WHOIS the Antichrist?

by zev 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zev
    zev

Please note the following information from the Lack of Reasoning Book published by the w atchtower b ible and t ract s ociety, INC. "publishers" of the "good news".

*** rs 32-3 Antichrist *** Antichrist

Definition: Antichrist means against or insteadof Christ. The term applies to all who deny what the Bible says about Jesus Christ, all who oppose his Kingdom, and all who mistreat his followers. It also includes individuals, organizations, and nations that falsely claim to represent Christ or that improperly ascribe to themselves the role of Messiah.

Does the Bible refer to only one antichrist?

1 John 2:18: Young children, it is the last hour, and, just as you have heard that antichrist is coming, even now there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour.

2 John 7: Many deceivers have gone forth into the world, persons not confessing Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. (Notice that the many antichrists of 1 John 2:18 are here referred to collectively as the antichrist.)

Is the coming of the antichrist reserved for some future time?

1 John 4:3: Every inspired expression that does not confess Jesus does not originate with God. Furthermore, this is the antichrists inspired expression which you have heard was coming, and nowitisalready in the world. (That was written near the end of the first century C.E.)

1 John 2:18: Evennow there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour. (By last hour John evidently meant the end of the apostolic period. The other apostles had died, and John himself was very old.)

Some of those identified as antichrist

Persons who deny that Jesus is truly the Messiah

1 John 2:22: Who is the liar if it is not the one that denies that Jesus is the Christ [or, Messiah, anointed one]? This is the antichrist.

All who deny that Jesus is the unique Son of God

1 John 2:22: This is the antichrist, the one that denies the Father and the Son.

Compare John 10:36; Luke 9:35.

Apostates

1 John 2:18, 19: There have come to be many antichrists . . . They went out from us, but they were not of our sort.

Those who oppose Christs true followers

John 15:20, 21: If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also . . . But they will do all these things against you on account of my name.

Individuals and nations that oppose Christ as King or that themselves falsely claim the Messianic role

Ps. 2:2: The kings of earth take their stand and high officials themselves have massed together as one against Jehovah and against his anointed one [Christ, or Messiah].

See also Revelation 17:3, 12-14; 19:11-21.

Matt. 24:24: False Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

edited to fix the formatting, again.

Edited by - zev on 11 August 2002 9:39:41

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Also in 1 John (Chapter 4:2-3): "You gain the knowledge of the inspired expression from God by this: Every inspired expression that confesses Jesus Christ as having come in the flesh originatges with God, but every inspired expression that does not confess Jesus does not originatge with God. Furthermore, this is the antichrist's [inspired expression] which YOU have heard was coming, and now it is already in the world."

2 John verse 7: "For many deceivers have gone forth into the world, persons not confessing Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist."

Zev,

From all the passages you quote and those that I added, the question must be asked: Does the Watchtower Society confess Jesus Christ or itself? Who is most important, Jesus Christ or the organization? The answer should be obvious.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Replace "those that I added" with "those that I reiterated." I'm re-stressing those two passages that you already cited.

Thanks for sharing that Zev.

• FreeToBeMe
    FreeToBeMe

Ignatius? .... initiated concept of bishops (elders) as intermediaries between God and man, a concept upon which 'christianity' (incl. JWs) as we now know it is founded. Fits the definition of 'antichrist' to me, but then again I am biased.

FreeToBeMe

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Matt. 24:24: False Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

2 John verse 7: "For many deceivers have gone forth into the world, persons not confessing Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh . >>> This is the deceiver and the antichrist."

Cant get any plainer then that.

How do these scriptures read in all Bibles?

Kewl Post ZEV...The responses will be interesting. I'm just going to get some pop corn ready.

plum

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Oh one other thing that should be really considered as far as exactly what/who it is in reference to

John 15:20, 21: If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also . . . But they will do all these things against you on account of my name.

It would be a good idea to look at as many translations as possible and see how this particular word was used or taken from.

It can completely change the meaning of the verse. How it would be applied.

plum

If anyone is interested and wants to take the time to find out that is.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Plum, did you want the research mostly done on John 15:20,21? I could do that, have lots of Bibles and research aids. Let me know, k?

Craig

• puzzled
    puzzled

onacruse

If you have the time and realy feel like it that would be cool. I'd be interested in seeing the differences.

I have several Bibles however never thought I'd really NEED them so most are in storage.

Right now I have only three Bibles plus only 1 on-line Bible that I keep with-in reach.

Let me know if you do my e-mail is always (almost always) open

Plum

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

The Antichrist is a man and his number is 666.

Did you know if you take the original Roman numbers I=1 V=5 X=10 L=50 C=100 D=500 originally there was not an M it was added later, take the numerica values for each and add them up you get 666. Probably just a coincidence......maybe.....no just a coincidence I'm sure.

Edited by - lv4fer on 11 August 2002 22:50:12

• onacruse
    onacruse

OK, lets start with the various translations of Jo 15:21(in alphabetical order, bold added):

Amp: But they will do all this to you because of My name, for they do not know the One who sent Me. [textual insertions deleted]

AT: But they will do all this to you on my account, because they do not understand him who sent me.

AV: But all these things will they do unto you for my names sake, because they know not him that sent me.

AS: But all these things will they do unto you for my names sake, because they know not him that sent me.

Beck: Now they will do this to you on account of Me, because they dont know Him who sent Me.

CLNT: But all these things they will be doing to you because of My name, seeing that they are not acquainted with Him Who sends me.

Darby: But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they have not known him that sent me.

DY: But all these things they will do to you for my names sake, because they do not know him who sent me.

Je: But it will be on my account that they will do all this to you, because they do not know the one who sent me.

Kn: And they will treat you thus because you bear my name; they have no knowledge of him who sent me.

LB: but they will do all this to you on account of My name, for they do not know the One who sent Me.

ML: but they will do all this to you on account of My name, for they do not know the One who sent Me.

Mo: They will do all this to you on account of my name, because they know not him who sent me.

NAB: All this they will do to you because of my name, for they know nothing of him who sent me.

NAS: But all these things they will do to you for My names sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.

NE: It is on my account that they will treat you thus, because they do not know the One who sent me.

NIV: They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.

NKJV: But all these things they will do to you for My names sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.

NLT: The people of the world will hate you because you belong to me, for they dont know God who sent me.

NRSV: But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.

Ph: They will do all these things to you as my disciples because they do not know the one who sent me.

RSV: But all this they will do to you on my account, because they do not know him who sent me.

TEV: But they will do all this to you because you are mine; for they do not know the one who sent me.

WEY: But they will inflict all this suffering upon you on account of your bearing my namebecause they do not know Him who sent me.

WILL: They will do all this to you on account of me, because they do not know Him who has sent me.

YLT: but all these things will they do to you, because of my name, because they have not known Him who sent me;

Round 1. I would like to see your comments!

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit