Funeral Discourse

by messenger 12 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)

Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth

By whom the deceased is survived

Dedication record, including privileges of service

Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED

Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power.

Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12 )

Appreciated God's purpose regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)

Soon to be realized (Isa. 11;9; 55:10; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die

Disobedience of Adam (Gen, 3;19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)

Offspring inherited death (Rom. )

Condition of the dead

Soul is mortal (Ezek. 18:4, 20)

Dead era unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. ; 9:5, 10)

The resurrection hope

Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28 )

Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22 , 23)

God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)

For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor.15:51-5 4; Rev. 20:4, 6)

"Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10;16) Armageddon Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon

Others too are in line for r esurrection (Acts 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING

Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual

Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12;Eccl. 7:2)

Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)

Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:1.9-21)

One way is to take zealous part: in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)

In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name (Prov. 27:11)

Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will (1 Cor.15:58 )

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this respect. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such an Job 14;14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:54b-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

Are you comforted?

Edited by - messenger on 24 July 2002 11:57:51

Edited by - messenger on 24 July 2002 11:59:2

• kat7302
    kat7302

its too much

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

That's awful.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

in short....

We are sad that so and so died. They were good because they went door to door. They leave behind 3 children and one spouse.

If you would like to see this dead person again, make sure you go door to door and come to all our meetings. This is the only hope for you and them.

Makes

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

in short....
    We are sad that so and so died. They were good because they went door to door a lot. 
    They leave behind 3 children and one spouse.
    If you would like to see this dead person again, make sure you go door to door and come to all
    of our meetings.
    This is the only hope for you and them. 

Makes me sick
  • YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)

If qualified according to who? The elders? The GB?

This is supposed to be encouraging to people?

Again, that shameless, judgemental attitude comes shinning trough in this discourse outline.

No one is worthy of life after death unless they are "qualified" sure, and who has

qualified the WTS and the GB to say this? That's ok, that's another thread.

YoursChelbie

• frogit
    frogit

I just wrote my own funeral arrangements, I suggest that you all do it now, and give it to someone you know/trust who will follows it to there best.

I hope to live much longer and find new friends, and maybe someone to share love with. I decide not to have any prayers, and definitely no preaching or the giving of a witness, its my memorial (they can use the door to door misery for that, but not my funeral).

My children can pick any songs they wish, (I hope its not Postman Pat) I have asked friends to prepare a few words about all that I loved in life, and have a friend sing the beautiful Pie Jesu (From Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem).

At the crematorium the Monkeys Day Dream Believer will be played, as a kids my brother and me used to love the Monkeys TV show.

My memorial is to a celebration of the all that I loved, so after there will be plenty of the best wines for all to enjoy, and they can laugh at all the things I laughed at.

Frogit

• DJ
    DJ

Re: Funeral Discourse

Hi Messenger,

Would you please let me know where that came from? Is it actually WTS procedure? I need to know because my father is very ill and he is a jw. I've been curious about what a dub funeral is like. I'm not even sure if I would go or not. I love my Pop dearly, but if I have to hear a sales pitch, I may think twice.

Thanks, DJ

• scumrat
    scumrat

The *sshole is probably counting his time for all the non jw's present.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this respect. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved.

Translation: We could give a fuck about the person who just died. What we want to do is exploit his/her death and turn the funeral procession into a marketing ploy for the religion because people who are worldly will likely attend out of respect and with this message perhaps we can garner their attention. The purpose of the talk is not even to honor the person who died, it is about a God only 6 million people worldwide believe in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit