Who or What is the Holy Spirit?

by FusionTheism 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Nice summary. We are studying about the Spirit at the moment because JW's don't really have it in their lives or really grasp it, and in our "innocent" questionings, they can't explain it beyond the stupid remote control illustration.
    It is clearly far more than that. Thank you for more scriptures to contemplate.

Not one person can explain what it is, despite claims otherwise.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Viviane,

We don't need to know what something is made of before accepting its existence.

Otherwise, scientists would NOT accept the existence of Dark Energy, Dark Matter, or Black Holes.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Or The Force! @fusion

• Viviane
    Viviane
    We don't need to know what something is made of before accepting its existence.
    Otherwise, scientists would NOT accept the existence of Dark Energy, Dark Matter, or Black Holes.

I never made a claim related to your reply. I am simply pointing our that anyone making claims that they can explain what spirit, holy spirit, spirits, etc., are making false claims.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

After reading a book of Dr. Walter Weber I remembered this thread about "Spirit'". I conclude that "Spirit" is a very appropriate term for the human being in its entire spiritual dimension. This is basis for further thoughs about biblical and religious applications of the term spirit.

Dr. Walter Weber described the role of the human ego, the spiritual being, and its forms of expression in a german book titled "Die Seele heilt den Menschen" (Healing comes from the soul), Germany, 1992 [excerpts in rough translation by me]
    The millenium-old awareness that there is a connection between, body, soul and spirt and that human has to be viewed as entity/as a whole. (was the knowledge of old cultures and eastern and native medicine, indian and chinese medicine, e.g. Egypt, Greece see details in annex below)
    Mental troubles have its origin in the Ego, "the soul" he explains, and body symptoms are in the end expressions of the Ego. Dr. Weber has experience in treatment of mental health troubles.

About the structure of human beings, Weber wrote, the central level of a person is the "Soul", the "Ego","the Myself", the actual personality, the spiritual being. This central Myself level has its own world of sensation and feelings, a world of thoughts and world of perception/idea summarized as "mental level".
    This mental area is not subordinated, it stands on the highest position of all areas, compared with the other qualities of the My-self sector, the world of language, actions and actions that adopted shape = materia = body including mental-organic processes.

He structures the mental level as follows:

• notions - thoughts
    • ideas
    • sensation
    • intention
    • objectives
    • decision
    • programs, routine

In case of mental troubles superordinate notions are deployed in therapy. E.g. for the
    1) Myself-Level: In case of a trouble in the Myself-zone the following superordinate notions can be helpful:Myself-disturbance, ego-dysfunction: " I have self-confidence" - "i stick to myself" - " I decide about my thinking, action, speaking and doing"Egotism: "I respect others" - " I accept that others are respronsible for themself"
    2) for the Mental level: On the level of ideas and notions trouble can be existent too. If you cant imagine things and processes you can help yourself with the following superior notion:"I determine my ideas" - " I get clear imagination before I speak or act"
    3) For the other levels, language, action and posessions it is necessary to recognize and dissolve blockings by means of unconscious programs:

Language. " i can speak with everyone freely about everything and openly"

Action: "I only execute things, that i have imagined clear to myself and about which i have decided explicit"

Posessions: " I can posess things, but I dont have to posess them".

He describes the task of the therapeut as checking the mental levels and finding out if the other levels of expressions of the Ego are without troubles. He mentions frequent mental problems with suitable notions are:

Being Alone: "I live in harmony with myself and other people and easily establish good contact with them.

No help: " I can accept help" - I can help without contraint and false intention"

Time: " I have enough time"Fear: "I have confidence in myself, my fellow men and my life".

My interpretation in reference to the term Spirit:Perhaps you remember the wildhorse "Spirit" from the film, and you can imagine its courage and impulse for freedom because it was a wildhorse. Likewise i find it fine to say that the spirit is what constitutes the entire spirtual dimension of an animal and a human being (="spiritual being" perhaps?) Recognizable are several qualities of our spiritual dimension. The expressions of our ego zone, mental zone and even bodily qualities like strength, beauty, courage, charisma are called our spirituality. (The level of energy in these expressions is not my task)

Does spirit exist: Yes, we can see the expression of the spirit and thus we know many about a human being, a spiritual being. The existence is not quantifyable but the qualities can be recognized and thus we can trust that we see not a ghost but a spiritual being with soul, heart and emotions.

The wonder of you would in the end be....your spirit. ;-)
    ... again i discovered something meaninful for myself, didnt I and you alread knew it?

Annex ancient cultures:

In greece it was frownd upon to to fiddle around at at the symptoms, the question about the life sircumstances of was a matter of course. This was the starting point of the treatment, while medicine and drugs were applied supportively.

In Egypt were 3 groups of healers: Priests, doctors and a group that could be called today alternativ medicine. During the first 3 days of an disease it was forbidden under captial punishment to approach to the patient. During these days the patient was treated only by the priest. He tried to find out, what was the reason for the disharmony of a person with itself, his surrounding or the cosmic laws.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    After reading a book of Dr. Walter Weber I remembered this thread about "Spirit'". I conclude that "Spirit" is a very appropriate term for the human being in its entire spiritual dimension. This is basis for further thoughs about biblical and religious applications of the term spirit.

Until anyone can define spirit in a way that isn't simply metaphor for something else, this is the equivalent of arguing whether or not Spiderman can beat up Thor, except we have evidence for Spiderman and Thor.

Your argument for basis for thought is nonsense.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Sigh.... Viv, Thor is a God. Spiderman is just a kid who got bitten by a radioactive spider that gave him the the proportional strength of said arachnid. Nobody ever argues that spiderman is remotely on Thors level in strength/power.

Also nobody worships spiderman.

Also Thor is real, spiderman is just a fictional comic character.

A more appropriate comparison would be goku verses superman, which is also silly because superman wins everytime but at least they are both fictional.

Like the spirit.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

This is a funny thread!

This triggered a memory in me: When I was an elder, the PO (no longer a position, right?) confided in me that he didn't understand Holy Spirit or know what it was.....he felt guilty about it.

Of course, he was 'appointed by holy spirit'.................god its all so funny now.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    What really shows how stupid that whole theory proves to be is that once appoimted elders are told that their appointment is not in fact by HS. The wt says that an appointment can only be said to be by HS to the extent that the brother meets and lives upto the qualifications in the scriptures. A classic 'moving the goal post' maner of evidentiary logic. And complete bull*bleep*
  • paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

Fusion Theist

love the research you do.

Have you considered a research of the holy spirit in relation to christians - being baptised with holy spirit, having the help of the spirit, being anointed with it, the spirit dwelling in you.

I am very interested in this theme

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit