define "Apostasy"

by zev 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

LMAO!!

Who's that plum? Must be someone who USED to post on the board.

• Beans
    Beans

Apostacy= Anyone who puts up a web site containing Watchtower Quotes!

Beans

• link
    link

apostate

late Gk apostates apostate, runaway slave, f. as APO- + stat- rel. to histanai cause to stand.] A n. 1 A person who abandons his or her religious faith or moral allegiance. ME . b A person who renounces religious vows without dispensation. LME . 2 gen. A person who deserts his or her principles or allegiance; a turncoat, a renegade. LME . B adj. 1 Unfaithful to religious principles or creed, or to moral allegiance; unbelieving,

My wife will not believe that she became an apostate when she left the Catholics and joined the Witnesses (I stayed on neutral ground). Yet I am often accused of reading apostate books (?) or visiting apostate web sites (?) If an apostate is "A person" how can we have apostate books and web sites?

link

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl
    Dictionary definition:

One who has forsaken the faith, principles, or party, to which he before adhered; esp., one who has forsaken his religion for another; n : a disloyal person who forsakes his cause or religion or political party or friend etc. [syn: deserter, renegade, recreant] ; faithless to moral allegiance; renegade; a pervert.

Pervert, eh? Yep, definitely within the organisation.

• searcher
    searcher

All

People

Out

SIde

The

Assimilation

Cry

Yes

Best I can come up with.

searcher.

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

LOL seacher, very creative, I like it!

One of the texts I remember sticks in my mind the most from my days in the Borg (and I don't see in the quotes above,) was about apostates being "fighters against God" or "haters against God" now....THAT REALLY bugs me 'cause I am NOT a "fighter against God." But JW logic would interpret "fighters against God's Organization" and I remember reading from Raymond Franz's books quotes from the WT that to even THINK a thought that is not in harmony with what the Society teaches is apostacy...and apostacy was always branded as "sin against the Holy Spirit," the only "unforgiveable sin."

Well, God's still a big part of my life, so I could not have possible committed an "unforgiveable sin."

Truth2Me

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

The Concise Oxford Dictionary defines apostasy as

1 Renunciation of a belief or faith, esp. religious

2 abandonment of principles or of a party

3 an instance of apostasy

And apostate as

a person who renounces a former belief, adherence etc.

The root of the word is APO- Away from, and -STAT stand.

So as link rightly pointed out, all JW's that converted from other religions are apostate to their former belief. This is a word, like "Truth", that has been hijacked by the WTBTS and imbued with all sorts of overtones and associations not present in its correct meaning. They have turned "apostate" into meaning some sort of bogeyman, a bit like FredHall's picture.

It is an excellent mechanism for stopping JW's from considering opposing viewpoints and arguments.

I remember how well conditioned I still was some years after I had escaped the bOrg. As I entered sites in the "Jehovahs Witnesses - Opposing Views" category, my heart was pounding - this was APOSTATE!!! Glad I found you all!!

• zev
    zev

the point of my post folks is....

lately here, and on an aol board i participate in is to just quote watchtower words. directly from their books magazines and bird cage liners i have found that without my personal comments, or thoughts, their words incriminate them without any help from lil' old me.

when i was looking for something yesterday to show Gwen i stumbled on the reasoning book and she has never seen that book. i was telling her what its use was and what it was all about.

i started looking for different topics in the index and found apostasy, (british=apostacy (y'all spell that word different, huh?)) and after reading it, i said, this is a great post all by itself, and obviously i was correct.

sometimes it helps the lurkers, and visitors here, to see their own watchtower words, like the Quotes site, without editorial.

any who, back to the wt cd-rom, i got another juicey tid bit i'm working on

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

apostasy oats pays

• Beans
    Beans

Apostasy= Stay soap

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit