what did god do before he did anything?

by sleepy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• 13th_apostate
    13th_apostate

jst2laws: interesting comments. IMO if the bible was more a guide to coping with our own existence rather than gods then it still fails as it has been used to justify atrocious behavior throughout history (i.e. the crusades, indulgences of the catholic church, slavery, separatist groups, etc) as well as and as much as good behaviour.

I like the idea someone put forth as eternity being the space about which time can travel in; I never thought of that in that way before.

nice thread here - serious without anyone fighting. I like it.

will

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Here's something I wrote a little while ago.

I've pasted it straight from document so please forgive the silly font (seemed like a good idea at the time). At least part of it touches on "actions in eternity" (Scenario 5)

Infinity, Eternity and Blobs Definitions:

Eternal, eternity:

usually a reference to time. Having no beginning or end. The subject has always and will always exist. Immeasurable.

Infinite, infinity:

usually a reference to size or dimension. Having no starting or finishing point. Immeasurable.

Sentient:

Able to think, feel and communicate.

All powerful:

Having no limits on ability .

Scenario 1.

You have an infinitely long piece of string and you cut it in two.

Are

the two pieces of string longer, shorter or the same length as the original piece?

How

long are the two "new" pieces of string?

Question.

How long is Infinity doubled? How long is Infinity halved?

Scenario 2.

A blob of infinitely large, eternally existing, all powerful, sentient, living matter (imagine lava ), reaches inside itself and pulls out a blob of itself.

How

big is the "new" blob and how long has it existed?

What is the new blob made of?

Could

the two blobs hold a conversation?

Scenario 3

.Whilst in the middle of conversing with one another the second blob jumps back into the first blob.

Could

they continue to converse?

Is there

now one blob or two?

Scenario 4.

x =1 blob, x + x + x = 3blobs, 3x = 3 blobs.

Complete the following, where x = 1 infinitely large blob.

x

= ? x + x + x = ? 3x = ?

Question

When can 3 x 1 = 1 ? Is it when 1 is infinitely large?

Scenario 5.

You are talking to the firstinfinitely large, eternal, living , sentient and all powerful blob.

If

you asked it what its FIRST thought was, what would be its reply?

Is it possible

for an eternal being to have ALWAYS been thinking?

If

you asked the same being what the FIRST thing it ever DID was, what would be its reply?

Would it be possible

for it to reply "I have ALWAYS been active"?

Question.

Can an eternal being perform an action in Eternity?

Could it say "there has never been a time when I did not do that"?

Scenario 6.

The first blob is called Blob THEFATHER. The second blob is called THE SON of Blob . You ask Blob THE FATHER how the second blob THE SON of Blob came to be. Blob THE FATHER says that he reached inside himself and pulled out the second blob, THE SON of Blob . You ask Blob THE FATHERwhen he did this. Blob THEFATHER replies that he has always done this and there has never been a time when he had not reached inside himself and pulled out THE SON of Blob. It is an action he performed in Eternity.Blob THE FATHER says that blob no.2 is his ONLY BEGOTTON SON of Blob because he didnt create him but he "fathered" or "begot" him from himself .

Scenario 7.

The matter (like lava ) which makes up the blobs is called GOD.

The first blob tells you that the true description of itself is

GOD THEFATHER. The second blob is also of the matter called GOD. The second blob is properly called GODTHE SON . You ask the two blobs who the boss is. "I am" answers THE FATHER . "So you must be in subjection" you say to THE SON . "That is correct" he replies. "But I thought you were both equal" you wonder aloud. "We are" say both THE FATHER and THE SON in unison. "We are both GOD ".

What is

GOD?

Is the "person" called THE FATHER,

GOD?

The "person" called

THE SON - is he GOD

Is

THE FATHEReternal?

Is

THE SONeternal?

Who existed first?

How many "persons" are there?

Is the

FATHER the same "person" as the SON ?

Are they both

GOD?

Do they have different roles or positions in their relationship?

Who is the

head of the relationship?

What is

THE SONS position?

How are they

EQUAL?

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    We don't create newness. Nothing is new. Nothing. Everything we do has already been done, in some form or another. Everything is vanity and striving after wind. You can quote me.

Isn't that "Hobs theory" ---something like there is no such thing as a new thought or idea

Very interesting indeed. this whole thread has been very interesting to say the least.

I have always been fascinated by paradoxical theories.

• proplog2
    proplog2

With God "NOTHING" is possible.

• 13th_apostate
    13th_apostate

pubsinger: love the blob story. simplifies a complicated idea. and still has me thinking about it.

will

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello again 13th,

You said:

jst2laws: interesting comments. IMO if the bible was more a guide to coping with our own existence rather than gods then it still fails as it has been used to justify atrocious behavior throughout history

I agree, the Bible HAS been used to justify atrocious behavior. It is a shame. However the key is as you said the Bible has been USED for this justification. Typical of this is the WT picking out of the Hebrew scriptures old rules and precedents to justify their harsh treatment of people. The entire Hebrew experience was for the purpose, as Paul said, of 'making sins manifest' and screams at modern readers to recognize this way doesn't work.

It has been used to justify atrocities, by fundamentalist, sadist and bloodthirsty religionist. Is this a failure on the part of the Bible? It is there to use properly for those who want to do so, and to their great benefit.

Jst2laws

• Satanus
    Satanus

Teejay

Have you ever thought what it would be like explaining colors to a blind person? Kind of pointless, don't you think?

SS

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

What was god doing before he did anything? Simple. Nothing. Just what he's been doing ever since then.

Sorry folks. As much as I loved the comments from Francois, Jesus and Satan (so cool that you two decided to participate!!), I must let you all down. There is no god. It's just the remnant of all those mythologies we needed when humans were afraid of thunder. Aren't you glad we've grown up?

S4

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

What the hell? Dad doesn't exist? Great. Just great. Now who's going to be doing the juggeling poodle show tomarrow at the fair?

Shit.....................

• TR
    TR

Jesus,

I saw a dude at the waterfront in Victoria juggling flaming sticks. Maybe you could hire him. Maybe he'll set the poodles on fire and juggle them.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit