Always Late?

by Norm 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ICHING
    ICHING

Norm - on a re-read - my apologies - you're right!!

In the spirit of giving credit where it's due - your posts are true masterpieces - they are not going unappreciated - at least not on this lone screen in cyberspace - keep it flowing.

ICHING

Edited by - iching on 14 March 2001 9:27:43

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Ozziepost,

You said:

Seems to me that The TWs, along with other endtimers abuse the position described by the apostles in quoting Jesus.
    For example, John, on the Isle of Patmos and needeing encouragement, receives the Revelation. The Lord said to him, amongst other things,: "Behold, I am coming soon!" (Rev 22:7) What was meant by the expression "soon"? Notice that Jesus uses the same expression to the congregation in Pergamum:"I will soon come to you" (2:16), and to the congregation at Philadelphia: "I am coming soon" (3:11).
    The W/T Society have transferred the application of these sayings to the time since 1914, but the question should be, Why? These expressions were spoken to those actually receiving Christ's words in the first century. So when Jesus said to John that he was coming soon, we may say He is still coming soon. And when he does, every eye will see him. Could it be then that the date of 1914 is immaterial to the coming "soon"?

Ozzie

Of course we may say he is coming “soon” Ozzie. We also may say the ver same thing 4000 years from now. My point is that if we do that the very word soon has lost it’s meaning completely and can’t be taken serious at all.

Norm.

• Norm
    Norm

Hi there Java,

You said

It looks like the Norwegians have invaded this discussion board. We better hide the liquor keys before Norman and Kent get to the bar.
    Any group believing Jesus would return in 1914, and a few years later told Jesus did return, but we just couldn't see it, would buy the Brooklyn Bridge or anything else coming from that end of town. Good post, Norman!

Well, frankly I didn’t know about this board or I would have been here a long time ago. As for the bar it is only wine and beer for me these days. :-)

I think there would be a chance that we could sell the Eiffel Tower to them too, or maybe some land on Mars, or a plot in the Pleiades.

Norman

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Norm,

Thanks for clearing up the point. Actually what you said there is exactly what I was agreeing with!!!

"Soon" has lost its meaning - there, I've said it!!! LOL
    Cheers,

Ozzie

• Jackson
    Jackson

Soon has no real meaning for anyone in the WTS. Otherwise it would die a quick death.

• mommy
    mommy

Latte,
    I am sitting here LOL and imagining this scripture as the yearly text. Could you just see all the jw's sitting in their chair listening to the Sunday talk eyes wandering and reading the text above his head? LOL
    Thanks for the visual

***** Expectation postponed is making the heart sick,******

wendy

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

LOL Wen! I'd pay to see the looks on folks faces *grin*

Eyes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit