Rasputin and Serums and Herbs--Oh My!

by rebel8 36 Replies latest watchtower medical

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have written a blog post about the dubs and their scorn of modern medicine and Rasputin, while simultaneously touting unproven, dangerous cures.

I wonder what it is about a fake remedy that makes jws believe in it or scorn it?

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Ironically, the jws only believed in certain alternative healing and completely scored others. 

Not to be too picky scored should be scorned.

A lot of witnesses I knew here in Canada were sure into some weird alternative medicine, Medicine cabinets full of the weirdest natural vitamins and sometimes cupboard shelf after shelf full of vitamin bottles and they were always sick or getting over something. 

Remember the alternative medicine guy on the show Seinfeld whose concoction turned George Costanza Blue and he had to be rushed to the hospital LOL, that reminds me of the witnesses and some of their alternative cures.

• millie210
    millie210

What a fantastic idea for a thread!

I am a big believer in old time remedies and herbal concoctions. It just takes a lot of time and study to get it right and then there is no money in it. Thus no motivation for anyone to explore in a big way.

When you think of the many eons humans have existed on this planet and only in the last 50 years or so have we had drugs readily available.

Before that we made do with potions and remedies and look what we find! People havent improved their lifespan or quality of life anymore now than in the course of human history.

(I am not including antibiotics in that they are an exception, albeit an exception that is also biting us back.)

Remedies exist for most of the ailments that exist as most of them have always plagued people.

There are natural remedies for arthritis,heart ailments, high cholesterol, colds, flu, toothache,  - you name it.

I am studying natural pharmacology and it is very slow going but the results are fantastic. I have treated everything mentioned above in myself and family members with absolutely great outcomes and minus the side effects and big dollar hit that medication costs.

There is of course, the element of spirituality and superstition that enters in to this branch of learning. I think that is why the Society threw the baby out with the bath water so to speak and condemned so much of it.

Funny, because C.O..s and their wives were some of my best clients when I was active in the truth. They LOVE potions and remedies.

Its like so many other things with the JWs, there is the spoken stance on things and then there is the "other".

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” 

― Hippocrates 

• rebel8
    rebel8

People havent improved their lifespan or quality of life anymore now than in the course of human history.

Figure 4. Female Life Expectancy in Developed Countries: 1840-2009

• rebel8
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

People havent improved their lifespan or quality of life anymore now than in the course of human history.

I think a lot of the natural cures are good when dealing with relatively healthy people, for example insulin therapy for type 1 diabetes has extended the lives of millions world wide who would otherwise died as children. And there is no alternative therapy for insulin in type 1 diabetics,

• rebel8
    rebel8

millie210, I don't know what your motive is so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are being sincere and not trying to be disrespectful.  But please consider that I have just shared with you a tale of decades of severe child abuse and neglect and its consequences, giving examples of why non-evidence-based medicine is dangerous, and concluding with the admonition about scientific literacy. And you have replied in support of the very abuse and neglect that I experienced.

• millie210
    millie210

Ok well I misunderstood.

I thought you were stating that the Witnesses mock so many beneficial but simple things. Like they did vaccinations and even something as simple as RH incompatibility, an easy fix that millions of JW women were told not to take. 

I thought you were saying that its nice to be free of Witness dogma and the way they try to tell people what to take and not take.

The point about Diabetes is well taken. Your charts are well taken. No one can argue that modern medicine has saved lives.

I mistakenly thought that this was a thread about contrast/compare.

There are two sides to the statistics you presented but I understand this isnt the place nor the time,

You asked me to please consider you had just shared a tale with me of abulse and neglect.

Is that on your blog link?

Then I beg of YOU to consider that I had not clicked on your blog link when I posted. I was going to save that to savor as I love discovering new blogs to get to know others here.  

I would remove my post it if I could but I cant.

So good God - shoot me maybe?

Or better yet lets just forget I even attempted to converse at all.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

the wt org doesn't specifically recommend any one treatment that I was ever aware of , But,  I do know they avoid writing about medical issues to begin with and seem to support modern traditional medicine, especially cancer treatments, they do not  wish to have the research for any medical subjects gathered to make any useful recommendations. its all awake articles with like two pages and ten paragraphs.

I being, favorable to natural cures, but will not turn my back on modern science. its research that we need to do when choosing any sort of healthcare.

we do more research when buying a car than for   our own health! that's saying a lot.

I have always found it funny how, Christians as a whole ignore the bible scripture where God says, I give all plants to you.... including those naturally healing, and marijuana. all plants have good and bad uses. its men who complicate things by trying to control people. but at the end it should be our choice. as long as its an informed one. just like religion.      informed, and a choice.

in the bible gluttony is mentioned before over drinking, yet not a thing was ever said about overeating, yet drinking is [rightfully] questioned.    so,  morbidly obese going to buffet restaurants and eating  thousands of calories is better for us than drinking wine?  [which is good for the stomach [and has  resveratrol]  and the soul, lol!] 

I always wondered why there wasn't a study article focusing on over eating, like they did for cigaretts and alchohol.   its like taboo to say, 'hey stop eating like pigs value your life to God'.  they wont touch it with a ten foot pole, and hmm aren't the GB rather plump in their old age?? all that good  organic farmed food..   [and lol , they dont live any longer than the next person].

as for life expectancy, well it helps when people stop killing each other and starving people and killing them with farm pesticides...

• cofty
    cofty
    Before that we made do with potions and remedies and look what we find! People havent improved their lifespan or quality of life anymore now than in the course of human history.

This could not be more wrong. I don't know where to begin.

There is only two sorts of medicine. Stuff that works - mostly the stuff that is prescribed by qualified doctors  - and all the rest. "Alternative" medicine is a huge multi-million dollar business. It is a cause of shame that the NHS still funds a homeopathic hospital!

Modern science-based medicine is keeping thousands of people alive who would otherwise be dead and improving the quality of live more millions more. For thousands of years people died of things that now would hardly qualify for a day off work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit