Jimmie's or Spinkle's - Which? (WT 10/15/02)

by Mister Biggs 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Question From Reader's.

My husband and I took the kids to the local Dairy Queen. We got into a heated discussion about those little candies (rainbow or chocolate flavored) that you top your ice cream with. I called them Jimmie's and my husband call them Sprinkle's. Which is the proper term to use?

Those colorful bits of candy goodness scattered randomly across your ice cream (or cupcake) are called "sprinkles" in some parts of the world. In other parts of the world, those same tiny examples of the confectioners' art are known as "jimmies."

According to one expert, sprinkles is the original term used. However, the term jimmies apparently originated from the New England (USA) area. Regardless, what is the proper term that a true Christian should use?

A spokesperson for Baskin Robbin's gave this interesting perspective: " 'Jimmies' are the chocolate ones and 'sprinkles' are the rainbow ones." A spokeswoman for Ben & Jerry's agreed: "I agree". However, one dictionary defines jimmies as "tiny rod-shaped bits of usually chocolate-flavored candy often sprinkled on ice cream". They use the term sprinkled in the definition of jimmies. Why should this concern true Christians?

Candyland Crafts (NJ-USA) state on their website that jimmies is the proper term to use. On the other hand, Sugarcraft state on their website that spinkles is the proper term. The result? There is a tug-of-war going on between the term "jimmies" and "sprinkles". As true Christians we want to remain neutral. The only war we want to be concerned about is that of Armageddon. We want to ally ourselves with Jehovah God and His organization on earth today. We want to show respect and loyalty to the "older men" of the congregation. We also don't want to stumble our dear brothers and sisters.

How do you think someone would feel if you referred to the candy as "jimmies" and the person accompanying you to the ice cream shop was endeared to the term "sprinkles"? Would it not be loving to simply refrain from asking for ANY topping on your ice cream? By doing that, we will have averted a possible stumbling of our spiritual sibling. Yes, the wise course of action would be to eat your ice cream (or cupcake) plain. Also, we would want to refrain from talking about (or debating) this issue going forward so as not to cause a division within the congregation.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

LOL---that sure took me back to when I managed an ice cream place---I usually called them "sprinkles" (guess thats just the apostate in me)...the funnie part was that some people that ordered them actually called them "sparklers"---go figure that one.

Spice of the "sprinkles" class

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Sparklers??? LOL! That's funny!

I always called them jimmies (I'm from Philadelphia). My wife (Brooklyn) calls them sprinkles.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Funny!!

Nikita

Of the "Jimmie" class! Husband of the "Sprinkles" class! Daughter of the "Confused" and perhaps "Stumbled" class!

• outnfree
    outnfree

Having now realized that I don't want to be a "Goody Two-Shoes" anymore, but perhaps would rather resemble many of the "Goody"s who were around Salem, Massachusetts in the 17th century, I am going to stick my neck out here. The H*&L with whether or not it will cause controversy, I INSIST on eating my vanilla DQ cones with chocolate

SPRINKLES!!!

AND I'm born and raised in NJ, too, where the natives ALL call them "sprinkles." (I never heard them called "jimmies" until this God-awful WT "brought this out.") That Candyland Crafts company you cited must be run by a bunch of furreigners!!! No self-respecting Jerseyite would EVER ask for "jimmies" on his/her cone. (Maybe a Jimmy, though! )

BTW -- Rainbow colored sprinkles are for kids. Grow UP!!!

Edited to say: ROFL at your very a propos pic, Monsieur Biggs!

Edited by - outnfree on 23 July 2002 9:46:38

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Hi Biggs, i live in Louisiana we call them Sprinkle's. Condoms are called jimmies here, I dont think they would taste very good on ice cream.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Is this article for real? Is this really in 10/15/02 Watchtower mag.?

If it is,....( sigh )...

They should have put:

Question from readers:" How many child molesters in JW organization?" or "How many predictions/prophecies by the WTS didn't come true?"

By the way I call those little things on icecream, "sprinkles".

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

WildTurkey- Don't they make flavored condom's now?

sunshineToo- No, this is not for real. My mind just works in an unusual manner. LOL!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

chocolate ones are Jimmies

• badwillie
    badwillie

Biggs -

Admit it, you secretly work on the WT writing committee right?

NIce article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit