OK, I was a wuss today.....

by Mimilly 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

I have seen my share of horrors in my life; my own; others when I worked on the ambulance and in the funeral home. I've come home covered in someone else's blood and dealt with death on numerous times. BUT.....

I have been to the dentist five times in the past month. First two were for cleaning. Third was for half my mouth to have the fillings replaced; fourth was for the other half to have my fillings replaced. (all childhood fillings btw). Each time I went I had no less than 15 pokes of that HUGE needle that feels like they're shoving up into your nose or eyeballs, in your gums and the roof of your mouth. At the end of the fourth appointment, my lower back was in spasms due to not laying back and enjoying the whole thing.

Today was the icing on the cake. Root canal. Very last molar on the upper right that has been causing my ear and sinus infections for approximately a year. First, I went to the family doc to get more antibiotics, cos the last two courses didn't work. I hate antibiotics. Got the prescription filled and didn't have time to take the bus home. I spent two hours contemplating the 'root canal'. I shook so badly, people just kinda looked at me as they walked by. An hour before my appointment I finally walked into said dentist's office and bluntly said "I'm scared shitless, and yes, I mean that - terrified." I was soothed into the waiting room and told to take my valium. I tried to read magazines and my eyes wouldn't take in the words. Another lady there told me that she knew someone who also had worked on the ambulance but couldn't stand papercuts. My jaw hit the floor - cos I can't either. Gaping wounds - hey.. fine... don't even discuss papercuts with me.

"Salem?" OH GAWD. THIS WAS IT. Because it is in the very top back of my mouth - I had fears of the clampy thing going down my throat. The anything that could go wrong sorta thing. When the assistant asked if I wanted to watch the overhead tv - my dentist answered 'YES'... lol.

Sigh. It went well. I go back in a week to get a real filling. My jaw hurts from being pried open as far as it can get - amazing how they do that. My dentist told me that she's had firefighters and construction guys come in just as terrified.

So my question is this: WHY is the dentist SO terrifying to go to? What are your horror stories or worries or hates about the whole thing? I personally didn't mind the needles, except for the abundance of them in the first four visits in a week and a half. (approx: 50 pokes of the damned thing) I thought I would instinctively kick the next person with that HUGE needle. What's the psychology behind this fear? Did we have horrible dentists as children? Does it just seem so friggin midevil?

do tell - please

Mimilly

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've had root canals too, so I know exactly what you're talking about. In a lot of ways, I think of myself as fearless, except for a trip to the dentist. For me, it's knowing I HAVE to have it done, there's no way out and that when I'm in "the chair" I have no control of the situation at all...I can't even move without me mentally thinking I'm going to make it worse. I think it goes back to the old "fight or flight" choice, and we have neither, so we're stuck with FEAR.

• LB
    LB

You big sissy.

I've been afraid too but these days the dentist seems like a mild interlude. I go to a dentist at his home, since I don't have dental coverage. He works out of his garage for people like me who have to pay cash. So a month ago, I sit down in his plastic drapped lawnchair and he yanks two teeth out. To be honest, it wasn't very bad. I certainly enjoyed the pain meds which I really didn't need.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Gee LB,

Does he work on your car too ?

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

(((mimilly))) i feel your pain... literally. i've had TWO root canals, TWO teeth pulled, THREE teeth cracked and my two front teeth were broken in half horizontally then shaved into fangs and capped THREE times before getting permanent enamel replacements. (i don't freeze well either ).

i've also had a total of NINE, yes NINE retainers when i was a kid (most lost at restaraunts) until having one permanently cemented in my mouth for a year!!

i've seen the dentist enough in my short 18 years to last a lifetime. and i truly have a million dollar smile . i owe my mom thousands!!

Edited by - bitter mango on 7 August 2002 22:26:20

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

LB - when it comes to the dentist - I'm a big sissy! I cannot however, imagine having to do what you have to do. I do have coverage up here in Canada - but it ran out and I had to pay out of my pocket for today's torture. I don't know how you 'mericans do it.

Next time I go to the dentist (next week), I will hear you yelling "Salem's a sissy! Salem's a sissy!" and I'll go "Yes I am! Yes I am!"

Double Edge - good point. Loss of control. I especially hate those mini pick-ax things they use. Today, as in every visit to the dentist - was an exercize in self-control and the tug of war between panic and relax; panic and relax.

hugs, Mims.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Mimilly, I can't believe this thread.

I went to the dentist on Monday, my first time in two years. I keep cancelling appointments, and finally after breaking my second filling a year and a half ago, and not having either fixed, I realized I had better do it. I have an absolute, unreasonable TERROR of dentists!!!!

I got new insurance this year, so had to pick a new dentist too. He looks about 18, but was really sweet, and told me that he is actually 28. He did a full exam and ordered a deep cleaning for me, for TOMORROW!!! I hope I sleep tonight. I have Valium to take (only one) and a friend to drive me. He is also going to repair the broken filling on the same side I have the cleaning. Yes, that has to be done in two sessions. He was very understanding of my terror, so said he would get the work done in two appointments to relieve my anxiety somewhat. There was very little to do, thankfully. Just the cleaning and two broken filling repairs.

The last dentist I had was a Croatian woman dentist, who was not too tolerant of my fears. Eastern European Super Woman, I guess. I wasn't too sad to leave her, although she was really good. Her exam two years ago indicated that I might have early signs of gum disease, and had #6 and #7 pockets, and thus the deep cleaning order. I hate those the worst, so kept cancelling appointments.

The exam yesterday showed very significant improvement in the gums, and no sign of disease, just a few #4's, that made him think I should have the deep cleanse. (most were #2 and #3) I have been treating myself for these two years, trying to avoid this dilemma. (alternatives............don't scream) CoQ10, a homeopathic toothpaste, and a product for plaque, called ChitoRich, that is actually a fat absorber, but works on teeth too. I market all of them, so knew what to use.

So, you aren't alone! I am so happy to know I am not the only dentist phobic.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Bitter Mango - ouch! and Double ouch! I applaud you darlin'.

My oldest, Beth, has her dad's 'perfect' teeth - that is, except for the tiny technicality of horrible wisdom teeth probs. Her's are starting now. My youngest, Shelene, needs braces - she's 18, and has to pay out of her pocket. First she needs an operation to remove a tendon between her front teeth - then braces, then one of her canine teeth needs to be replaced by one of those permanent ones drilled into the jaw. She is having serious probs with her TMJ, so it has to be done. When I get working, I'll be helping her pay that off. Her dental ran out the second she turned 18.

One way or another - dental work hurts!

Mulan - I'll be with you holding your hand in spirit! Remember that. (((((((((((((Mulan)))))))))))))

Mims

Edited by - Mimilly on 7 August 2002 22:36:46

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had braces too............for three years, 8th grade through 11th. The worst years and they weren't common in the early 60's. Only rich kids got braces.........my dad was a doctor. Not one other kid in my whole school had them. It was awful. I also had to have that tendon removed, called a phrenectomy. I should be grateful............my mouth wasn't pretty. I had 6 teeth removed during the orthodontia process.

All four of my kids had to have them too. They all inherited my large teeth and small mouth. Their Dad has a larger mouth and small teeth. No fair. Only one had the phrenectomy.

I guess it's no wonder I hate dentists.

Thanks, Mims. I'll be thinking about you.

They offered me nitrous oxide, but it costs another $50 and my insurance doesn't cover it, so I will tough it out. I just wish they could get a silent DRILL!!!

Edited by - mulan on 7 August 2002 22:43:1

• Mulan
    Mulan

My appointment is at 3, so my hubby said I don't have to make dinner tomorrow night. Mom and Dad will eat on their own, and I will probably be having my nervous breakdown.

He can be a real dream sometimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit