The Movie "Signs"--Review

by patio34 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all,

I started a new thread because the other one was about going to see it and I just got home from seeing it

Some of the reviews said it didn't answer many of the questions it brought up. My opinion: au contraire!! It was completely satisfying and was very thorough.

Out of 10 points I'd give it a strong 8. I really enjoyed it. It was suspenseful, very witty moments that kept it from being a dark mood (ala X-Files), and had interesting sub-plots and character developments.

What did anyone else think of it?

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 2 August 2002 21:58:1

• Satanus
    Satanus

I thought it was pretty good, except that the aliens came w no weapons for their hand to hand combat. All it took to stop them was a wooden door about one eighth inch thick. Still, an ok movie. But i'm not a serious movie buff.

SS

• patio34
    patio34

Hi SS,

Yeah, that's right. You'd expect them to have something, especially since they were advanced enough to travel to earth. Good point.

Pat

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LMAO! I haven't seen it so reading this is quite comical.

I will probably see it tomorrow or Sunday. I'll post after.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I saw it tonight....

really good movie

It was funnier than I thoght it would be but I have to admit---I did jump a couple of times

definately worth seeing!!

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

I am curious. Did Mel get pissed when his field got flattened? If not it is not realistic and maybe not worth seeing.

• patio34
    patio34

LOL Alchemist about Mel. No, the movie didn't use the "Don't Make Mel Mad" theme.

Here's part of a review in Slate.com about the movie from a reviewer who gave the movie much more thought than I did:

As a scare picture, Signs is good enough. As a religious parable, it's scarier and I don't mean that as a compliment. The story of an alien invasion met with faith, its invaders are symbolic of what happens to people and their children when they become cynical unbelievers, writing off both the bad and the good as the product of chance. Shyamalan (the director) is saying that when you reject God, you kill your kids. The idea that an atheist or agnostic parent could be good parent could instill values of skepticism and intellectual rigor is outside this movie's purview.

The review approaches the movie for its religious overtones--the reverend loses his faith, etc. The director, btw, was in the movie as the guy who killed the rev's wife.

Spice, I laughed along with the crowded audience quite a few times. It has a lot of humor in it.

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 3 August 2002 10:26:55

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Saw it last night with some friends and while I did enjoy it, on the whole I was a bit disappointed. Having seen the director's previous films, I was expecting some sort of extra punch at the end, but it just never came. I suppose that's my fault for reading too much into the movie.

In a way, it reminded me of much of Stephen King's writing...the journey to the end is absolutely awesome, but the ending itself always leaves something to be desired. King has got an amazing way with a story that makes you keep hanging on, wanting to know what happens, but his conclusions usually fall flat. That's the way this movie felt to me.

Having said that, I did nearly soil myself about six times so I guess I got my money's worth. LOL!

Brian

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I'm on my way to see it now. Be back in a few hours.

plum

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

I loved it ...my bf hated it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit