Road to Perdition

by L_A_Big_Dawg 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Anyone see this movie?

Curious as to your thoughts. I think it is a strong contender for "Best Movie", "Best Actor" (Tom Hanks) and "Best Supporting Actor" (Paul Newman).

This is the best movie I have seen this year.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

A gangster movie with no killing? Is this Disneyland? ;-)

• Gopher
    Gopher

I saw it too. I would say there's a definite message to it: cherish your life and be glad you're not in a gangster family!!

The movie was very well-done. Way too much killing, but hey it's a gangster movie. Should go without saying that any young children seeing it would be quite traumatized.

Newman and Hanks were great.

Kid: I want my share of the money.

Dad: Ok, how much do you want?

Kid: I'll take $200.

Dad: Ok. (Hands $200 to his son.)

Long pause.

Kid: Could I have had more?

Dad: You'll never know.

• waiting
    waiting

I suppose the following could be consider a SPOILER of sorts - but I rather doubt it.

Best Movie Good. Yes, there was killing - but I don't think this movie was nearly as graphic as Godfather I, II, or III. Or any of the Blade, etc., movies. The violence was part of their lives - it defined who they were, even their wives and children accepted it. Btw, I hate to say this, but the killing was done showing it to be a violent lifestyle....in no way glorifying violence.

Did any of you notice the awesome detail in the movie? Sometimes they don't stay true to the time - this one did, imho. The women's dresses & hairstyles actually looked like my grandmother's. Notice the collar on Paul Newman's shirt vs. Hank's shirt (after he had traveled a couple of days)? The deep, brilliant red lipstick?

The photography was Oscar worthy, imho. The sunshine at the beach dazzled. The darkness of the houses was interesting - as that was what it was like having inefficient electricity (let alone speaking about their lifestyle significance). The garages were great - I remember seeing them with old houses, and how they backed their cars into their garages. Few people seem to do that anymore.

My husband's an old car buff and lovvvvvved the cars. I had to remind him to SHUT UP several times as he told me so much information about EVERY ONE of them. He laughed at the windshield wiper on Hank's car.....it didn't work good. He said that was totally authentic because they were known to not work good.

All in all - great movie.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 23 July 2002 17:34:43

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Good point on the lighting. Did anyone notice the contast in the lighting in the final scene? I don't want to elaborate too much and spoil it for those that haven't seen it.

• waiting
    waiting

oh yeah.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Certainly, visualwise, a beautiful movie. A predictable story but well told. Paul Newman struck me as the best actor in the film.

It will definitely get many Oscar nods, but I thought "Minority Report" was just as good.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I'll have to check out Minority Report...not a big Tom Cruise fan myself. But what the heck

• patio34
    patio34

I just saw the film today and loved it. Tom Hanks played the part sooo well. What I think distinguishes this from other ganster type movies is that: 1) The main characters were likeable and understandable; 2) The violence was not the torture-beat-em-till-they're-dead type. While it was unpleasant to see so many dead bodies, it was at least clean-type executions, not torture.

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

I haven't had the chance to see the movie yet, but I did get to see the beach house first hand. They filmed that part of the movie just south of where I live. The day before they were supposed to tear it down, my wife and I walked down the beach to that house. The crew was gone, but the security guard let us take a tour of the house. It was pretty cool to see, they had removed all the furnishings and decorations by the time we had gotten there, but the frame was still up, and there was this interesting red stain on the wall under the window.

EK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit