what did god do before he did anything?

by sleepy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I remmember the idea that god has been around forever, to be a bit confusing as a witness.

Does this really make sense?

heres two reason why it doesn't.

1.What was the first thing god did?

So what did he do before that?

So either it wasn't the first thing , if there is not a first thing god did see point 2,or god had a begining

2.If you have been around since infinate time in the past , there would always be infinity untill now, so we would never get to this point in time.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The problem of eternity is a conundrum, and not just for JW's.

I asked your question this way: Since God has been around forever, why didn't he create us sooner?

From a scientific viewpoint, one might ask "what is time?" When did time start? It's known that time warps in reaction to forces in outer space (such as gravity). So does God have control of time, just as a man holding a stop watch might?

Is time from our viewpoint different from the way a heavenly being (such as a god) might view it?

< slinking away anticipating a barrage of answers >

• Undecided
    Undecided

This is the only concept that the human mind cannot comprehend, that I know. Well maybe another one, for me at least, is that the group of men called the GB is a loving, careing, group of God directed men.

Ken P.

• ve9gra
    ve9gra

Maybe it was the first thing he did from our standpoint....

Maybe we're not the first batch... we're just another experiment....

Maybe this is just history repeating itself.....

Kinda sounds like the Raelians...

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

He spent large amounts of time in an exclusive celestial nudist colony.

• Francois
    Francois

I don't think the human mind is capable of comprehending either eternity or infinity, thus it's not likely we can comprehend immortality, either.

But what small amount I do comprehend of any of the above concepts leads me immediately to conclude that an eternity spent in an immortal, perfect existence on THIS PLANET, this dust mote, orbiting an unremarkable star, in the spiral arm of a galaxy utterly no different than millions just like it would JUST NOT CUT IT. When our sun goes red giant in, oh, say, seven billion years, then some kinda arrangement's gotta be made by somebody to get our asses off of here and to somewhere else. That's another problem with immortality on this planet. (NO, I don't think God violates his own laws, so NO, he's not going to intefere with the sun's functioning or any other physical laws.)

The main problem in my mind would be boredom. And quick. Life everlasting on a paradise earth? No thanks, even if I could pick the government. And what kind of government would be needed for perfect individuals? NO government, that's what kind of government.

I don't think the WTBTS has stopped to consider the implications of a perfect life on a perfect planet that goes on forever. Ice cream every day gets boring after awhile, as does steak. And I don't care how good looking a given woman is, how talented in bed, how beautiful and charming of personality, how skilled of intellect - there's some guy somewhere who's tired of putting up with her shit...in a short life!

I don't have the slightest idea of what God did before he did the first thing. Don't care. But I do think that conceiving of eternity as a straight line through infinity is likely in error. I don't know why I think this, call it intuition, but for some reason I conceive of eternity as an ellipse.

This is a great topic. I hope it goes on...well,....forever.

-francois

Edited by - Francois on 31 July 2002 9:59:3

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I don't have the slightest idea of what God did before he did the first thing. Don't care. But I do think that conceiving of eternity as a straight line through infinity is likely in error.

Right on the money, Frank!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I once had a fellow ask me if God could do anything. When I replied that he could, he then asked, "can God create an object which is heavier than He (God) can lift??? Good question.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

He drank beer,played english billiards,and ate roast dub sandwich`s.Finally he got tired of all this and decided to start a band.Now he drinks beer,plays english billiards,eats roast dub sandwich`s,and tours the gallaxey`s with his band.It`s true!! I`ve got the"Don`t let the Dubs get away with this! GOD on TOUR 2002 "T-shirt..LOL...OUTLAW

• Dawn
    Dawn

So what did god do before us? Probably the same things we did before we had our kids:

(1) Wonder why our friends with kids had such messy refrigerators

(2) Sleep in on the weekends

(3) Walk around the house naked

(4) Talk about how much better our kids would behave than everyone else's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit