Prayer

by larc 23 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Now that I am a long away from religion, I have to ask, what is the need for this prayer thing? Now, God knows everything, right? Well, so what is the need for prayer? If you do feel a need to pray, wouldn't be good idea to keep it short? After all, God is busy with billions of people dialing him up every day. All you have to say to God, is, I need help. You do not need to go into detail. God knows the detail, and anything you say is redundant to him, so please keep it short. To do otherwise is impolite and an imposition on God's time.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I haven't prayed in two years. . .

I fear God is mad at me. . .

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Larc, I wish you could tell that to Brother Talbot. This brother goes on and on and on in his prayers. Once he prayed so long I got tired and had to sit down waiting for him to finish!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Right on Larc! I pray, and I keep it short.

Craig

• larc
    larc

Duthie, I remember the brother Talbot's of the JW world. I remember the prayers after the public talk where the guy giving the prayer summarized the talk, and goes on and on and on and on. I am thinking, I was there and I don't need the summary, and I am sure that Jehovah doesn't need to hear it either. Oh well, such is life.

• J_Dubble_Agent_007
    J_Dubble_Agent_007

Prayer is really just an individual's way of expressing themselves to a 'living' God.

Some may view the length of time a person spends in prayer as proof that they were 'spiritual'.

I've listened to prayers that just went on, and on, and on, and on, and on to no real effect apart from praying for:
    the Borg, the wordwide brotherhood, the kingdum hell health & safety hazard builds, the GB, the 'worldwide work', the Commanding.Officer's visits, the Divisional.Officer's visits, the brother taking the talk, the brother due to take the talk, the pioneers, the auxilliaries, the specials, the special specials, the elders, the ministerial serpents, the circus assemblies, the 'strict' assemblies, the journey to the assemblies, the journey from the assemblies, the WT mag, the Awake! mag, the Publications to place, the publicatons to present, the search for 'deserving ones', the price of salami going up in Uzbekistan and generally any other loada bollox that could be squeezed in just to make himself sound like brother spiritual. In Jesus name.........
    Amen.

(Ok, he's done,........kids, grab ya bags, coloring books, pencils, crayons and highlighted pages of the WT, KM and/or any other book study book (that you've spent hours colouring in and highlighting in order to show you've done the poxy study) and letz get the chuff outta dis place so that we can go do something really interesting like finish off watching that paint dry, or watch our eyebrows and fingernails grow..........whattya say kids?????????????)

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prayer is a personal matter between the individual, and their Lord and Saviour. Period.

The names Conned, Brains conned.

(Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments or other loans secured on it)

• larc
    larc

Another thought on prayer: one of the common statements at a home prayer, is, thank you God for the food we eat. I think we should thank the farmers that grew it. I don't believe God has anything to do with farming any more.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Once I had a gathering at my house and Brother Talbot prayed before we ate. Well (I sat down before he started) he went on and on about Jehovah providing the food. I was thinking that Jehovah didn't go to work for 40 hours a week, collect a paycheck, go shopping and then spend all day on his/her feet making the food.

And he didn't mention my contribution once!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'm lost! I've lost my religion, have no god and just who is this jesus dude anyway? I think he is a trouble maker, lots of wars still being fought over him, I say stop already! I've had enough! Who would I pray to, who is the answerer of all prayers? I rather imagine whoever it is is asleep, I mean really how many times, from how many people do you have to hear the cry for help to stop hunger, disease, death, sorrow and I could go on and on, but I suspect no one is listening, no answers to all the request.

I don't pray.

bc

• Robdar
    Robdar

Larc,

I have never considered prayer to be some long list of demands or requests to God for help.

To me, prayer is more of a desire to communicate with God, my best Friend. Why wouldn't I want to talk to my best friend?

Why wouldn't God want to talk to his friends?

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit