Harry Potter

by puppylove 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Just started Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone this evening. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about since it made J.K. Rowling a billionaire.

http://in.rediff.com/money/2004/feb/27jkr.htm

• free2beme
    free2beme

I love them, read them all, own all the movies and looking forward to the new movie next year!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Let me know what you think of the books.

I think they're great fun, and there's nothing more fun to me than solving a puzzle and a mystery.

And yes, I'm a colassal nerd.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I absolutely love the books and its funny this thread should come up right now when I have decided to re-read all of them. I'm just starting on Book 4 (fast reader) and can't wait for her next book to come out.

I have wondered too about all the hype about killing Harry off, but there will only be one way to find out....

Sherry

• bebu
    bebu

Chris, you have a mind like a trap. There are so many details in those books that I always have to re-read the last book just before the next sequel comes. And then I just remember the results and the major events, not the 'minor' (and obviously quite important) details. Chris, do you visit any particular websites or boards online for discussions about it? If so, what would you recommend?

BTW have you figured out why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much?

Aaaargh. I think I did, once upon a time. Now I can't recall!! You wanna spill the beans--or give a hint? Or are you just trying to torment me?? The reason Dumbledore gave was that Snape had taken measures to show he had given up on the deatheaters. But that is far too general to be interesting at all.

"Stopper in death.".. Hmmmmm! Only thing is, Dumbledore may not have been aware of what Snape was actually up to, since (as I recall) he resisted Snape--pleaded with him not to say the spell... Anyway, I think that is a very intriguing theory!

Harry Potter is so much fun, I hope we don't spoil the plot for others. But even if one already knows the plot, the books are SO much fun nonetheless, they are like a roller coaster ride. Again, I highly recommend it! A great combination of mystery and fantasy, humor and drama.

bebu

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

One of the most wonderfully hilarious things in the world is that fundy Christians in the USA mistook a satirical article about Harry Potter triggering a rise in Satanism for a real news report, and actually used the text of the article in chain E-mails warning of the danger;

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.htm

As for the books themselves, they're great, and I'm looking forward to OotP out on film summer '07.

The last book seems liely to be the last Harry book, from what JK has said; no 'Harry at University'. This is and always has been a seven book sequence.

Harry dying is not impossible. Also in the firing line are Ginny, Hermie, Ron, and (prehaps more so as already commented on) Hagrid and Neville. I also agree that Severus might play a pivotal role at the last monute; maybe something like Vader chucking the Emperor over the railing in SWVI:RotJ? I predict that RAB is Sirrius's brother whose middle name is Arcturus... and maybe Sirrius will stage a come-back? I mean, him being dead isn't TOO much of a barrier in a fantasy. And Id be suprised if Dumbledore doesn't make an appearance as a portrait.

Given the linkage between Voldermort and Harry, maybe Harry absorbs Voldemort and extinguishes the evil, becoming the most powerful wizard of all time? Maybe Harry's destruction of Voldemort will come at the cost of his own magic powers? Those two options make far better endings than Ginny and Ron sobbing over Harry's body.

• Celia
    Celia

I love the Harry Potter books. Read the first four at least 9 times each.... a little less for the last two...

BTW, I have strong suspicions that Severus could actually be a good guy, despite having killed Dumbledore. He didn't kill Harry off when he had the chance, which was very, very odd... and Rowling always leads you one way and surprises you from the other side.

Snape didn't kill Dumbledore. Dumbledore is not dead. Snape and Dumbledore planned the whole thing to have Voldemort and his followers believe that he was out of the way... Can't wait for the last book!

• Legolas
    Legolas

I love and read them all!

• Princess
    Princess
    And Id be suprised if Dumbledore doesn't make an appearance as a portrait.

Didn't he already appear as a portrait in the headmaster's office in book six?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I'm working my way through the series for the fifth time -- I get something new out of it each time. It's fascinating! Plus, the series will always have a warm spot in my heart because it was the first Christmas present I received from our young son. We decided to celebrate Christmas after leaving the Witnesses, and Jackson picked out that book to give to me. I started reading it Christmas Day and was immediately fascinated, so we went out and rented the first three movies ("Prisoner of Azkaban" had just been released on DVD). One of the presents I gave Chris was a martini set -- shaker and six martini glasses -- and my vivid memories of Christmas and New Year's consist of Harry Potter and martinis! After that, there was no turning back. All of us read the books and fought over the new ones that came out. We all count down the days to the new movie and/or book. The kids are more blase about it than we are, because we enjoy the intricacies of the plots more than they, but it's all a good time at our house!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit