smoking-"if one ERRS"

by somebody 21 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

I smoke, but what gets my goat is when smokers toss their butts on the ground. Taking carcinogens into your lungs is a personal choice IMO; you will pay a higher rate for health insurance, and rightly so, and you risk disease and early death, for no good reason (yes, I, a smoker, admit all this). But throwing TRASH on the ground is stupid, selfish, and lazy. One of these days I am sure that when at a red light, when I see someone in another car toss a butt out the window, I will put mine in "park," get out, pick up the butt and go toss it back into the offender's vehicle, saying, "here, you dropped this." It pisses me off to no end.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    have tried to quit smoking so many times and beat myself up about it for years.

Me too.

Eventually I gave up just for me, then I found it a surprisingly easy thing to do.

Englishman.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

@Englishman

Maybe thats what I have been doing wrong.

I always had someone elses interests in mind. LOL

• Imbue
    Imbue

Some may need to care for someone dying from emphysema or lung cancer to understand the effects of smoking. Volunteer to assist someone with these diseases with their activities of daily living. In just one day and you will see why you need to quit smoking. It's an agonizing way to die and I wouldn't want to watch anyone die that way again! My quitting smoking was the one good experience I've taken away from the org. I hope I never pick up that nasty habit again. I'm not ashamed to say I did quit to serve God. Maybe some of you raised in the troofs rebelled against the org and your parents by smoking. However, you are only hurting yourselves with each toke. Please consider smokers anonymous if you find it difficult to quit on your own. Yes, there is a 12 step program for tobacco addicts.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I smoked for awhile. Then I realized that every relative that smoked in my family was dead from lung cancer by the time they hit their fifties....I decided that I wanted to live much longer than that. Maybe once a month I'll have a cig - but I only buy pure 100% tobacco and hand roll it. At least I'm not getting the chemicals.

• blueroom
    blueroom

I know someone who was expelled for smoking. That same committee privately reproved some girl for having an abortion. The religion is just fucked.

• Jeremy30
    Jeremy30

The more someone tries to make me feel guilty for smoking cigarettes, the more I want to light up.

PS You might die of lung cancer, you also might get hit by a bus crossing the street, such is life.

• onacruse
    onacruse

As far as the Biblical standard: pharmakeia, pharmakeus, and pharmakos are all rendered in the NWT as " spiritistic practice, practicing spiritism." (Gal 5:20; Rev 9:21; 18:23; 21:8; 22:15) Various lexicons define it as "sorcery, magic, enchantment." The use of drugs to achieve and enhance a supernatural experience is being talked about here, similar to the Oracle of Delphi. The Bible is absolutely not here talking about the recreational use of drugs, and the NWT rendering shows that WTS knows this. The WTS grasped onto this word in a faulty and self-serving attempt to intrude yet again into the private business of JWs.

Comparison to other drugs: Nicotine is an alkaloidal compound in the same chemical family as caffeine. Both are poisons, both have deleterious physiological effects, and both can be addictive. Toxicity is lower for caffeine (60 drops of pure nicotine on the toungue will cause death by cardiac arrest in 10 seconds, it only takes 1 drop of nicotine to do the same). However, a "typical" cigarette delivers approx 4-6 mg of nicotine, whereas a cup of regular coffee contains 150-350 mg of caffeine. Essentially, one cup of coffee is equivalent to one cigarette in terms of physiological stress.

Health considerations: There is an increasingly large body of evidence indicating that genetics is the predominate mortality factor. A large number of people who have lived the "healthiest" lifestyles die from the same diseases as those who drink, smoke, and eat red meat.

Yes, I do smoke, but at a statistically insignificant level. I never smoke in the house, car, or restaurant. I always throw my butts in the trash. My last x-rays were clean and clear. I have quit, at times, for up to several years at a stretch.

Dang, this has got me all stressed. I'm gonna have a smoke.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

plmkrzy

Hmmm.... benefited from studies resulting from abusive behaviour - I'll have to think about that deeply. Doesn't quite sound right somewhere along the line :o)

I agree about red meat by the way .... I never touch it myself.

• proplog2
    proplog2

I have never smoked but I think disfellowshipping people for smoking is wrong. The Watchtower got by until '72 or '73 on a fairly good policy of No Smoking for Elders, Pioneers and other officials.

But with 1975 looming they developed this concept that they had to "clean up" the organization so they could march in white robes through the Great Tribulation. This was pure Franzian delusional thinking. You have to read the old articles to get the feel of it. Lots of apocalyptic language about "forward as a cleansed people into the New World". Well it's been almost 30 years and the current policy has been used to kick out thousands of teen-aged kids who experimented with smoking.

The Bible clearly states that NOTHING that you take into the body defiles it. It's what comes out of the mouth. So you can inhale but you can't exhale.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit