Stone Circles?

by frogit 19 Replies latest jw friends

• frogit
    frogit

I live near some really interesting stone circles Derbyshire England, I love visiting this place, I even went late in the day when it was dark, just

to get the feel of what the place was all about. Some people talk about the personality of each stone circle, strange!

Many things have been written about stone circles (or Henge as in )

One time I visited someone had left some fruit on the main stone, a bit like a gift for whomever?

I wonder about the ancient people that made this circle, what these people believed, what did they know about the cosmos, did they

know about God?

Each time I go there I wonder at what may have gone on over 4,000 years ago; oh I wish I had a time machine, just to see what went on.

Do you have places that you find fascinating?

frogit

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The nearest significant stone circle to me looks like this:

Scotland is full of them, and I have visited this one a few times.

• aluminutty
    aluminutty

Frogit:
    I too am interested in stone circles, and have been ever since childhood. I read a lot of books as a kid, and many of them were fantasy/speculative fiction titles written by British authors. So, even as a kid growing up in the states, I was exposed to the mystery of the stone circles.

These strange stone artifacts created by the ancients are indeed awe inspiring and mysterious. The sheer size and weight of the stones, and their exact placement, have for centuries fascinated scholars and everyday Joes alike. The mystery is two fold, how were such enormous stones moved, in some cases hundreds of kilometers, and then set in place with exacting precision, and why was such an endeavor undertaken in the first place.

Even utilizing modern heavy machinery and construction techniques, it would be nearly impossible to replicate the engineering feat inherent in the stone circles. This being said, how did the ancients, not possessing derricks and earth movers and the like, accomplish this impossible -- no not impossible because they exist -- task? Answer, um, um, [scratching head a bit] don't know.

Now then, to the why. What would have possessed a people to undertake such an endeavor. I have heard two sort of answers which are, fascination with time, and religious conviction. Today we have watches, with which we can meter out the hours of the day, and the days in the year. Each hour is neatly displayed on a little round thing adorning our wrist. Nifty, aye? Well, the ancients didn't have such contraptions; instead, they, so the theory goes, used the stone circles to keep track of time. This is easy to prove, too. All you need do is look at the position of the sun in relation to the circle to figure what, for example, is the longest or shortest day of the year. These specific days were of particular interest to the ancients because they coincided with the observance of the changing of the seasons, which symbolize planting and harvest, death and rebirth. Although this theory rings true, it seams a bit hollow, as if it were only a partial explanation of the whole. It also doesn't answer the question why we ... and this is second hand since I've never had the opportunity to visit a henge .... feel such awe, such connection, such, well power even, at the site or even thought of the stone circles, when today we wear those little watch thingies on our wrists.

Earlier, I alluded to the connection between the genre of the fantastic, and the stone circles. While I'm blithering on about the henges, I might as well tell you my favorite fantastic "what if" speculative idea involving them. What if somehow the henges are gates, doorways to another time and or space. What if we possessed the key to unlock these doorways and could cross the threshold of another reality and step into another world. Again, this is what if, but isn't it a cool idea?

Lastly, I'll mention this. Recently, a limestone circle, eerily like those that can be found in the British isles, was unearthed nearly 4,000 miles away across the pond in sunny southern Florida. Hmmmm, isn't that odd? It proves again how much more connected the ancients were than we would like to admit. As 21st century humans, we have this annoying superiority complex. We like and are more comfortable with the notion that we are the first to try to understand the cosmos, when we are really only rediscovering what was once lost to us all. And to think that none of this is mentioned in the Bible. Hmmmm.
    We are so out of touch with reality, it's sad. There is so much obscured by time, so much that we can't even grasp just waiting for us, maybe on the "Oooooooo" other side of the circle.

Edited by - aluminutty on 3 August 2002 10:57:29

• Princess
    Princess

I have to guess that you have read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. That is the premise for her books, the gateway to another time. Totally amazing idea that makes for a great story. I have to visit a stone circle someday.

Rachel

• Celtic
    Celtic

Needless to say I absolutely adore stone circles, and have been to Boscowan un stone circle on Samhein and Beltane to watch the ancient rituals taking place there.

Here are several pics all of stone circles very near to where I live.

A site which may help you too in understanding more of the antiquity meaning behind these places is http://www.geniusloci.co.uk

The Hurlers

Boscowen un Stone Circle from around 1500bc and

The Cheesewring

Tregeseal Stone Circle and Carn Kenidjack, the hooting carn

Merry Maidens and

Edited by - Celtic on 3 August 2002 12:11:50

• aluminutty
    aluminutty

Princess

Yes, I have read that book, and a few others with a similar premise, the titles of which I can't recall. Fascinating stuff! Nice to meet another sci-fi/ fantasy fan.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have been to Stonehenge (probably the most famous) and to Avebury, an entire town inside a stone circle. Some of the stones are ENORMOUS!! You have to wonder how they got there. You get a very eerie feeling while visiting them too, ............at least our little group of 4 sure did.

This is Avebury, the henge built about 4600 years ago.

Edited by - mulan on 3 August 2002 11:10:23

• Celtic
    Celtic

More:

Men an Tol

Men- Scryfa - The inscribed Stone

Chun Quoit - Neolithic chamber tomb from 4000BC

Stannon stone circle

Trippets stone circle

More at http://www.geniusloci.co.uk/gallery7.htm

Hope you enjoy seeing these, feel free to ask for more.

Celtic Mark - Cornwall, UK

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Thanks Mark for a great group of photos. Every time one of you "Brits" post a photo of your country, I want to bet on the nearest plane going your way. Again, Mark, thanks so much for going to the trouble to enlighten us "Yanks."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What an interesting thread,thanks for posting all the pics...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit