What would you have done without the WT?

by expatbrit 32 Replies latest jw friends

• logical
    logical
    ALL OF YOU ARE STILL JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AND AT THE RATE YOU'RE GOING, YOU WILL REMAIN WITNESSES UNTIL YOU DRAW YOUR LAST BREATHE.

You have a point there. You see NO MAN can annul the covenant concluded at baptism. Baptised JW's have PROMISED Jehovah they will do His will for life, dedicated their lives unreservedly to do Jehovah's will... and Jehovah will certainly require this. Ecclesiastes 5:4-6

• LDH
    LDH

You've got a good point too, Logical! Right on the top of your head!

I guess this would explain why YOU'RE not baptised.[8>]

• bigboi
    bigboi

That's a great question,

In answering it I think I need to quote randy watters from freeminds. In an article he wrote I remember him saying something like "christianity isn't man working for God but rather God working through man. I think there's a lot truth in that statement. Oddly enough I became involved with the jw's around the time my two older cousins turned my grandmother's house into a cocaine distribuion center. I often think about the fact that if I hadn't been involved with the "truth" at that time I probably would have joined them in their illegal activity and probably would be dead or in jail by now, like my cousins. So I am thankful to God for protecting me through these peolple. Maybe he knew that this was the only way to help me. I really can't complain about my life or balme a lot of things I've experienced solely on my involvement with the wts. Fact of the matter is I joined to really sheild myself from a lot of the pressures associated with growing up poor in the inner city. The kingdom hall to me was a welcome relief with it's quiet suburban americana feel to it. I guess I got what I deserved. Truth be told we can't turn a blind eye to what goes on in our lives. I think God wants us to meet our problems head on and accept the help he gives along the way. It's the only way we can grow and truly become men and women in the fulllest sense.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Wow! Interesting comments!

An overall impression from reading all the posts is that, sure the WT screwed our lives up to one extent or another, but now we're free let's get on and live life as much as we can.

Prince did raise an interesting point. But sharing experiences on this DB with others who are familiar with them, or helping each other go through the same things we are, is not whining, nor is it trying to "exorcise" ourselves of our JW past. Using this board is part of "getting over it". And no one actually said that the WT is to blame for all their problems and failures in life.

Prince: you got lambasted pretty thoroughly, but don't let it stop you posting your point of view in future.

LDH: I love it when you get feisty!

Redhorsewoman: Are you really a goddess? Since you're into horses, do you know Epona?

Thanks again to everyone, I was really interested in hearing what you thought.

Expatbrit.

• princecharmant
    princecharmant

LDH, with such elegance I understand why you couldn't be anything but what you are. Your mouth-foaming response simply underscores the fact that you've remained stunted since you "left" to the point that you never actually left. Whether you choose to adorn you status with the ex- prefix does not change the hard and cold reality that you remain enslaved to your past. Your crude language will not change that.

You are not the only one to have gone out peddling the Watchtower and Awake, nor are you singular in deciding that your kid(s) will not suffer that fate. Worldwide, thousands of parent, even those still in "their truth" have chosen to give their offspring something better than they received. But to be so marooned by your experience, to found your responses to life on it, to descend to the abyss where you are judging by your reaction is most tragic.

• larc
    larc

Prince,

Are you the second coming of Xandit? We have gone through this before. Are you a JW apologist or someone who has never lived in the Witness culture? Your perspective is out of touch with our reality.

Lisa,

I am proud of you. I remember several months ago when "smart girl" was here and you got after that arragant little B..ch. You told about your accomplishments which are quite impressive. We have all "grown up through the concrete" as it were, and you among others are stronger for it.

RHW,

Of all your many good posts here, I thought yours about how you cope and grow was inspiring. Thank you.

On a different subject altogether. Are you familiar with the horse trainer who can get a horse to let him ride without breaking him. He uses a round ring and gets to know the horse and is never harse with him. I have seen two tv programs about his technique and it was impressive and touching at the same time.

• LDH
    LDH

Frog Prince:

Whether you choose to adorn you status with the ex- prefix does not change the hard and cold reality that you remain enslaved to your past.

WOW!!!! Would you mind sharing the earth shattering news that we are all products of our childhood environments with the next convention of Psychologists and Psychiatrists?

My rabid response was directed at you because you admonished people to *stop whining.* Who do you think you are? This thread was started with the intent that people could dream that the time they spent peddling magazines was instead spent pursuing an enriching personal activity.

You nor any other person has the right to minimize those dreams, fantasies or whatever else you want to call it.

Larc,
    As you know I love you, friend. I will only ever unsheath my talons when provoked. Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I know the account of the horse whisperer well. I have seen a TV show documentary on this subject.

L.

• Xandit
    Xandit

He's definitely not my second coming but he's right. Just because you can't face the truth doesn't mean it isn't the truth. The organization has got its hooks buried in you so deeply that you'll never let go. Unlike the 97% that leave and never look back.

If I hadn't been a Witness I'd probably be dead. Three of my friends and two of my relatives were killed in Southeast asia. That's not counting the couple more that were shot up, one lost an eye. We were all the same age so I probably would have been in the middle of it. Then there's the cousin that ODd and the other one that was killed while he was DUI. I'm glad I missed out on all those things. There are some other things that I missed out on but for the most part I'm pretty happy with the way my life has gone.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    On a different subject altogether. Are you familiar with the horse trainer who can get a horse to let him ride without breaking him. He uses a round ring and gets to know the horse and is never harse with him. I have seen two tv programs about his technique and it was impressive and touching at the same time.

I think you may be referring to Monty Roberts. He is only one of many who teach Natural Horsemanship. However, he is generally the least respected of any of the NH trainers due to his commercialization of the process and his attempt to push the horses too fast so that the results are not often lasting.

Others, such as Tom Dorrance, Buck Branaman, John Lyons, Pat Parelli, GaWani Ponyboy, et al use the same techniques and are quite well known.

In fact, before I had ever done any research on Natural Horsemanship, I started using these techniques on my horse, who was extremely spooky and nervous. There's nothing "magical" about it, but rather it comes from understanding horse psychology and using it to gain the animal's trust and respect.

• unanswered
    unanswered

prince-
    But to be so marooned by your experience, to found your responses to
    life on it, to descend to the abyss where you are judging by your
    reaction is most tragic.

tragic, eh? LDH i think is not quite in an abyss of misery. i think very few of us have lives that would qualify as tragic. if you are so immune to the effects of the WT, would you mind listing your proud accomplishments and explain how you have left the rest of behind so sucessfully? expain your high horse please. btw, by complaining about us, aren'tyou guilty of "whining" as well?

nate-of the "i'm not buying it " class

Edited by - unanswered on 23 March 2001 14:26:24

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit