The Movie "Signs"--Review

by patio34 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• patio34
    patio34

I thought the movie was very good. But after seeing the comparison with religious over (and under) tones, it makes me a bit more uncomfortable now. If theyd just have left that theme go, or not made it so central, Id have liked it better. Pat

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Well out of the last few movies I've seen, this was probibly the best one. I really liked it.

• queer_reality
    queer_reality

Just saw it this evening. Very suspensful, often funny --the aluminium foil, oh my. (LMAO)
    I did jump a few times.

Alchemist, Mel did get upset. But he was more wierded out than mad.
    His character had recently lost his wife and subsequently quit his job as a local reverend.
    So everything he experienced was through a filter of emotional trauma.

I liked the technique used an the end of the film to show that some time had passed.

I liked the directors' two previous movies also.

queer_reality

• Xander
    Xander

Gah, didn't like it much at all.

I mean, it just wasn't SCARY. I don't find a movie scary unless the reason for the fear is plausible. Case in point: 'Alien' and 'Aliens' were scary because there were no gaping plot holes - everyone and everything acted *exactly* as you'd expect given their situation and time period.

In this movie, in short, it was another one of those where the characters had to act 'dumb' in order for the suspense to build up and the 'bad guys' had to act dumb in order for the whole situation to even be resolved. I mean, well, wait...

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

K, if you're still reading, I'm assuming you don't care about having the movie ruined (or, you've already seen it):

Okay, what of the aliens? They are so far advanced, they have interstellar travel. They can cloak their ships. Yet....they chose to invade a planet knowing part of its environment is toxic to them? Then, after making this rash decision....forget to wear their space suits that would protect them from this environmental hazard?

And no weapons of any kind, huh? For an 'Alien' I could understand, maybe, but these guys have trouble with plywood - you'd think they'd have a good ol' ray gun or two.

And what of all the loose ends? I mean, we hear the aliens leave (but, obviously, they didn't all leave)...so, what happens next? Do they come back? If not, why not? Was it really just the water that drove them away? And, hey, while we're on that topic...if water effects them so badly....I wonder exactly WHAT the humidity was in all the spots they chose to visit. Cause, if it wasn't, like, ZERO, they'd be having some problems all over the place.

Now, granted, it did have funny parts. And, the funny parts WERE funny. And, it did have several tear-jerker moments...and they WERE sad moments.

But, the movie was obviously overall a 'scare' movie - and aside from one or two good jumps, it just wasn't scary.

I was honestly hoping (from the reviews), that this was another 'Aliens' - by far the scariest movie of ALL TIME - but, in fact, it just didn't hold a candle to it.

The story of an alien invasion met with faith, its invaders are symbolic of what happens to people and their children when they become cynical unbelievers, writing off both the bad and the good as the product of chance.

Yeah, that was a little over the top.

And, it's REALLY funny in an ironic sort of way if you think about it.

I mean, either:

A) Mankind evolved, and so did these aliens, so there is no god and we're basically screwed

B) Mankind was created....and thus, so were these aliens....so, uhhh, either god is taking sides (in which case, we're probably screwed), or he's staying out of it (in which case we are DEFINATELY screwed)

So, no matter HOW the religion question panned out, the fact that the aliens were HERE, ON EARTH, means religion isn't going to help.

Except, of course, in the movie, it DOES - the story ends happy and everyone turns back to god.

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

I seen it today. I liked it even though there were some holes in the plot. This monster could take a beating and keep coming but had a hard time with wood doors. Mel didn't get pissed that his field got ruined but he was a controled type that couldn't swear either. I would see it again and will problably buy the DVD. 7 stars out of 10

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE YET

The part about not having any weapons didn't bother me at all since they were "supposed" to be far advanced then we are in every aspect.

The real bummer was "seeing" the alien holding the boy and wabbling back and forth like a confused prehistoric dinosaurs.

The death of his wife unfolding to suggest that God somehow caused it to happen because she was sighted and needed to pass a clue on to her soon to be faithless husband in order to save the family (change history) discover his new found faith and raise the little girl, who inherrited her mothers esp, was a bit much.

They could have really hurt them by just spitting on then for one thing so they were far more delicate then humans not to mention incredible lack of rythem and personality.

They were going to take over the earth by thinking us to death.

Other then that I really enjoyed the rest of the movie.

I liked the charators. There expressions were great. The kids were great. It was suspensful and funny. It would have been better if they never showed the alien. It would have been better if they left the "it was mean to happen" bullsh** out.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

This movie is a clear machination of Satan designed to minimize the end of the World and Har Mageddon.

It is just like when those moveis came out..Armageddon, and that other movie about the Comet hitting the

earth. Satan made these movies to desensitize the world about the coming Armageddon. And look NOW!!.

Do you see how people are still talking about how great Bruce Willis was. And how the govts. will use

their military power to fight Jehvohas use of natural forces. I remember there were a number of comments

by the Bretheren and Sisters when these movies came out..They were truly wathcman. Making

good comments like this in the Wathctower study.

• jack2
    jack2

Already one sister said this movie is "demonized". When it was explained to her that it's about aliens, she insisted still that it's "demonized". One more movie for the jw's (at least some of them) to get all hot and bothered about. Move over ET.....

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

That sister sounds like a world class f***up. What an idiot. Deeeeeemmmmmmoiiinnnzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scary.

ash

• heathen
    heathen

I saw it today and can agree with some of the plot problems as mentioned thus far .I personally was thinking more of special effects and mell being the hero of the day in an all out fight for human kind . As I see it though if the aliens were in space with minimal gravity for a long period of time,that might explain the inability to use force .The obvious over site on using encounter suits due to their weekness to water can not be explained away, that definately made the story look rediculous . Over all I did give it thumbs up ,the kids, I thought did a great job acting .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit