boomboom car stereos...

by DanTheMan 50 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I live in Klumbus Ohio, in a neighborhood that ain't Da Hood but it ain't the 'burbs either.

It seems that if you are a male under 25 in my area and you don't have a 10,000 watt car stereo that shakes the whole neighborhood, well, you're NOTHING.

I don't get hip-hop culture. I think that it is a screaming commentary on the cultural rot in the USA.

Could someone comfort me or help explain the appeal of this pervasive sub-culture? The depravity of it all makes me feel so hopeless sometimes.

Maybe I'm a little too narrowly caucasian in my outlook.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I know exactly what you mean Dantheman, except here it's young Chinese guys in flourescent Honda Civics sitting about 2.5mm off the ground. The other night it was so loud that I thought the stuffed pheasant in my den had received a miraculous resurrection, it was vibrating so much.

One day I'm going to drive around in my Camry, windows down, with Beethoven's ninth at FULL volume! Teach the little wanks some culture.

Expatbrit

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

I hear ya. I don't get it either. For me, it isn't so much the "music" ...if you can call it that...as a matter of fact it could be any music from absolutely ANY genre. What annoys me is the sheer arrogance that these little punks think that I (and everyone within 6 city blocks) want to be serenaded. What is even more comical, is when you know the stereo system is worth more than the entire vehicle...now there's a case of screwy priorities.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I find noise from those cars that can be felt a block away, or from inside my house extremely irritating. Why should everyone in the block be subjected to one kids tastes?

SS

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

So true, Kist. First time I heard one coming down the street, maybe 2 miles away, I thought maybe Mt St Helens was erupting again. If they area ctually playing music, who can tell with a boom tiddy boom boom going on?

By the time these kids hit their mid twenties, they will be deaf.

Lew W

Watchtower Decruit

• jack2
    jack2

Dakota, you made an excellent point.....hearing damage will be an inevitable by-product of such a habit.

I can see, as most of us likely can, having a good-sounding car stereo system that might even have a little kick to it, but what I hear emanating from some cars is absolutely unreal.

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Dakota...I agree. Somehow, they don't realize they're not as cool as they think they are. Get this: when I was looking for commercial space to lease ...I was waiting for the leasing agent to show up for our appointment. Well, an employee from Blockbuster's (next door to where I was looking)...comes out on her break and opens the doors to her car and cranks up the "tunes" Pretty soon, I'm hearing clear as can be...Mother F, REPEATEDLY! The leasing agent pulls up...she turned beat red, apologized to me and promised me that Blockbuster would be recieving a call right away. I guess someone at Blockbuster forgot to remind this gal (at least 22-23 years old) that it isn't good for public relations/sales to offend everyone within earshot and with kids...Then again some things are simple common courtesy. Guess it isn't as common as it used to be!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Kist, common courtesy as well as good manners, seem to be of a bygone era. When I was younger, any man that said the F word in front of any woman caught it from all other men. Any sort of cussing was a definite no no. Now, it is the girls who have just as foul language in public.

About the hearing, I know that all too well. Although I don't require a hearing aid, I have lost some of my hearing due to too many years around helicopters without hearing protection and working on cars with all the air tools and such. Mostly, it is the higher pitches I can't hear, so not too bad. But, these kids don't realize that the music they now enjoy, they will no longer be able to hear.

Many communities also have noise ordinances. Too bad they won't enforce them.

Lew W

Watchtower Decruit

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

the other day I'm in the grocery and I come out and notice mom with two little kids getting ready to unload the groceries into her car.

"Hey wait! Maybe some profane rap turned up to ear-splitting volume would make the experience of loading my groceries so much more enjoyable...and certainly all these other people in the parking lot would benefit also!" she thinks to herself. So she starts up the car, turns up the booms, and only then proceeds to load the groceries.

I just don't get it. PLEASE, would a boomboom car stereo apologist please help me here? God, I hope it's a fad like 80's hair bands.

• Xandria
    Xandria

I guess that explains why mom's think their teenagers don't hear them... b/c they don't they have gone deaf from the music cranked up to 5 hundred thousand mega hertz.

That is why I insist ( ok nag) at my husband (when he is called to do production work) for him to wear ear plugs. Especially if he is going to be near those huge speakers and speaker rigging. The sound that is cranked out of those.. you can literally feel the sound waves come off that thing. The right tone can make your body shake and your heart hurt. That is why people aren't seated by them.. because too close it can give someone with a bad heart a attack.

Years of that can cause severe hearing loss.

Xandria

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit