smoking-"if one ERRS"

by somebody 21 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

zev, posting as "somebody"

*** w96 1/15 18-19 Jehovah's Sheep Need Tender Care ***
    If a New One Errs

13 Elders imitate the Great Shepherd, Jehovah, who says: I myself shall feed my sheep, . . . the broken one I shall bandage and the ailing one I shall strengthen. (Ezekiel 34:15, 16; Ephesians 5:1) In line with that spirit, the disciple Jude urged that mercy be shown to anointed Christians who had doubts or had fallen into sin. (Jude 22, 23) Since we rightly expect much more of experienced Christians, surely mercy should be shown to a newly baptized persona mere lambwho errs but is repentant. (Luke 12:48; 15:1-7) Elders, who judge for Jehovah, therefore give such sheep tender care and readjust them in a spirit of mildness.2 Chronicles 19:6; Acts 20:28, 29; Galatians 6:1.

14 Suppose, then, that a recently baptized publisher formerly had a drinking problem and lapsed into overindulgence on one or two occasions. Or perhaps he overcame a long-standing tobacco habit but yielded to the temptation to smoke privately a time or two. Even though our new brother has prayed for Gods forgiveness, he should seek the help of an elder so that the sin does not become habitual. (Psalm 32:1-5; James 5:14, 15) When he mentions his error to one of the elders, that elder should try to readjust the new one in a merciful way. (Psalm 130:3) Scriptural counsel may suffice to help him to make straight paths for his feet thereafter. (Hebrews 12:12, 13) This elder would discuss the circumstances with the presiding overseer of the congregation to determine what further assistance should be given.

15 In some cases more may be needed. If notoriety, danger to the flock, or other serious problems are involved, the body of elders would assign two elders to investigate the matter. If these elders find that the matter is sufficiently serious that a judicial committee is needed, they should report this to the body of elders. The body of elders would then appoint a judicial committee to assist the erring one. The judicial committee should deal with him in a tender way. They should strive to readjust him with the Scriptures. If he responds to the kindly efforts of the judicial committee, then they could determine whether there would be any benefit in his not being used for parts on the platform at meetings in the Kingdom Hall or if he should be allowed to comment at meetings.

16 If the erring one responds, an elder or two on the judicial committee could arrange to make shepherding calls intended to bolster his faith and build his appreciation for Gods righteous standards. Each of them might work with him in the field ministry from time to time. They may have a few Scriptural discussions with him, possibly using appropriate Watchtower and Awake! articles but not establishing a regular Bible study. With such tender care, the erring one may be strengthened to resist weaknesses of the flesh in the days ahead.

17 Of course, having been baptized recently is no excuse for unrepentantly practicing sin. (Hebrews 10:26, 27; Jude 4) If any baptized wrongdoer does not repent and abandon his sinful course, he would be expelled from the congregation. (1 Corinthians 5:6, 11-13; 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 12; 2 John 9-11) When this action seems necessary, the body of elders will choose a judicial committee. If expulsion occurs, this brief announcement would be made: . . . has been disfellowshipped.

letting the watchtower hang themselves with their own words....

zev

Edited by - SOMEBODY on 11 August 2002 17:54:15

• zev
    zev

questions questions
    where does it say in the bible its a "sin"?
    (ok, granted, its not healthy, i'm not talking healthy here,i'm talking watchtower 
    right/wrong b.s.) 
    why are df'ed smokers treated antichrist's 
    (they use the same scripture weather you get df'ed for smoking or df'ed for apostasy)?

*** Rbi8 2 John 10&11 ***

10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him.

11 For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.

y'all knows what happens when you go to an "elder" for so called "help", right? 

Edited by - zev on 11 August 2002 17:44:58

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

Well first of all Smoking is not an EVIL sin,as WATCHTOWER likes to say it is.

Smoking is an addiction, people need help with these things. They do NOT

NEED EXPELLED from congeration. It wasn't until 1972 that they started

this NONSENCE, but i guess the light just wasn't BRIGHT enough.

Anyway i liked your post & yes i do smoke always have .

thanks Searchin50

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I've never agreed with the ban on smoking, even as a non-smoker dub. Back then I was never shown why a ban was scriptural but went along with it because it was "said so". I always thought though that the reasons were pretty weak considering that shortly we'd all be getting perfect bodies rid of the effects of smoking. Once perfect and disease was out of the picture, smoking would either cease to exist or would be perfectly acceptable since we would never get sick. Jehovah had to have known humans would use his creation the tobacco plant for smoking, so why not once we're perfect and live forever?

Now that I'm out, and a smoker, I still think the Empire's ban is b.s. I don't know the whole story, but I do know that smoking was once allowed in the dubs. Knowing them like I do I have to think that the ban was more of a personal opinion made into law than it was a scriptural one.

Maybe someone knows the whole history of the smoking ban and could share it?

Mike.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Yes, smokers need help and a kick up the ass.

Personally I won't let anybody smoke in my house. Regardless. They have to go into the garden.

Maybe the Watchtower guys view it in the same way as I do .... to keep their house clean. Also, if you believe in God, surely it shows a lack of respect to damage life given ?

Just a thought. One that I will no doubt be punished for ;o)

ps. It is estimated that 1/3 of all litter in the UK is generated by smokers .... certainly looks that way when you walk through the city I live in.

pps. yes, I used to smoke, many moons ago :o)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I smoke. If it was good enough for Christ then whats the problem.

As long as I don't blow it in someones face who cares.

I don't smoke in other peoples houses

I dont even smoke in bars!. I'll go out side if I really need a cigg.

Just try to kick my ass.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 11 August 2002 18:13:57

• somebody
    somebody

I DO think smoking is bad for ones health. Like I think other addictions are. But to abuse 2 John11 and to APPLY it to ANYONE who has NEVER been a DECIEVER nor an ANTICHRST ,and is nothing more than a cigarette smoker or an adulterer or just a sinner in general because we ALL inherited sin from Adam and Eve is sad, to say the least.

To abuse God's word, the Bible,as a means of making excuses for juging other fellow sinners is disgusting to me. The WBTS is the disgusting thing standing in a Holy Place. I think for being as disgusting as they are, they chose the best place, Biblically, to place their printing factory. Bethel has it's biblical story alone.

peace,

somebody

• Englishman
    Englishman

God knows, I hate the smoking habit too, if smokers knew what they smelled like they would be appalled. A couple of years back, my sons girl -friend actually accused me of recoiling from her when she spoke, go on, she said admit it, you hate the way I smell!

Er, well yes, I said, you do pong a bit, now that you bring it up!

But, that apart, smoking is a personal thing and has nothing to do with anyone else or any religion come to that, it's a private matter, only a householder can protest about smoking in one's own home, once you're outside that it has to be accepted.

Unfortunately!

Englishman.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Well Englishman .... take your *accepted* argument to the doctors at the main hospitals throughout Birmingham, you may have a heated argument on your hands. Knowing the comments that have been made to my partner who walks in these circles.

I think some issues in society are pretty clear. Smoking should not be tolerated in reality as it is clearly a wrong. All that cash spent researching the ill effects of smoking, what a waste. All the cash spent in the health service supporting the selfish, while people with real need are pushed down the waiting lists.

But wait - all that lovely VAT that smoking generates for the governments around the globe. Wait, could there be a reason why it isn't outlawed?

Fascist that I am - I'd ban it and shoot the manufacturers :o)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    All the cash spent in the health service supporting the selfish

It wasn't to support all of us selfish bastards.

Lots of people have benifited from those studies that have never smoked or never LIVED with a smoker or even ate red meat.

That should be a selfish sin too eating red meat because research has shown that it also causes cancer.

So all you selfish basterds out there eating red meat STOP!

Englishman,

I can appreciate your comments about the fact that smoking is a nasty habit. It is. And I can also appreciate the coment about the smell. It does smell bad.

I can also say there hasn't been one single solitary person(NON-SMOKER) come into my home and NOT be completely supprised to find out I smoke.

I was friends with one particular woman who didn't find out that I was a smoker for more then 3 months. She was taken by supprise when I had to tell her I need to step out for a cigg. "I had no idea you smoked!" was her response. She never smoked and niether does her husband.

SO My point is a lot of that is just good or bad hygene.

I have tried to quit smoking so many times and beat myself up about it for years.

NO MORE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit