CNN show viewed as Persecution by JW

by JT 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Don't underestimate the cumulative effect that the media will have on the average JW. When respected news journalists speak badly about the Witnesses, this DOES chip away at the faithful. True, the Society is banging away at the media and this will scare some off but damage is already being done.

• Jourles
    Jourles

So what is the typical witness excuse when they see Venus and Serena Williams win win win, when Satan should be persecuting them also? As far as celebrity status goes, they are probably at the highest on the scale right now. From reading a few of their interviews in the past, they do not seem ashamed to be called witnesses.

In a well trained witness mind, they may reason that Satan will eventually get to them and make them turn away. Either fame, money, etc. will make it happen, just a matter of WHEN.

Wait a minute......Venus already cracked under Satan's grip. Didn't she drape a flag around herself after winning in the Olympics? Still haven't quite figured that one out. I thought she would have been auto-da'd for that. She must put out..........large contributions to the worldwide work that is.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

JT,

I think you hit it on the nail about a situation about the 13 year old JW and consequently, that 13yr old's JW parents will yank him/her out of school and place him/her in home-school with other JW kids. Their excuse will probably be "Not taking part of this world and not associating with it."

On the subject of double-speak hypocrisy, Isn't saying "Not being part of this world" one thing while they are roaming around pestering non-JWs about joining another thing?

Ashi,

You are so right on about reasoning with unreasonable people: All they care is their views without caring about others' views. If someone shows them the fact, they will say "It's a bunch of lies", "There must be a good reason for it".

Expatbrit,

You're right: Isn't it amazing how when they are criticized, they say it's Satan's persecution and when other religions are criticized, they say it's Jehovah's justice at work? I'd love to ask them since it's the same media that criticizes both JWs and other religions, is Jehovah and Satan the same???

minimus,

Definitely all the bad publicity from the media will curtail the new recruitment as the new recruits are worldlies and non-JWs will unlimited access to information. However, I think it will be slow in causing decline among the "still-in" JWs as their access to information is very limited and restricted, like the Totalitarian Dictatorships. Plus, the ll-in" JWs are living with FEAR. I think that majority of the newly baptized will come from the children of active JWs rather than new recruits. However, to the WTS, they care less if it's the children of active JWs or new recruits that baptize, it's just a number to promote their statistics.

Jourles,

when it comes to $$$$$, all organizations, religious or not, will turn the other face. That is another hypocrisy from their part. Since the Williams sisters are great cash cows, I bet the WTS will allow them lotsa privileges.

regards,

Ajax

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

The reason celebs who are JWs are publicised is because JWs are a wacky cult. Just like the celebs who are L Ron Hubbards, ooops, Scientologists. We all know who they are too since the Sci guys are so very wacko too.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

NameWithheld,

Scientologists are surely wackos. They live in a SciFi world. Wait a minute!!! Their cult is based on a SciFi novel. LOL!

They may not look like it, but I bet John Travolta and Tom Cruise are wackos.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Well, I see what I get for not coming on here often enough. I don't have a clue what the CNN show is. I've enjoyed everyone's comments and cannot agree more. But could someone tell me what it is.

• bboyneko
  • bboyneko
    bboyneko

hey wait a minute..did they spell bill's name wrong?

• Xander
    Xander
    > " I used to say in talks all the time that it is ONLY JW WHO are mentioned in the news, and how Satan is trying to make Jah look bad for example Michael Jackson, almost in every article on MJ they mentioned his faith and I would often ask from the platform " <

Now I realize the religion of a celebrity that is or becomes a Witness is mentioned by the media because Witnesses are looked at as a nutty cult.

Well, I think it's that, plus, when other celebrities religions were mentioned, we just never payed attention. Cause they weren't JWs - so not worth caring about.

BUT....if celebrities were JWs....then THAT is publicity (either good or bad), so we payed attention to who is a JW and who isn't and how they reflect that.

Seriousl - if M.J. had been a Mormon, do you think the media would have mentioned that any less? But the majority of JWs would not know what religion he was - because they wouldn't care then.

IOW, those listening to your talk who only know the religion of the celebrities that are JWs is circular logic - they only know the religion of celebs who are JWs because they only CARE about the religion of celebs who are JWs.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Seriousl - if M.J. had been a Mormon, do you think the media would have mentioned that any less? But the majority of JWs would not know what religion he was - because they wouldn't care then.

Maybe the media would have mentioned that, but that would be an interesting scenario as the Mormons' beliefs essentially are kinda racist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit