HOW LONG WHILE YOU WERE A JW DID IT TAKE TO LEAVE?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I was raised a JW, and baptized at 15 yrs old. I married at 19 and spent 4 years getting steadily more miserable, by which time I did not care whether it was the truth or not, I just could not carry on. So there was never a plan, just one night I knew the time had come to escape. It took about an hour to pack, and I never went back, and never saw a JC. They disfellowshipped me in my absence because I did not want to see the elders (petrified I would be persuaded to come back).

So, about 1 hour is how long it took me.

However, mind and heart did not really escape until I researched on the internet and found out the history of failed prophecies, Jerusalem not destryed in 607BC, and so on. Thank you H2O!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

About a year of doubts, prayers and cognitive dissonance, and another six months when I was certain they were wrong. The change in the generation doctrine was what did it for me. I'd realised if it wasn't the truth, that they'd have to change it. I'm so glad they did.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Another six/six here. Six months of doubts and roughly six months for things to go downhill enough where I had to make a choice between leaving my life and family behind for the real world. I was raised in the cult and have been out and free now going on 22 years. And yes, it was worth it.

Skip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit