Knorr and the Masonic Temple

by Kent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

Knorr and the Masonic Temple
    What went wrong with the masons?

In 1950 they were in favour with the org but by the 70's they were part of B the G.

Who decided and when.

"Presidential Visit to Northern South America"
    VENEZUELA

"Here again another grand reception was accorded Brother Morgan and Brother Knorr. There were about fifty present at the airport. Children carried bouquets of flowers, and a newspaper photographer was there to take a picture, which appeared in the paper the next day, giving notice of the arrival of the speaker who would talk on "Liberty to the Captives", at the Masonic Temple

Another thing that made the local brethren happy was that the newspaper Panorama del Diario published another picture of Brother Knorr, along with his interpreter, speaking at the Masonic Temple."
    (One assumes they paid for this facility)

G74 10/8/28
    "However, in time their experience caused them to think about Jehovah's witnesses. This was because the conduct of the Witnesses impressed them. The man and his wife even told friends and neighbors that they would like to become Jehovah's witnesses, saying: "They all seem so wholesome and so well versed in the Bible." Later, they gladly accepted the offer to study the Bible with Jehovah's witnesses. On the basis of increased Bible knowledge, the man, despite his being a thirty-second degree Mason, severed his connections with the Masonic Lodge and she with the Order of the Eastern Star"

YB71 PP114-115
    "One brother reports that he started a study with a man who was a member of the Masonic Lodge. However, he showed deep interest in study of the Bible, and after just four months of study he wrote the following letter to the secretary of the Lodge:....

"This is the reason for my request to be taken off the list of members of the Masonic Lodge. From now on I am one of Jehovah's witnesses and I will be attending the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's witnesses in order to study more deeply the Bible and be able to bring this knowledge to persons seeking the truth. Yours truly."

Now this man, along with his wife and two daughters, has left Babylon the Great and is preparing to be baptized.

WT 97 12/15/10
    "My studies helped me to see that Jehovah God detests any involvement with spiritism because it can bring one under the influence of Satan and his wicked spirit forces. Would I continue as a member of the Masonic Lodge with all its mysticism, or would I quit and please Jehovah? I chose the latter. I destroyed all the Freemason paraphernalia I had, even the suit I used for Lodge meetings."

So no more presedential talks in masonic lodges I suppose

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I remember as a child, we regularly attended Circuit Assemblies in Masonic Lodges. Pretty spartan, from what I remember, but large. In those days there were no assembly Halls of course, and large meeting halls were in short supply.

interesting to think whether if the circumstances were repeated, whether the brothers would hire those Lodges again.

Ozzie (who wonders whether history repeats itself)

• ianao
    ianao
    On the basis of increased Bible knowledge, the man, despite his being a thirty-second degree Mason, severed his connections with the Masonic Lodge and she with the Order of the Eastern Star"

I find it very interesting (if not dubious) that a 32nd deg. traditional mason would sever ties with the masonic lodge due to an 'increase' of Bible knowledge that he should have already had as a 32nd deg. Sounds to me like he just decided to throw away his 'knowledge' for a 'belief-system', either that or the 32nd deg title was a fabrication, or the title 'Mason' was erroneously applied to freemasons.

I destroyed all the Freemason paraphernalia I had, even the suit I used for Lodge meetings.

This one I understand, as "Freemasonry" is the accepted masonry (Bible based) and is more comparable to orthodox protestant churches. Most followers of the accepted order also attend the same churches that other xtians do. Doesn't surprise me that a freemason would give it up, as a freemason is not much different from your standard run-of-the-mill protestant. Would be the same as converting a Moravian to a JW.

Interesting post Ozzie.

• larc
    larc

Ianio,

On a side note, are the Moravians still around? I don't know anything about them today. I know that they migrated to Ohio in the pioneer days and set up a town called Shoenbrun, which in German means beautiful spring. They converted a group of Indians to Christianity. Later, soldiers came from Pennslyvannia and slaughtered the Christian Indians. The "pagan" Indians were so outraged that they pursued the soldiers for 200 miles, overwhelmed them, and slowly tortured the general in charge. If the Indians were "savages", they had every reason to be such.

This has nothing to do withi anything that is being discussed here. I was just curious if you knew this or anything else about this group.

• JAVA
    JAVA

The Masons rent their temples out to groups all the time as a way of earning extra income. The Dayton, Ohio Masonic Temple is awesome for school graduations and the like. They just don't build structures like these anymore.

However, I wonder if the Tower ever rented buildings from other religious organizations besides the Masons? Did anyone reading this attend JW assemblies held in other religious buildings?

--JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 13 March 2001 13:38:49

• ianao
    ianao

Hey larc.

Moravians are alive and kicking here in NC, USA. I live close to several families of them.

From what I can tell, they have "multiplied".

I also have several Moravian churches around my community here (2-3 of them).

Judge for yourself. The Moravians that I know sure show their German heretage though! ;)

• larc
    larc

Ianio,

Thanks for the info. Where abouts in NC do you live? My grand father was born in the Greenville area.

JAVA,

Good to see you back! You know, I have counseled you many times that you should not let your job or your family life hinder your posting time with us. You must get your priorities straight.

On a more serious subject, I put up a thread about the Ohio Amish that I think you will find to be very revealing.

• ianao
    ianao

larc:

Piedmont-Triad area.

JAVA: (Hello again, BTW)

The Manons rent their temples out to groups all the time as a way of earning extra income.

What the heck is a Manon? (j/k)

• JAVA
    JAVA

ianao,

What the heck is a Manon? (j/k)

I just put that in to see if you were paying attention. The fact is I'm dyslexic (no kidding) so you might find all kinds of interesting words coming from my posts. I'm really not trying to start a new religion when saying, "I believe in dog."

larc,

I have counseled you many times that you should not let your job or your family life hinder your posting time with us. You must get your priorities straight.

Thanks for the encouragement, Brother larc. I'm giving up job and family for Lent, and am fasting on chocolate and beer for 40 days. I'll take a look at the Ohio Amish thread; thanks for the info.

--JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

• ianao
    ianao

JAVA:

Sorry about the manon comment. (I didn't know).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit