Always Late?

by Norm 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Norm
    Norm

Always late

One of the Watchtower Society favorite themes is how incredibly ”late” it is. It is in fact always “Later than you think”. The problem is that most of the people who believe how “late” it always is, seem to completely lack the ability to do much thinking.

Have those present at a series of assemblies held in 1949 experienced any truth in the “public address held with the title: “It Is Later than You Think”?

*** w52 1/15 59 Assemblies in Frankfurt, Berlin, St. John's ***
    After a dinner at the Berlin office, Brother Knorr and his companions went to the Woodland Stage, where at the district assembly July 29-31, 1949, a Resolution challenging and protesting to the Communist authorities of East Germany was adopted by 17,232 witnesses, this being followed by a public address by the German branch servant on “It Is Later than You Think” to 33,657 hearers.

Those present back then who is still alive will of course have to conclude that it wasn’t at all that “late”, why? Because they are still here 51 years later, and the speaker was of course talking trough his hat, spouting the usual Jehovah's Witness nonsense.

Have the Watchtower Society learned anything from this? Of course not! In 1968 it was time again. It was “Later than you think” time again:

*** g97 1/22 24 "When I Am Weak, Then I Am Powerful" ***
    The Witness who brought the magazines had been coming by for about a year, but my routine did not change until I finally read the October 8, 1968, issue of Awake!, entitled “Is It Later Than You Think?” I liked what I read, and happily, it affected my husband in the same way. We began studying and absorbing the truth like sponges. We couldn’t get enough of all the wonderful things we were learning. In 1969 we were baptized.

They say that there is a sucker born every minute, and here we can read about at least two of them. Maybe they should have changed the heading to “When I am weak in the head, etc.”
    Anyway, this was 32 years ago and hopefully these idiots have found out by now that it wasn’t at all as “late” as the Awake!, was “thinking”. As usual it turned out to be sheer nonsense. Now, have they learned anything from it? Of course not, in 1991 it is “Later Than You Think” time yet again:

*** w91 4/1 7 Is It Later Than You Think? ***
    The Jerusalem of Jeremiah’s day was warned of its coming destruction; its inhabitants only scoffed, but it was later than they thought. Today, a much greater warning of Armageddon’s destruction is being sounded, with overwhelming supporting evidence. (Revelation 14:6, 7, 17-20) Millions turn a deaf ear. But time is running out; it is later than they think. Is it later than you think?

If this mindless idiocy continues, there will probably be a Watchtower issue with the same title 50 years from now, because superstition seems to be hard to get rid of. Come to think of it, the magazines have so many more ways of being useful. This lady used the Watchtower for insomnia, which is great. I have tried it myself, pick up a Watchtower/Awake!, and you will be fast asleep after the first 5 sentences:

*** yb70 225-6 Country Reports (Part Two) ***
    The Watchtower and Awake! magazines have played a big role in spreading the good news of the established Kingdom. The special issue of Awake! on the theme “Is It Later than You Think?” was left with a Catholic lady in an outlying area of the territory. This lady was very difficult to contact during the winter months because of impassable roads. So three months elapsed before another contact was made. In the meantime what was happening? The lady read this special issue of Awake! over and over again, keeping it by her bedside so she could read it before going to sleep.

It is quite clear that the Watchtower Society have great problems with the subject of something being “late”. But the word “late” isn’t the only one in the Watchtower vocabulary, which they don’t seem to understand; they have exactly the same problem with the word “soon”. In 1950, the end was of course coming “soon”

*** w50 7/1 203 The Real Feast of Ingathering Under Way ***
    Reports coming from various parts of the world prove that the work of the anointed remnant is expanding and that the multitude of the Lord’s other sheep are hearing the message and coming to the only place of safety on earth today, that is, the Lord’s organization; and happy is the man that has a part in this great work that will soon end to the glory of Jehovah and the blessing of all that take their stand on his side.

*** w50 7/1 203 The Real Feast of Ingathering Under Way ***
    27 We have now reached the time of the end, that is, the consummation of this old system of things, and there is much work to be done before the storm of Armageddon breaks to destroy Satan’s wicked organization that has so long reproached the name of Jehovah and persecuted all that took their stand on his side of the great controversy.

In 1997, the same end would still come “soon”:

*** w97 5/15 19-20 Theocratic Administration in the Christian Era ***
    The events foretold in Jesus’ great prophecy about “the time of the end” have been coming to pass since 1914, showing that the destruction of this world is near. (Daniel 12:4; Matthew 24:3-14; Mark 13:4-20; Luke 21:7-24) Soon, Jehovah will usher in a new world in which ‘the generation to come’ will ‘inherit the kingdom [the earthly realm] prepared for them from the founding of the world.’

Of course this endless folly is only natural. You can’t expect people who wait for something that was promised to happen “soon” 2000 years ago, to have any meaningful understanding of the very word soon. So the comedy/tragedy continues in the Watchtower where the end will be coming “soon” for many years yet. One thing is really certain though, when the Watchtower Society says “It Is Later Than You Think” it is always wrong, unless of course it might be later than they think for the Watchtower Society itself.

Norm.

Edited by - Norm on 13 March 2001 2:45:49

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Nice post Norm

With it being so late at the moment, 11:45pm I think I will be going to bed very soon. At least that is a prediction I can count on.

Edited by - Scorpion on 13 March 2001 2:50:25

Edited by - SCorpion on 13 March 2001 2:51:52

• Latte
    Latte

Norm,

Good post. It is a subject close to my heart, it is so wrong to keep people in such an expectant state.........so dissapointing:(

No wonder JW's are getting depressed.

Psalms 13v12
    ***** Expectation postponed is making the heart sick,******

Latte

Edited by - Latte on 13 March 2001 4:59:26

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks for highlighting this, Norm.

Seems to me that The TWs, along with other endtimers abuse the position described by the apostles in quoting Jesus.

For example, John, on the Isle of Patmos and needeing encouragement, receives the Revelation. The Lord said to him, amongst other things,: "Behold, I am coming soon!" (Rev 22:7) What was meant by the expression "soon"? Notice that Jesus uses the same expression to the congregation in Pergamum:"I will soon come to you" (2:16), and to the congregation at Philadelphia: "I am coming soon" (3:11).

The W/T Society have transferred the application of these sayings to the time since 1914, but the question should be, Why? These expressions were spoken to those actually receiving Christ's words in the first century. So when Jesus said to John that he was coming soon, we may say He is still coming soon. And when he does, every eye will see him. Could it be then that the date of 1914 is immaterial to the coming "soon"?

Ozzie

• ICHING
    ICHING

But Norm,

we're surprised that in your towering intellectual, insightful & literary post you've failed to understand some very basic fundamentals:

it's gets a tad difficult to dangle the carrot before the donkey if there's no carrot - nor easy to enjoy the golden egg when you kill the goose that lays it.

put yourself in our shoes for a moment - we've got a global book publishing/real estate conglomerate - an all expenses paid life on easy street - and power over a worldwide organisation of literally millions of volunteer laborer benefactors -

we don't want to lose that now do we?

if our global organisation of volunteer laborer benefactors wants to go on believing these "soon" and "it's later than you think" fabrications which we've blatantly promulgated century after century - for all with eyes to see - to enable us to maintain this power

can you hold us entirely to blame?

ICHING

"The obvious lose, the inscrutable win."

Edited by - iching on 14 March 2001 9:36:26

Edited by - iching on 14 March 2001 9:38:41

Edited by - iching on 14 March 2001 11:54:1

• ICHING
    ICHING

• Norm
    Norm

we're surprised that in your towering intellectual, insightful & literary stature you've failed to understand some very basic fundamentals:

Now where in my post did you find that I do not understand this?

Norm.

• TR
    TR

Good info, Norm. Keep the r&f on their toes with words like "soon" and "late".

Latte,

Expectation postponed is making the heart sick

This is a classic phrase that should be adopted unilaterally by all apposers of the WTS. It describes in a nutshell all of the problems that the WTS causes.

TR

• unanswered
    unanswered

the WT has always told us that it's "later than we think", but since the end still hasn't come and almost every non-questioning jw was taught to believe that it should have come already, it seems obvious that it is "earlier than we think".

great post, norm

• JAVA
    JAVA

Norm,

It looks like the Norwegians have invaded this discussion board. We better hide the liquor keys before Norman and Kent get to the bar.

Any group believing Jesus would return in 1914, and a few years later told Jesus did return, but we just couldn't see it, would buy the Brooklyn Bridge or anything else coming from that end of town. Good post, Norman!

--JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit