:4

• Francois
    Francois

Friday:

"The man has truly went down hill since abandoning the WTS, no doubt about it."

"...WENT down hill..."? Has went downhill?

I suppose next you'll be telling us all about how reading the Awake! for a year is as good as an undergraduate degree?

Has WENT downhill, huh?

You illiterate sumbitch.

Yeah boy, you go back over to the Kingdumb Hall. You need all the help you can get. Soon. But I dont' think you need to be telling anyone else where THEY should go.

Has WENT downhill? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-francois

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Ray Franz has a website? What's the addy?

Expatbrit

• metatron
    metatron

Why shouldn't Ray have doubts? There isn't a single scripture
    even in the New World translation that says that the earth
    will exist forever - only 'time indefinite'.

And as for 'ear-tickling', why not take a group of emotionally
    damaged losers and tell them God is going to kill everyone else?

Why talk about grace to a Witness? It may be a concept
    so foreign to them - and their behavior- that you may confuse them!

metatron

• Amazing
    Amazing

Friday: Yes, my name is Jim. You imply that my post is ear-tickling. This is a typical JW phrase, ear-tickling --- always assuming that any act of kindness and caring is somehow the milk-toast of Christendom ... meant to hide the true vindictive nature of your false god.

Yet ... it is far better to receive the love and grace of the true God and father of Jesus Christ, even in the face of ridiculers like yourself, than the heavy-hand of the ego-maniac invented by the Watchtower and falsely labeled Jehovah.

You need to lighten-up, take a deep breath, and take another long look at who you worship, for he certainly does not resemble the God who sent his only begotten son to die for the world he so loved.

• ISP
    ISP
    Go to "the church of your choice" for a good ear-tickling. They'll make you feel REAL good, Jim. Go for it, like a hog does slop! Get ALL YOU WANT OF IT

I guess that what you did, Friday. Being part of the WTS ...makes you 'feel REALgood'? The Paedophile paradise certainly appeals to some.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit