Harry Potter

by puppylove 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• puppylove
    puppylove

So, has anyone read these books, and if so, what do you think?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

On the recommendation of several people at work, I checked these out and read excerpts from several chapters. I got several of the books, but I haven't had a chance to complete reading them, though.

They seem to be fascinating. I know that many advise caution because the books deal with wizardry and such....but I DO love fantasy stories.

• Seven
    Seven

Try this:
    [url= http://www.cesnur.org/recens/potter_00.htm]
    Lots of talk about Harry's impact on youth-culture
    and religion.

• Shanna Korin
    Shanna Korin

Haven't missed one book or one movie! LOVE IT My grandmother a JW and maybe not such a good one now that I look back lol peaked my interest about anything magical or sci-fi/fantasy related at the age of 7.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

love the potter stories...at least once I got over that whole witch craft demonic thing.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Just had a thought haven't seen our favorite potions master severus posting on here recently. Severus we need your greasy hooked nose back in here.

• Forscher
    Forscher

I am a fan!

At first I avoided them because of all the talk about the "witchcraft" in them. But I was talked into going to the first movie and decided to read the book. Because of my pre-Witness background in socery, I recognized it for the fantasy it is and have enjoyed all the books.

I have a question for the fans here, it would appear that Rowllings has made good on her threat and set up a situation where Harry may be killed in the last book (the prophecy implies as much and another little clue hint at that). Do you think she will kill her golden goose and risk alienating her fan base?

Forscher

• bebu
    bebu

It's a very enjoyable series! The format allows all kinds of events and turns in the story which a non-magical background could not allow. It is fun for fantasy, and unless you already are attracted to real witchcraft, this won't get you there. I say, enjoy it!

Forscher, if she does have Harry killed, it will NEED to be in a very noble way in order to make it more bearable to fans. I think it will also resolve the threat of future 'Voldemorts'. It will also mean that Hermione ends up with Ron. (I nearly feel that it would be more tragic if Ron got killed off, since Harry's death will be so productive! ) I am expecting an INTERESTING ending which doesn't need to rely primarily on the "magic" powers of love to make the story ending work.

And of course, with Harry effectively gone, she won't have to write any more in this series.

BTW, I have strong suspicions that Severus could actually be a good guy, despite having killed Dumbledore. He didn't kill Harry off when he had the chance, which was very, very odd... and Rowling always leads you one way and surprises you from the other side.

I wonder if she will use the 'time turner' thing to twist the plotline in the last novel...

bebu

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Oh boy a fun subject!

Nina and I are big fans, we got started by reading them with the kids and now we like the series more than they do.

I have a question for the fans here, it would appear that Rowllings has made good on her threat and set up a situation where Harry may be killed in the last book (the prophecy implies as much and another little clue hint at that). Do you think she will kill her golden goose and risk alienating her fan base?

See one thing Rowling is very, very good at is misdirection. The series is a classic hero journey where the hero must face the ultimate evil alone. A modern day pop culture example is the original Star Wars movies.

No, I'm 100% convinced the series does not end with Harry dead. Having said that, I think there is a good chance Harry may die, or at least journey to the underworld. (Remember the Veil in the Department of Mysteries?)

In every book, Harry makes a descent and returns wiser and more powerful. Book 1 - he goes past the 3 headed dog (think Cerebrus who guards Hades); Book 2 - he descends to Chamber of Secrets; Book 3 - he goes past the Whomping Willow to descend to the Shrieking Shack (along with the descent to the lake to fight dementors); Book 4 - he travels to the graveyard to fight Voldemort; Book 5 - he descends to the bottom of the Ministry to battle Death Eaters; and Book 6 - he descends to the lake to get the Horcrux. So I don't know if Harry will literally die, or have a figurative death (I tend to think he will 'go beyond the veil' which has been referenced numerous times) but afterward he rises up with more knowledge and power than before.

The one absolute rule Rowling obeys is the rule of Setup and Payoff. She will set up something (for example the Vanishing Cabinet first introduced in Chamber of Secrets). Part of the payoff was when Montague was put in one in Order of Phoenix, but the real payoff is Malfoy using them to get Death Eaters into Hogwarts. She has spent 6 books setting up everything Harry needs and wants in life (remember the Mirror of Erised in the first book? his heart's desire was to see his family): a wife (Ginny) and family (the Weasleys). It would go against everything she has done in this series for her to kill him off permanently.

Now I do think there will be several deaths in the last book, although I do not think Voldemort will die ("Voldemort has never understood there are things worse than death"). I think things are looking very grim for Hagrid and Neville however.

One thing I'm really looking forward to seeing is the Dursleys in No. 12 Grimmauld Place. That's going to be fun.

BTW, I have strong suspicions that Severus could actually be a good guy, despite having killed Dumbledore

Me too. There is a theory going round, and one I subscribe to, that says Snape didn't really kill Dumbledore. This is the theory of Stoppered Death. Remember the first potions lesson? Snape said, "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." There are several references thoughout "Half Blood Prince" that point back to that first potions lesson.

The theory says that Dumbledore was mortally wounded when he destroyed Marvolo's ring (Voldemort's Horcrux). He arrived back at Hogwarts where Snape "stoppered" death. The big clue is Dumbledore's dead hand. So throughout the book, Dumbledore is, for all intents and purposes, a hair's breadth from death (one clue: he took his own memories, not from his head but from a bottle during those lessons with Harry). The other running theme in the book: the ability to cast a non-verbal spell.

Fast forward to the Astronomy Tower: Snape simply "pulled the plug" on Dumbledore, releasing him into death, cast a simple non-verbal spell that would blast Dumbledore off the tower but the only thing anyone saw was him saying the Avada Kedavra spell. See? Although Dumbledore really is dead, Snape didn't kill him.

BTW have you figured out why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much?

Chris

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I am expecting an INTERESTING ending which doesn't need to rely primarily on the "magic" powers of love to make the story ending work.

Me too. Although we've already been told how Harry will defeat Voldemort. Remember?

Love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit