Tsongas Center Lowell MA, Sunday Session of the Regional Convention 2015

by oppostate 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate

We're breaking up the Regional Convention event by going each of the days to a different weekend session.

The Tsongas Center Lowell MA was a bit hard to find, we got lost and got there after the first song and prayer (just in time for the first talk)! We ran into so many from our home congregation who aren't even assigned to this RC!

I think it's quite common for publishers now to break up the convention weekend and attend at times when their congregation isn't assigned.

Some families (3) were attending this particular Convention so as to meet up with family members who are in another part of the Region. Others just because they wanted to check out the fresh meat on display in the concourse hallway during the lunch break. (Yup, I know, I was a hormone crazed youngster myself back in the day.) And were staying with friends outside their home circuits.

The total attendance was laughable for a Sunday session 3,582. I turned to my wife and said "We must be the two in that figure" since we arrived so late. Actually there was more than one count in the afternoon. I know that if the day's chairman or another bigwig doesn't think the figure is high enough there's another count taken, usually it is higher, and attendants are told to count people who are not in their seats but in the hallways for quite an extended time, and to count the empty seat if they saw someone get up during the count, that had previously been sitting there in the audience and there were books or bags still there at the seat.

This means that people getting to the bathrooms may be counted when sitting, when walking "to" the bathroom and then counted again when returning "from" the bathrooms--this includes cleaning volunteers and those who just wanted to stretch their legs, or meet up with a love interest, or to pacify a crying or squirmy infant who's had way too much sitting time. And of course there are those sad brothers and sisters who are assigned to go into the smelly bathrooms to count those "present" there. So double, triple and quadruple counting some attendees for higher figures' sake.

I was attendant overseer in Hallways for a number of years in my District, I know what goes on. (So, yeah, they have their tricks to increase attendance figures without an obvious crisis of conscience hitting them while doing so ;-)

I missed the baptism figure. I was cruising the hallways and ran into more people from our local congregation--those not assigned there--and we were chatting so I missed the previous day's baptism figures. I'll have to ask my wife and see how these measure up with past conventions.

Overall it was an easy Convention day to get through. I was either napping, promenading to the bathrooms, or chatting through most talks and videos in the concourse hallway. I complained to my wife that the box of raisins I snacked on while driving to the Tsongas Center made it "difficult" to sit through the program. (I know, TMI.) But there was more sh¡t coming from the stage than getting flushed down the toilets--just saying!

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

But there was more sh¡t coming from the stage than getting flushed down the toilets--just saying!

lmao!

just saying

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Attendance of only 3582 at a DISTRICT/REGIONAL Convention?

How things have changed.

Doc

• millie210
    millie210

Good post oppostate. It sounds like you did a good job of getting through the day.Interesting about how the head count is done.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Thanks for the report. 3582, I wonder how many they were expecting?

According to the arena's website. It can hold 7800.

For concerts and floor events, the Center can seat about 7,800 spectators

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    how did you get lost going there? It's right off the boulevard.
  • Gayle
    Gayle
    Assembly this size is basically 'two' circuits?
  • user100
    user100
    i'll be in the lowell convention this weekend.. we need a special apostate code word/sign so we can talk to each other..
  • minimus
    minimus
    I know the area. Try Bishop's restaurant in downtown Lowell, Great middle eastern food!
  • respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Hopefully the parking situation is better in Lowell than it was in Amherst.

As for the lower attendance numbers, I think it's mostly because there aren't too many hotels that are willing to work with the WTS. I've never been to a DC/RC with more than 5K or so. Most are in the 4K range.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit