Road to Perdition

by L_A_Big_Dawg 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• heathen
    heathen

Teejay------ I think I woulda enjoyed a course like that . I am a movie buff big time . I just love to watch good acting and the symbolism used by directors to create a work of art.

Prisca ------- I had no problems keeping up with the story at all . I think movies like minority report are a little confusing as there is so much going on . BTW I really did like minority report and think it deserves a nomination for best flick.

• teejay
    teejay

Finally saw it this evening. I must say that it is my kind of film and wish Hollywood made more like it.

I like movies that show respect for the audience's intelligence the way this one did. Rather than explaining every single thing every step of the way with mindless chit chat, in this movie volumes were spoken through out without a word of dialog. It made you think about what was going on, and without fail the action explained mysteries as it went along.

The cinematography was excellent as well, along with the skillful use of lighting (or lack of) and other elements, like rain and the music score. A dreary subject material filmed very well. I could talk about this movie for a long time. IMO, this is as good a "gangster" movie as I've ever seen.

I give it two very appreciative thumbs up. Glad I bought it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Hey teej, I'm glad you liked it. I thought you might appreciate the lighting and cinematography. Like you, I'm glad they didn't stop down and explain just every little thing. I'm curious, were you surprised at the ending? I've got to admit I was a little. I didn't see it coming, although I guess I should have.

• teejay
    teejay

>>>> I'm curious, were you surprised at the ending?

Nah, BT, I hafta say I saw it coming. I even held up my hand between my face and the screen to soften the emotional blow. Funny how it was so easy to bond with Sullivan.

If I could fault the film on anything, it was that for a seasoned enforcer, Sullivan could be very guilty of mental lapses that you wouldn't expect of a character like him. He eventually paid dearly for not being more thorough, although thru-out the movie there was considerable foreshadowing pointing to its conclusion.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Oh I agree, it's just that by that point in the film, I was completely suckered in. I had, like Sullivan, relaxed because I though the worst was over. It's not often that a film does that to me, I'm usually pretty cynical so I guess that's one reason I appreciate the film so much was that it could sucker me in that way.

• Panda
    Panda

Big Tex was Sullivan really off guard.. I don't know if he could let his guard down, not really? And Jude Law was fantastic! Gosh that movie was excellent. Great continuity etc. I grew up in one of those dark houses. Especially the upstairs hallway. I guess that's why we had so many lamps. The ending was terrific in that really what else could have happened to Sullivan. I mean he did kill people and Jude Law killed people and Paul Newman killed people. So what else could happen? They had to die violently, it was their kharma.

This was a great film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit