Need Help with a Scripture...

by mikepence 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mikepence
    mikepence

Would someone be kind enough to post the complete text of the scripture where Jesus says 'to the extent that you...the least of these, my children...'

Thanks,
    Mike

• frogit
    frogit

Hope this helps

Matthew 25:41-46

41 Then he will say, in turn, to those on his left, Be on YOUR way from me, YOU who have been cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels. 42 For I became hungry, but YOU gave me nothing to eat, and I got thirsty, but YOU gave me nothing to drink. 43 I was a stranger, but YOU did not receive me hospitably; naked, but YOU did not clothe me; sick and in prison, but YOU did not look after me. 44 Then they also will answer with the words, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not minister to you? 45 Then he will answer them with the words, Truly I say to YOU , To the extent that YOU did not do it to one of these least ones, YOU did not do it to me. 46 And these will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.

• willy_think
    willy_think

RSV
    Matthew 25:31-46
    31 "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' 40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44 Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' 45 Then he will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
  • metatron
    metatron

Congratulations for picking possibly the most hideously twisted
    scripture in the whole Watchtower collection of error.

They take a text that commends charity and compassion
    and turn it into a pretext for cult obedience.

metatron

• mikepence
    mikepence

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Mike

• Bang
    Bang

They take a text that commends charity and compassion
    and turn it into a pretext for cult obedience.

How do they view that passage?

Bang

• kat7302
    kat7302

sorry guys, the only scripture I remember off by heart is Jeremiah 5v8 - that will never leave me. I dont have a bible in the house and havent looked at one in 10 years so think yourselves lucky I even remember this one!

• Carmel
    Carmel

HOw much of this is metaphorical and how much is literal? Ain't scripture fun...

carm

• blondie
    blondie

For future research and if you don't have a WT-CD or want to see what other translations say, try this site:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

Searchable by word(s) or book and verse.

• DJ
    DJ

Re: Need Help with a Scripture

Bang,

Recently, I brought up the issue of Jesus as mediator with my jw mom. She believed that HE was her mediator. I showed her that the WT teaches that Jesus only mediates for the 144,000. She was shocked and she brought her concern to the attention of the elders, of course. As I figured, she bought everything they said to her. (although, in her heart I think she questions, now) She told me that the 144,00 are the people spoken of in the verses above........THEY are the hungry and thirsty little ones!!!!! She said that when her or one of the members (great crowd) do the bidding of the 144,000.......they are actually doing this for Christ. I was shell shocked and about all I could get out of my mouth was," Oh come on Ma, you don't buy that do you?" "When in the heck are they ever hungry or thirsty???" What NERVE!!!!!!!!!!! How long has this been their teaching. I feel sick when I think about it!

This past week-end was the convention in Philadelphia. My family went, except for my dad who is suffering from a brain tumor (he is a dub) I stayed with him while they went and did their duty....The CO was supposedly getting my family and air-conditioned box to view the dubdom from. The convention is in an outdoor stadium.......It was in the 90's here and very humid...gross actually........The CO couldn't get the box, so my elderly mother and siblings sat thru those 3 days sweating. My father chose not to go! This leads to to the question.........who gets those a/c boxes anyway??????? you guessed it .....the elect! Can anyone picture Jesus subjecting his followers to such heat while he sat in air conditioning???? Makes me sick............................................DJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit