Abortion VS Child Molestation

by StinkyPantz 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I just wanted to know what others thought about this Archbishop's comment. He said that abortion was a bigger sin than child molestation. Do you agree or disagree and why?

Pell pedophile comment slammed
    July 29, 2002

A CHILD protection advocate has called for a royal commission into sexual abuse in the Catholic Church following reports that Archbishop George Pell described it as less of a crime than abortion.

According to Canada's national Globe and Mail newspaper, Dr Pell made the comments to 500 young Roman Catholic delegates at a World Youth Day forum .

Dr Pell's office in Sydney today refused to comment on the report, saying it would wait until he returned at the end of the week.

It was reported Dr Pell made the comments in response to a question from an American youth minister, who wanted to know what Catholics should say when someone asked them about the sex scandal afflicting the church in the United States.

The paper said Dr Pell told his audience that abortion was a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people.

When asked to clarify he said: "Because it's (abortion) always a destruction of human life," the paper reported.

Dr Pell said he was not trying to downplay abuse, but the issue had received a lot of attention to the detriment of other matters, the paper said.

Sydney-based child protection advocate Hetty Johnston said the comments were astonishing and outrageous and a royal commission must be established to fully expose just how endemic the problem was.

"According to the view of George Pell, and in effect the Catholic Church, it's not OK to harm a child in the womb but it's not so bad if you harm a child outside it," Ms Johnston, who runs victim support network Bravehearts, said today.

"It's so disappointing that with everything that's happened over the last 12 months, it appears that the (Catholic Church) leaders still don't get it."

Ms Johnston said the church, which purports to be society's moral leader, continued to ignore the "incredible trauma" being afflicted on children.

Most Catholic parishioners would be as distraught as child protection advocates to hear Dr Pell's comments and it was time for the church to do something about it, she said.

"We know it's expensive, we know that the sector needs money to help children but we need a royal commission to expose the truth."

Pope John Paul, also in Canada for World Youth Day, said the sexual abuse scandals rocking his church caused "a deep sense of sadness and shame", but he urged Catholic youth to support most priests who do good.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

All I know is you have just put a bomb in play.

Get ready for a war.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Thanks for the warning Biggy!!

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Gee, Stink Pantz.

It's been 15 minutes and no real responses yet.

I'll get it started.

I think that in both instances that the child has no chioce in the matter. The child is innocent. The only difference is the unborn child doesn't live with the pain everyday (it's dead) and the molested child does. I am saddened by both acts.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

*Stepping on lots of eggshells*

Well 1st you have the question of when does 'life' begin or what is 'alive' [sees the rocks being thrown]

I sounds to me like the Bishop is just trying to sidestep the issue.

• willy_think
    willy_think

I think he was saying it is worse to stick a pair of scissors into the brain of children then it is to rape him/her. He wasn't talking to priest who might abuse children, he was talking to children who might have an abortion, trying to tell them how very evil the murderous act of abortion is. Murdering is worse then harming, notice the quote:

"According to the view of George Pell, and in effect the Catholic Church, it's not OK to harm a child in the womb but it's not so bad if you harm a child outside it," Ms Johnston, who runs victim support network Bravehearts, said today.
    the word harm is substituted for the kill or murder in the first part of the sentence and substuited for molest or sexually abused in the later half, assigning the same value to each.

I believe that a man who kills 5 kids is worse then a man who molests 5 kids, not by much same ballpark, both should be kept separate form society till they die.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

The paper said Dr Pell told his audience that abortion was a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people.

and

"According to the view of George Pell, and in effect the Catholic Church, it's not OK to harm a child in the womb but it's not so bad if you harm a child outside it,"

Sickening.

Seems to me this ArchDICKHEAD is simply trying to deter the media attention brought down upon the Catholic Church because SO many so-called "men of God" are HORRENDOUSLY MOLESTING CHILDREN. According to his statements, that action is not as bad... <gag>

Even more alarming is this man holds a position of high authority within that Church, for an Archbishop oversees several priests.

Fuck him, and fuck the Catholic Church too. I hold ALL organized religion in contempt.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

hmmmm I leave this one alone.............................................................should have in the first place

• Valis
    Valis

Not so much a bomb from the Pope's standpoint. If we follow Catholic logic, life itself is more important for that person VS what happens to them at the hand of another after they are born good Catholics.. The murder or death implied by abortion, I think has been lumped in w/the commandment, "thou shalt not kill" and is hard to place in the context of the Catholic idea of cardinal or capitol sin. Another important component to this conversation is discussed in a brief essay found below.It explains a little of the historic aspect of the evolution of the concept of sin, which I'm not even gonna get into.

http://theosophy.org/tlodocs/SevenDeadlySins-2.htm

http://www.rushman.org/seven/index.html

Strangely enough, child molestation can also be lumped in to the cardinal sins under Lust, and actually more clearly defined under the concept of Deadly Sins, whereas abortion is a rather new phenomenon in our world, and has only recently, as abortions have been legalized and become readily available, put the Catholics to task in assigning it a place on the sin scale. Please feel free to publicly rebuke if I have misrepresented facts...as most of this is just my conception of it all anyway....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LB
    LB

Catholics rate sins. Mortal, venial (sp), original. So I guess he puts molestation at a lower level. Pretty bad.

A sin is a sin. But harming a child is as bad as it gets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit